KATRINA/RITA VICTIMS CHARITY DVD

All,

The deadline for submissions for the charity DVD is rapidly approaching. There are a few chapter that we've had a very challenging time receiving submissions:

21 March (OK, TX)
Jim LaDue
901 96th Ave SE, Norman, OK 73026
[email protected]

12 May (TX)
Dave Lewison
51-E Sherwood Forest Rd., Wappingers Falls, NY 12590
[email protected]

4 June 04 (KS, OK)
Michael Peregrine
1601 SE Moore Rd., St. Joseph, MO 64507
[email protected]

5 June (OK)
Greg Stumpf
1413 Castlebay, Norman, OK 73071
[email protected]

7 June (SD)
Blake Naftel
515 Minor Ave. Apt. B, Kalamazoo, MI 49008
[email protected]

11 June (TX)
Blake Naftel
515 Minor Ave. Apt. B, Kalamazoo, MI 49008
[email protected]

12 June (TX)
Jason Politte
1313 McNutt Rd. #47, Conway, AR 72034
[email protected]

If you have any footage that you would like to contribute to this project, please contact the appropriate chapter producer NOW, and arrange for the quickest way/format to send the contributions. Thanks!

greg

Just an update for everyone...

All the video and photo contributions have been submitted, and the chapter producers are well on their way in producing their individual chapters. We expect to have the chapters completed by Oct 22, afterwhich, Jim and I will mix and author the DVD. Expect these to be available for sale in mid-November, if not sooner.

Again, we'd like to wholeheartedly thank everyone who has contributed their materials, time, and/or effort to the project!

Greg

sourcebackground2005-1_02.gif

Storm chasers helping storm victims in their time of need

With four major landfalling U.S. hurricanes and the Asian Tsunami, nobody could imagine that the need for disaster relief could be eclipsed.

Then came Katrina, forcing the largest humanitarian relief response that the Red Cross has ever experienced. Other major hurricanes and even autumn tornadoes followed.

In our way to help the needs of those affected by these great storms, we are proud to introduce to you another truly unique summary of storm stories.

To order online, please visit: ]http://www.stormsof2005.org/http://www.stormsof2005.org/[/color

Cost is only $20 per DVD (plus s&h). Storms of 2004 DVDs are also again available for $20 each (plus s&h). A set of both DVDs is only $35 (plus s&h).

Order by December 10 2005 to guarantee shipping before Christmas! Offer is good while supplies last.

Did you know:

This DVD is the sequel to the highly successful Storms of 2004 which raised over $4,000 for charity.

The DVD will be shown at the American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting Electronic Theatre in Atlanta, Georgia in January/February of 2006. This conference is the premiere gathering site for professional meteorologists in the world.

All profits from the sales of this DVD will be donated to charity. Our primary beneficiary will be the American Red Cross, to aid in their tireless efforts in disaster relief. You may receive a tax deduction on a portion of your purchase.

Other beneficiaries include the Central Oklahoma Chapter of the American Meteorological Society and National Weather Association, and others to be named later.

Eight chase day stories were edited by nine producers. The chase days March 21, April 10, April 21, May 12, June 4, June 5, June 9, and June 12, plus a special chapter devoted to chaser footage from Hurricane Katrina comprise over one hundred minutes of footage. A few of the producers you may recognize. You're welcome to check the producers page.

You will find an educational flair to the chase stories as you will see the maps the chasers used, and where the chasers are located on radar images of the storms.

Make a difference in the life of a storm victim while enjoying some of the most incredible storm video of 2005.

A must for any storm video fan, and the only video dedicated solely to helping storm victims.

Sincerely,
Greg Stumpf and Jim LaDue, plus the other 48 contributors

Storms of 2005 World Premiere

We are planning the world premiere of the Storms of 2005 at 6:30pm on Saturday, December 3, 2005, at NSSL in Norman, Oklahoma. DVDs will be available for sale at the showing, and we will rent a movie-style popcorn machine again and provide drinks. This is being sponsored by the Central Oklahoma Chapter of the AMS (COCAMS) and the NSSL/SPC Employees Association (NSEA).

More details in a few days.

greg

[edited for date change and location]

Re: Storms of 2005 World Premiere

We are planning the world premiere of the Storms of 2005 at 7-9pm on Friday, December 2, 2005
NOTE: Date change!!!

The Storms of 2005 DVD premiere will be taking place on Saturday, December 3, 2005. The date change was done to accomodate a conflict on Friday night with the OU student chapter of the AMS (OUSCAMS).

Doors will open at 6:30pm. Movie-style popcorn and soft drinks will be served. The show will begin promptly at 7pm, so please show up early to socialize, etc. DVDs will be available for sale before and after the show. The running time is approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Location will be the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL), 1313 Halley Circle, Norman, OK (use maps.google.com or your favorite mapping program for directions). Please use the front entrance, and ring the bell if locked.

REMINDER</span>

The <a href=\'http://stormsof2005.org\' target=\'_blank\'>Storms of 2005 DVD</a> premiere will be taking place on Saturday, December 3, 2005.

Doors will open at 6:30pm. Movie-style popcorn and soft drinks will be served. The show will begin promptly at 7pm, so please show up early to socialize, etc. DVDs will be available for sale before and after the show. The running time is approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes.

<span style=\'color:indigo\'>Anne Clouse, Financial Development Director of the Heart of Oklahoma Chapter of the American Red Cross will be present at the beginning to say a few words about how your donation helps disaster relief, both nationally, and locally in Central Oklahoma.

Location will be the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL), 1313 Halley Circle, Norman, OK (use maps.google.com or your favorite mapping program for directions). Please use the front entrance, and ring the bell if locked.

I appreciate the kind remarks by some of the folks who attended the DVD premiere last night. See:

http://stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9243

http://stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9151

I have to say that it was almost a no show. I plugged in the rented movie popcorn machine and I was showered by sparks. There was apparently an electrical short somewhere in the machine. After lamenting for a few minutes about the loss of popcorn for the event, I walked out into the conference room, and noticed that the short tripped a circuit breaker to all the electrical outlets that power the room's audio- visual equipment - none of it was working! But if it weren't for the efforts of Steve and Sarah Corfidi (both on shift at SPC at the time), who spent 30 minutes tracking down the tripped circuit breaker, this show would have never happened. I also want to thank NSSL students Kiel Ortega, Terra Thompson, and friend, for cutting and inserting the DVD case sleeves for me while I was running around trying to secure alternate a/v equipment (which we ended up not needing). I also want to thank Anne Clouse from the local Red Cross chapter for coming out and saying some words about the importance of the charity at the beginning of the show.

So - the DVD selling challenge is being met. In just 16 days of sales, we've already sold 195 DVDs (75 were sold to the AMS national chapter to re-sell at the AMS annual meeting in January in Atlanta). Last year, our total for the entire campaign was only 215. Last year, we raised just over $4K for charity. I have a goal to raise over $20K this year. This will require selling more than 5x as many DVDs, since the wholesale costs are a little higher this year, and the retail cost is less. So, the challenge continues! I'd like to see another orders for at least 50 more DVDs before December 10!

Order now! http://stormsof2005.org[/b]http://stormsof2005.org[/color]

Again, thanks to all those who attended the premiere and supported the cause with your purchases.

greg

This will require selling more than 5x as many DVDs, since the wholesale costs are a little higher this year, and the retail cost is less. So, the challenge continues! I'd like to see another orders for at least 50 more DVDs before December 10!

I'd sell that thing for $30. Going off the price of chase videos right now it is certainly worth that. That is charity aspect aside too.

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead
I'd sell that thing for $30. Going off the price of chase videos right now it is certainly worth that. That is charity aspect aside too.
We took a $25 price to a local event (2005 TESSA meeting) and only sold 4 DVDs. We lowered the price to $20 at another event (National Severe Weather Workshop) and sold about 25. Very similar crowds at both (mostly spotters and general public). Something about handing us one bill versus two also seems to do the trick.

Of course, $20 can be a "suggested minimum donation"! We'd be happy to take more!

Suggestion:

I really enjoyed Storms of 2004. I'm still waiting to see 2005. For those chasers who enjoy the "Storms of" series and are feeling charitable, why not buy a couple extra as gifts or for as a donation to your local library (county or school). There may be some kid who is developing an interest in weather and goes to the library to see what they have. I did when I was young.

Bill Hark

Hey Greg - I sent a comment in with the online article with the web address for the DVD. Maybe that will get added to the feedback at the bottom of the article.

Glen

Originally posted by Glen Romine
Hey Greg - I sent a comment in with the online article with the web address for the DVD. Maybe that will get added to the feedback at the bottom of the article.

Glen

LOL I did as well.

Back