KATRINA/RITA VICTIMS CHARITY DVD

I don't have any video to contribute this year, but if you plan to include a montage of stills, I do have a couple nice ones from June 8 and 13 that I would be willing to contribute. And count me in for buying a copy when it comes out.

This post can be deleted, as the Storms Of 2005 project is in the works. Thanks to all who offered contributions.

Greg Stumpf has asked to have this message relayed to the ST community while he is away....He has requested only private email responses, no PM's. Click here for access to ST email for Greg:
http://stormtrack.org/forum/profile.php?mo...ode=email&u=877
Or you can PM me and I'll give you his address. (I didn't want to post it for privacy reasons).

All,

Jim LaDue and I are spearheading another "Storms of" DVD project, this
time for 2005 storms to raise charitable contributions to Katrina
victims. We have lined up co-producers for all the chapters except
one. We are looking for a volunteer with decent video editing skills
and artistry to co-produce a 5 minute chapter on the 7 June 2005 South
Dakota event. We need to line up a volunteer in the next 1-2 days, or
we are going to have to drop this very important chapter. If you are
interested in doing this, or know someone not on on our list who is
interested (preferably, someone who also chased the event and was
immersed in the meteorology of the event, and can work on short order -
next 1 month), please contact me ASAP (by Monday 9/12). Thanks![/url]

Last year, Jim LaDue and Greg Stumpf, along with their co-producers, brought to you the “Storms of 2004†DVD (http://www.towerofstorms.net/sls22), the most unique compilation of storm chasers’ video of the incredible 2004 storm season of its kind. This 2 hour DVD production was the highlight of the American Meteorological Society’s 22nd Conference on Severe Local Storms in Hyannis, Massachusetts in October 2004. The DVD was then subsequently sold as a charitable fundraiser, with proceeds benefiting the American Red Cross efforts to help victims of the natural disasters in 2004, including the four Florida hurricanes, and the Southeast Asian Tsunami. Proceeds were also donated to the Heart of Oklahoma Chapter of the Red Cross, who dealt with the devastating tornadoes in Moore and Oklahoma City in 1999 and 2003, as well as the Central Oklahoma Chapter of the AMS, who underwrote the costs of the production. All profits from the sales of the DVD were donated to charity. In the end, over $4000 dollars were raised by the sales of the DVD.

Witnessing the catastrophic devastation in the Gulf Coast due to the impact of Hurricane Katrina, Jim and Greg are teaming up again to produce a “Storms of 2005†DVD. As like last year, all profits for the sale of the DVD will be donated to charity, primarily to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund to aid victims of the hurricane. Jim and Greg will be aided by the help of chapter co-producers, like last year, with some familiar names in the storm chasing community donating their efforts.

We are going to develop a DVD in which the "Storms of 2005" will be the focus. We plan to develop different "chapters" focusing on some of the more noteworthy storm events of the 2005 storm season, including a special chapter devoted to storm chase video from Hurricane Katrina. Each chapter will include some "set-up" information, including synoptic/mesoscale maps, radar/satellite loops, and storm verification information. Then, the remainder of the chapter will be a semi-chronological replay of video and digital stills of the event, with interlaced submissions from multiple chasers. The “Storms of 2005†DVD will also be shown at the 2006 AMS Annual Meeting in Atlanta, as part of their “Electronic Theatre†shows, and in conjunction with the special Severe Local Storms Symposium.

This announcement is the official solicitation for submissions of video and digital stills for the event. As like last year, submissions are 100% for charity, and therefore we will not be compensating anyone for their costs. For this year’s production, we are asking that contributors send their submission directly to the chapter producers. This will help save time in the production, so that the DVD can be ready for sale in the not too distant future.

Deadline for submissions is receipt of the video/stills to the chapter producers no later than Tuesday 27 September, 2005. This is two weeks from today. Please make every effort to rush your video submissions to the chapter producers if you wish to be included in this special fundraiser (Priority Mail or Fed Ex preferred). We hope to have the DVD produced and on the market sometime in early November 2005.

The following list includes the events from 2005 that we will be highlighting on this DVD. Please do not send any video/stills from any other event, since it will not be used, and don’t send submissions from multiple events only to one producer. Send your submission for each event directly to the chapter producer, and follow the guidelines below. The individual chapter producers may post/email additional information regarding their specific chapters in the next few days. Please email (not PM) your chapter producer in advance of sending your video submission so that they can plan accordingly.

CHAPTER: PRODUCER / SNAIL MAIL ADDRESS / EMAIL ADDRESS

21 March (OK, TX)
Jim LaDue
901 96th Ave SE, Norman, OK 73026
[email protected]

10 April (OK, KS)
Mike Umschied
113 Plains St. #A, Dodge City, KS 67801
[email protected]

21 April (KS)
Shane Adams and Mickey Ptak
1300 Crown Point Ave. #15, Norman, OK 73072
[email protected]

12 May (TX)
Dave Lewison
51-E Sherwood Forest Rd., Wappingers Falls, NY 12590
[email protected]

4 June 04 (KS, OK)
Michael Peregrine
1601 SE Moore Rd., St. Joseph, MO 64507
[email protected]

5 June (OK)
Greg Stumpf
1413 Castlebay, Norman, OK 73071
[email protected]

7 June (SD)
Blake Naftel
515 Minor Ave. Apt. B, Kalamazoo, MI 49008
[email protected]

9 June (KS)
Amos Magliocco
1901 Jasmine Street, Denton, TX 76205
[email protected]

11 June (TX)
Blake Naftel
515 Minor Ave. Apt. B, Kalamazoo, MI 49008
[email protected]

12 June (TX)
Jason Politte
1313 McNutt Rd. #47, Conway, AR 72034
[email protected]

Hurricane Katrina
Martin Lisius
Prairie Pictures, Inc., PO Box 122020, Arlington, TX 76012
[email protected]

If you are submitting video or digital still material for the DVD, we request that the contributors follow these STRICT GUIDELINES for submission (or risk not being included):

1. We need your best RAW video clips from 2005, with no more than 10 total minutes' worth of clips per person per chapter. By limiting the length of the submission, it facilitates the chapter producer’s job of hunting down the best video to include.

2. Contributors should include an index to their contributions with dates/times/locations of each clip. If you can, please include a few clips ("video bites" - perhaps 15 seconds each?) of storm structure and/or initial and ending shots of storms to help "tell the whole storm story".

3. Digital stills are acceptable. Each digital still will be counted the same as 10 seconds of video. Resolution should be at least twice the size of normal NTSC video resolution (so, twice the size of 720x480).

4. No "pre-edited" highlights productions will be used. We will take your raw clips and interlace them with others' clips. Please refrain from adding any music, video transitions, overlaid graphics, or special effects to your submissions. We want to interlace all the contributions from many chasers for each event showing a semi-chronological recount of the storms and tornadoes. If you've seen the “Storms of 2004" DVD - think that.

5. DO NOT add your own copyright line or watermarks to the video. We will add a continuous text graphic with a copyright line per author for each scene at a specific location on the screen.

6. Formats allowed include AVI or MPEG2 files burned to CD or DVD, Mini-DV, Hi8, 8mm, or VHS. DO NOT send video transfers to DVD (e.g., direct DVD recordings or VIDEO_TS directories). These are not easily nor digitally extractable for video productions.

7. Include any material that may aid in the "set-up" portion of each major event. This may include electronic graphics of weather data, and information on your chase strategy and decision making.

8. You must grant the right for your entire submission to be sold on a special fundraising DVD, with all profits being donated to charity. Please fill out and sign a “Storms of 2005†submission release form and mail it to Greg Stumpf. By signing this form, you are not relinquishing an exclusive copyright. The release statement just allows for free non-exclusive use for the benefit DVD. You can still market your video elsewhere. This form is available for download at:

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~stumpf/stormsof20...005_release.pdf

9. Deadline for submission of materials is Tuesday 27 Sep 2005. Any materials received after the deadline will not be included. We are producing this DVD on very short order since the need for Katrina charity is greatest now.

We will repeat this information at the following web page in the next few days:

http://www.stormsof2005.org

Remember, 100% of the profits will be donated to charity. There, we request that all contributors submit materials at their own expense (e.g., materials, postage), and all contributors to purchase their own copy of the DVD, so that we maximize profits. We hope that you can participate for this honorable cause!

Greg Stumpf and Jim LaDue

Originally posted by Greg Stumpf

1. We need your best RAW video clips from 2005, with no more than 10 total minutes' worth of clips per person per chapter. Each digital still will be counted the same as 10 seconds of video. By limiting the length of the submission, it facilitates the chapter producer’s job of hunting down the best video to include.

The following request is applicable for the June 12th chapter:

In addition to Greg's quote above, I'm also seeking good steady tripoded footage from this day that can be time-lapsed. This can include storm structure, growing cumulus, etc. . . I know that time-lapses require a lot of footage and can easily eat up the ten minute time limit, so it's by my request that those who will be submitting video for June 12 disregard the ten minute limit regarding time-lapse footage.

For example, if you have ten minutes of amazing footage to submit for June 12 but also have lengthy steady tripoded structure shots that you also want to submit, please do so. I don't care if it causes the submission to be an hour long. Also, please don't speed the video up before sending. I want to be able to set the appropriate pace for the time-lapse. Thanks - I'm looking forward to receiving some incredible video for this charitable cause!

Jason

P.S. If a contributor wants to submit the video as a file, no MPEG2's please, only AVI's. Thanks!

Originally posted by Jason_Politte
In addition to Greg's quote above, I'm also seeking good steady tripoded footage from this day that can be time-lapsed. This can include storm structure, growing cumulus, etc. . . I know that time-lapses require a lot of footage and can easily eat up the ten minute time limit, so it's by my request that those who will be submitting video for June 12 disregard the ten minute limit regarding time-lapse footage.
I hadn't considered this. If we can compute what a normal time lapse speed would be, e.g., 10x, then up to 100 minutes of video intended for time lapse could be allowed. However, that would add a burden to the producers to have to look at a lot more video, unless the submitter has already converted it to a time lapse.

We'll allow this "exception" for the individual producers, as they desire, in their individual messages. For my 5 June chapter, please separate out any "time lapse" submissions from the rest.

OK - we now have the 4 June chapter producer lined up. Please use this information to send your submissions. I will also edit the previous post in case folks read that first.

4 June 04 (KS, OK)
Michael Peregrine
1601 SE Moore Road, St. Joseph, Missouri 64507
[email protected]

greg

Originally posted by Kurt Hulst
I see theres no chapter for JUNE 29. A very good day in my mind. If there is i may want to contribute.
We're already full right now, but I've posed the question to the co-producers. We'll let everyone know.

We've added new information about the submission of digital stills:

Digital stills are acceptable. Each digital still will be counted the same as 10 seconds of video. Resolution should be at least twice the size of normal NTSC video resolution (so, twice the size of 720x480).

Since I don't have a lot of time to hunt down other potential June 4th contributors - if anyone on the list has June 4th video they are interested in adding to the cause, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]. We'll need to make some very quick arrangements to get the video to me (i.e., FedEx before this weekend). But I'll be happy to take a look at it to determine whether it should be included. While all submissions will be reviewed for this particular date, we're primarily interested in the Hiawatha storm that went on to produce additional tornadoes to the Iowa state line. If I receive no other contributions, I have plenty of video to fill up 5 minutes for this day, but including alternate views is always a good thing.

I'll need to get the video very quickly, as I plan to get nitty and gritty in the editing this weekend. In addition to the requirements Greg outlines above, I request that video be digitized and formatted on either digital 8 or mini-DV media to ease compilation on my end. And along with Jason's post, any high quality, tripoded video that can be time-lapsed from any storm on the 4th would be outstanding. Thanks!

-----------------

EDIT - if you need to email me over the weekend concerning this, please use my home account at [email protected] or send a private message to me through Stormtrack - thank you -

Same goes for me...
So far I've only received one contributor for May 12 video of the TX Panhandle storms. I KNOW there were a lot of chasers out that day, and I also know many had an unpleasant hail encounter (including yours truly!) If you are willing to contribute video, please contact me at: [email protected]

Thanks!!!

Hi,

I sent an e-mail in regards to June 7th 2005 and received no response. Unfortunately being in Australia, I have run out of time to send since it takes 11 days to send. I would have loved to contribute June 5th 2005 tornado footage tripoded and June 7th footage lots of timelapse from the east. Unfortunately I'll have to await another time when there is a little more time provided to send. Good luck with the project.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

I've been on a family vacation for the past 5 days and am now catching up...

I too have only gotten one reply about submissions for the 5 June event, and it is for stills only (even after privately emailing folks I know who were there).

Please donate! Please contact the appropriate folks in the original list if you have something you can contribute. We know this is short notice, but given the situation, we don't have much of a choice since it takes time to coordinate all of this.

Jimmy - it is not too late if you send video now. Don't wait for a reply - just send the video, rush delivery. Just email folks that it is in the mail. Or, upload the .avi files to an FTP server. I suggested this to Blake, who is the 7 June chapter producer.

greg

Hi Greg,

Sending via fast mail will cost me over $100 from my last quote - I personally cannot afford that.

Passing it up to a server I can only do if we allow it in mpeg format -
AVI with all the timelapse up to 1 hour of raw footage to be timelapsed.
We don't have the fast DSL speed here to upload though I could look for
somewhere - my upload speed here is 12kb per second! If it was accepted
that it is in timelapsed format, then that would reduce the load in
sending. Like I suggested, unless it was allowed in good mpeg 2 format.

Please note I am not making excuses - I want to find a way to send and
will try looking for a way to do it!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Back