Identify the tornado — part II

Yay! Thanks for giving things a kick in the pants, Thomas. Love those older photos, too. The setting for this one looks a bit rural, but it could be the outskirts of a city. Is this the Dallas, 1957, tornado?

Horrific revelation time — no, it isn't the Dallas tornado!!! :shock:

Is looking at the photo properties cheating? Some do a good job of hiding the origin of the photo, while others make it way to easy.

Wichita Falls, TX, April 3rd,1964, 7 Deaths, 111 injured, 225 homes destroyed, and 15 million in damage.

Is looking at the photo properties cheating? Some do a good job of hiding the origin of the photo, while others make it way to easy.

Agreed, if you don't copy the image to a local server, and just link the image through the online url, then opening the image into a new browser gives the image location - which makes it way too easy to track down. Please copy images to a local server - and change the image name - otherwise if you just google the image name you can also find it pronto.

Glen

Ok, I believe the right to post belongs to Simon, but in the interest of keeping things going I’ll put up a new pic. Sorry Simon if I offend.

Due to copyrights, which are explicitly stated on this page I could not relocate or rename this picture. So if you look at the photo properties this will be easy. Otherwise this might be fun, as this is the only know photo of the tornado(s).

[Broken External Image]:http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/tornadoesgartner-cs.jpg

I did not look at the photo properties, but this one is still an easy one to identify (okay...maybe it's not THAT easy...I'm just a tornado climo nerd!). Two of the Grand Island, NE tornadoes of June 3, 1980.

Gabe

I made it easy; I picked a source which gave the location misspelt!!!

BTW, this is from a set of at least 4 photos taken from Sheppard AFB, as the tornado headed straight for it (houselots like those in the foreground bore the brunt of the blow). 4 pictures, including this one, appeared in (I think) Howard Critchfield's General Climatology. The first in the set, of the pre-tornado wall cloud, appeared in Significant Tornadoes.

Yes Gabe, you are correct. As the only known photo, I guess maybe it should have been recognized. Looks like I made it to easy. There were 7 tornados, which pounded Grand Island, NE on the night of June 3rd, 1980. 3 – F1’s, 1 – F2, 2- F3’s, and 1- F4, almost all coming under the cover of darkness. Here is a link to the site. http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/grandisl...d1980-2000.html

What a great way to learn tornado history!

Yes the Puget Sound area is correct, but the date does not match the one that was with the photo. But again, the date that was with the photo does not correlate with any tornado records that I could find. So you may be correct. I was living just a few miles from this location (across the sound), but do not remember the event. Was just a young lad at the time.

I got my date from a report on Pierce County tornadoes, however the event-description for december 12, 1969 do not co-relate with what is happening in the photograph:

"A waterspout formed in the east passage near the southern tip of Maury Island. Shortly after it dissipated a second formed, barely missing Pierce County and moving into southern King County."

Back