Katrina New Orleans Video

Doug_Kiesling

Just got the first updates done to the site, www.stormchaservideo.com of the Hurricane Katrina video blog. I stayed in down town New Orleans and, it was more then Charley. Highrise buildings losing their roofs, windows blowing out, major flooding, and all around a huge diaster here.

The video is a wmv and you will need high speed internet because its 53 megs.

Got Debris? It hurts. I was nailed a couple times by flying stuff but it hit the life vest for the most part.

We're glad you made it. It was looking really bad for New Orleans and I was seriously thinking some chasers were not going to make it.

Tim

What I like most about your video is how the sound is unedited. I was thinking how that would drive me mad if I had to listen to it all night, like my friend did last year in Florida, wondering if she was about to lose her roof. Thanks for posting it.

Oh, I also found the vortices that appeared to be induced by the intersection interesting.

Awesome video... so far :)

Incredible video Doug, thank you so much for sharing :) Do you know what started that fire the firebrigade were fighting at the beginning of the clip?

Unfortunatly I'm only able to download 2 megabytes before the transfer completes.
confused.gif
I can view the clip, and WMP displays the length as 12ms10s, but only 25 or so seconds.

Obviously something on my end, but what? Anyone? I'm using Firefox.

Simon *Not that good at computers*

PS, "Shannon" is Tim's alias when he's strutting around in a dress, Chris.

:lol:

You just seem to miss somthing when you watch a news brodcast.To see
stormchase fotage and to hear the wind,,that is something.One of the
many reasons i Joined this forum.Doug im glad to hear your ok.

Re: Awesome video... so far :)

PS, "Shannon" is Tim's alias when he's strutting around in a dress, Chris.
:p I'm his wife. I had my account here deleted because I don't really chase anymore, but since the board is temporarily open I jumped back in. Trust me, Tim wouldn't wear a dress. :)

::waves hello::

BTW, I would have PMed this to the original poster who asked the question... but I can't since I have no account. I also figured Tim wouldn't look in this thread again anytime soon since he already posted here, and I can't have y'all going around accusing him of being a transvestite! So, sorry for the off topic post, and for hijacking Doug's thread.

Again, Doug, great video, and thanks for posting it without embellishment.

Good work Doug and way to do it as safely as possible but still getting the shot.

This was well worth the time to download.

I recognised a few places in those shots as well so I really found it amazing.

Re: Awesome video... so far :)

Incredible video Doug, thank you so much for sharing :) Do you know what started that fire the firebrigade were fighting at the beginning of the clip?

Power lines shorting out. You know what they say about downed power lines... Drop It Like Its Hot...

Massive power surges and shorts as the wind blew all the lines all over the place. That was actually 6 different office condos burning. One went and they all started to go with an 80 mph blast furnace.

Good work Doug and way to do it as safely as possible but still getting the shot.

This was well worth the time to download.

I recognised a few places in those shots as well so I really found it amazing.

I'll post the out takes when I get home. Hmmm, rental suv, full insurance, driving in a hurriace, smaller downed tree on the side of the I 10 entrance ramp to go back to the hotel... Wind gusts... Yeah, its kinda of funny.

Douglas,
that's a pretty awesome video! Thanks for sharing! :wink:

On that big one video (55MB)...between 4:21 and 4:30min, can you tell me what was the approx. wind speed? I got amazed about that amazing power! :shock:

Thanks,
Marko

Back