New board software online (March 13)

I've been on a board that uses this software-it's pretty good. B)

Avatars don't work yet. :blink: I can wait. B)
[/b]

You can link an avatar from an external URL like I did, but the upload avatars seems to be bugged at the moment. Tim is working on a small list of things.

Uploads are fixed as of 0832Z.

We haven't decided yet on a policy about attachments/images, but avatars will certainly be allowed as usual. We'll make the adjustments.

Tim

Do I have to click on every thread to get rid of the "new messages" icon? On the old Stormtrack the software just seemed to mark a thread as read after a certain even I didn't read it.

Also, is there any way to use a web image as an avatar or do I have to upload one to the stormtrack site?

Edit: just figured out the first problem. Click on the link in the upper left to mark forum as read.

"I like how it will automatically resize your avatar if it's too big now"

Plus for those who hate avatars & sigs, you can turn off display of other user's!

I think it's a little bit confusing, I've never used Invision Powerboards before. I guess I will get used to it, I have to....what is the link at the bottom "Low-Fi Version"?

It gets rid of most of the graphics, buttons, and so forth. The spidering engines from Google, Yahoo, etc like to use the low-fi version, and that's fine with me since it's less of a drain on the server.

Tim

Looks good. Was thinking of upgrading my own boards to Invision. The only thing I'm not quite a fan of is the look. I've posted on a lot of Invision boards and I'm getting really sick of the look. Perhaps you could upgrade or tweak the theme to make a different from the millions of other Invision boards. Otherwise, I think the upgrade is good.

It gets rid of most of the graphics, buttons, and so forth.
[/b]

Not to mention it reduces precious bandwidth when running mobile internet. I get a good throughput on my Cingular connection, but switching to Lo-Fi would be the way to go while in the field.

Thanks Tims!

I agree... I'm not really thrilled about the square, dull appearance. I made a few small changes on the index page to break the monotony. Anthony Petito offered to make a skin for the board yesterday... I PM'd him and mentioned we were interested.

Tim

The only thing I'm not quite a fan of is the look. I've posted on a lot of Invision boards and I'm getting really sick of the look. Perhaps you could upgrade or tweak the theme to make a different from the millions of other Invision boards. Otherwise, I think the upgrade is good.[/b]

Not to mention it reduces precious bandwidth when running mobile internet. I get a good throughput on my Cingular connection, but switching to Lo-Fi would be the way to go while in the field.

Thanks Tims!
[/b]

Wow, I didn't even think about that... That's awesome! I know we've had suggestions in the past to ban all pictures from NOW threads, since those can really bog down a cell data connection in the field. This should prevent that problem entirely, so that's very nice. Perhaps that means we can lift the discouragement of graphics in the NOW thread?

Excellent job Tim! This IPB layout is alot like another board I belong to, I find it very well thought out and organized, and if i'm not mistaken, when you get a PM, the pop-up includes a portion of the message, so you can get a preview of whats in it. Also, I agree that the Lo-Fi version really helps when you need quick access (also better on the PSP as well.)

Something I've noticed is that you can't search the forums for anything less than a four letter word. I went to do a search with "GPS" in it and got that error. If that is a limit that can be reconfigured to include 3 letter words also, that would be helpful.

Edit: Thanks for the workaround!

Back