My New Chasemobile

Joey Ketcham

I got my new Chasemobile, I'll slowly be getting it ready throughout the rest of this year and into the winter months of 2006 to prepare for my 1st ever full week chase vacation.

Right now the only thing I have is my GPS hardmounted inside of it, I still need to get my scanner installed and get a scanner antenna and run the wiring for it.

Anyways, here's a picture of it I took today.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.kschaser.com/chasemobile.jpg

The room was the big thing for me, having a Ford Taurus the past couple chase season just didn't work for me. By the time I mounted the laptop in it along with the camcorder, GPS, maps, scanners I just felt like I had no breathing room and plus it just felt cluttered in it.

So this will be a very nice chasemobile to have with plenty of room. The gas mileage isn't too bad, my Taurus was a gas hog. I can get 350 miles on this when filled up, my taurus only got 280 miles on it or so.

What do you mean by NMO the scanner antenna?

I just get the antennas that you can stick onto the glass of your vehicle, I used those my previous chase seasons and work well. I might try something different, haven't yet started looking.

I'll have to go back through the previous "Scanner Antenna" threads and see what is recommended and go from there.

Nice looking ride Joey, hope it does better on gas than my ford truck does.

What do you mean by NMO the scanner antenna?

I just get the antennas that you can stick onto the glass of your vehicle, I used those my previous chase seasons and work well. I might try something different, haven't yet started looking.

I'll have to go back through the previous "Scanner Antenna" threads and see what is recommended and go from there.

NMO is the kind of antenna that David Drummond used on his van..
http://stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?...?t=5765&start=0..

Ahh.. no I'll probably stick with magnetic, or one that mounts on glass.

Yeah, definately no drilling of the body, inside drilling (scanners and such) will be kept to a minimal.

i seen a nice antenna mount that clamped on the lip of the rear hatch.. check that out Joey.. Nice ride.

I'll second the NMO mounts. I've always used mag mounts on my older vehicles. Purchase a 2000 explorer in mint condition in october and finally got the guts to take a drill to the roof of it to try out permanant mount antennas. ONly thing I can say about that is I will NEVER go back to mag mounts. It's really a straight forward install on something big like that and my explorer, and the best part, I feel, is that you can get plugs to seal the hole when you decide to sell the truck, and with the hole being on the roof, no one will ever notice. Another bonus is the wiring is completely non exposed until you get it near the radio.

Another thing to consider is a nice vehicle specific console from Havis Shields. Might be a little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. I did have the cash, so I just built my own, but i wish i would have got something like this. Here is the one for your expedition

http://www.havis.com/consolidator_consoles.../vsseries6.html

Back