Identify the tornado — part II

Thank you Glen, I found that page discussing the air flows of the Drumright tornado this morning. After you narrowed it down to three choices, it was fairly easy to find. Here is another tidbit about the June 8th outbreak. This is from Itellicast.com. It says there were 12 fatalities in Drumright, whereas the other information says 14.

"June 8, 1974

22 tornadoes touched down in Oklahoma and 4 in Kansas. An F4 tornado killed 12 people in Drumright, Oklahoma. An F3 tornado touched down at Will Rogers Field in Oklahoma City and damaged the National Weather Service Office. Two F3 tornadoes ravaged the city of Tulsa and then over 10 inches of rain deluged Tulsa County, resulting in the worst natural disaster in Tulsa's history up to the time. A tornado, rated F4, tracked 38 miles through Lyons, Osage, and Shawnee Counties in Kansas. Emporia, Kansas suffered heavy damage with 6 people killed, 220 injured, and 20 million dollars damage done."

Hey Glen I was talking about the photo you just posted. I'm sure the tornado was near or in Tulsa OK, though my guess for the date was based on 3 dates on wich I know there were tornadoes in Tulsa - june 8, 74 april 24, 93 and may 3, 99.

[Broken External Image]:http://livsstil.jubii.dk/debat/images/smilies/nut.gif I'm loosing myself here.

You are right Simon, the tornado is from near Tulsa, but this particular tornado did not hit the city. A hint is it was rated F4, and as you pointed out was near Tulsa. I'll let you ponder the decade, but the vehicle savvy may be able to determine this by figuiring out the make and model of the vehicle in the foreground.

Glen

I believe I have narrowed the field to 5 possibilities, but since I cannot find the photo, I have to ask for some more information;

Where there fatalities?
If yes more than 10?
May or June?

Glen, the photo you posted wasn't either of the March 26, 1976 events in Latimer and LeFlore counties, was it?

Originally posted by Thomas Loades
Glen, the photo you posted wasn't either of the March 26, 1976 events in Latimer and LeFlore counties, was it?

Sorry, the solution was lost in the server transfer. I think it was Jeff Wear who correctly identified the image as from the Mannford OK tornado. For those who missed it - here is something akin to the summary that I previously posted on this event.

On the morning of 29 April, 1984, at ~ 9:00am, an F4 tornado chewed through the town of Mannford, just a few miles south of another F4 tornado that had tracked through the area just 3 days prior. While the NCDC database suggests no fatalities occurred with this event, other accounts differ, including the records at NWS OUN (see id 84-27):

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/cgi-bin/tornad...pl?county=Creek

The Mannford Assembly of God was in the path, and it happened to be a Sunday morning....their website also indicates a church deacon was taken by the tornado:

http://www.mannfordassembly.com/family.htm

This same year was the great Memorial Day flood in Tulsa - making for a very memorable severe weather season.

Glen

Back