Identify the tornado — part II

Ya'll have had too much fun w/out me! LOL

Btw, the Andover tornado occurred on April 26, 1991.

Glen beat me to the punch on the May 16, 1977 Cheyenne, OK tornado. What a day...that day a very violent looking wedge passed close to Shamrock, TX (this tornado is featured on one of the SPC front page photos). Gene Moore has some great pics from this day. http://www.chaseday.com/archives.htm

Glen, are you sure the last one is of the U.C. tornado? I didn't think it ever got that big...I could be wrong.

Gabe

Glen, are you sure the last one is of the U.C. tornado? I didn't think it ever got that big...I could be wrong.

Not 100% sure - but seems logical. I'm more certain the analysis overlain on the image was by Al Moller - not sure the pic is though - or if it is, it is probably a different tornado. There was extensive study done of this case though, which made the analysis overlay point in that direction. UC did get good sized, and was rated F4. Here is another pic:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/uctegt_2.jpg

Glen

Yep, photo #1 is of the Orienta, OK tornado of May 2, 1979; it was an F2, and there was a very impressive 16mm film taken of it for the NSSL . . .

Photo #2 is the Sweetwater, OK tornado of May 16, 1977, an F3, and seen here with an accompanying tornado on the flanking line (shear-line spin up, perhaps) . . .

. . . but no-one's got the bonus shot yet — though the state is right (OK). Getting warmer . . .

Well, let's list all the F4s with fatalities for OK during the 70's. Feel free to add if I miss any.

October 5, 1970 at Shawnee, but couldn't find any pics of this event online.

Union City, but we already eliminated it.

Ft. Cobb on June 18, 1973 has the right appearance, but doesn't appear there were any fatalities with this event, so you have to throw it out.

http://www.chaseday.com/torn-ftcobb.htm

There was the June 8, 1974 Drumright tornado - I haven't found any pics to match it, but can't completely discount.

Next is June 13, 1975, near Stillwater, but again, no fatalities.

March 26, 1976 had a deadly F4 near Braden, but I haven't found any pics of this event.

May 30, 1976 was at night and no fatalities - so that's eliminated.

Alma on May 15, 1977 was at late evening, and couldn't find any pics - so maybe not.

May 18, 1977 was also an F4 event, but no fatalities.

April 30, 1978 at Piedmont was a large tornado, but no reported fatalities.

April 10, 1979 near Waurika, no fatalities.

Finally is May 2, 1979, the Orienta event that we already showed images of - maybe it's the same tornado but different view?

So, thats all that I could find. Does the tornado pic at least match one of the events on this list?

Glen

Yes, it does. But I didn't know the Orienta tornado was an F4 — did it get upgraded sometime?

Yes, it does. But I didn't know the Orienta tornado was an F4 — did it get upgraded sometime?

I think you are right - not the same - there were two tornadoes that day, about the same time - one tracking just north of the other. One might guess the southern track (F2) is the one in the NOAA archive:

OK# Date Time (CST) Length (miles) Width (yards) F-Scale Killed Injured Counties Path
79-24 5/02/1979 1615 21 880 F4 1 25 Major/ Garfield 4 NE Cleo Springs- 1 NE Meno- Lahoma- Far SW Enid

79-25 5/02/1979 1617 20 1760 F2 0 0 Major 11 W Orienta - 10 E Fairview

Glen

Yeah, I think both of those are in Significant Tornadoes, but the Orienta is the F2.

Anyway — one of those violent tornadoes on the list is the bonus picture!! It did cause fatalities — more than one, so it's not like it's just a typo in Storm Data — so take your pick! :idea:

I believe I have identified the “bonus tornadoâ€￾, but since I have used most of the clues posted by others, namely Glen, I will give someone else a shot before I post this evening

Ok I think I've got this one: Tulsa OK - june 8, 1974?

You are talking about the old bonus pic, right? If not, the new image is not from the same event as the Drumright tornado.

Glen

Back