High Voltage Megawatt Gallery

These 3 are from tonight and they are my first EVER lightning pictures. It is now one of my favorite things to photograph because it can be so challenging. All 3 were taken at 18mm so I could get the full effect of the clouds. First attempt, quite bleek, but I'm learning. :)

[Broken External Image]:http://home.insightbb.com/~silent_shadow03/lightning1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://home.insightbb.com/~silent_shadow03/lightning2.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://home.insightbb.com/~silent_shadow03/lightning3.jpg

Just a question. How would I do it with my Kodiak 5.0 Mp digital camera? I tried while I was at home, and I only was able to get blurry images and trails from nearby lights. I only have been successful with video stills, but that's easy.

I want a shot as good as Susan's! :)

Marko - Nice daytime work! Photographing lightning in the daytime is even more difficult than catching a good night shot. Even with closing the camera up and using polarizers it is easy to overexpose the film. Sometimes photographers try to get the shot with quick reflexes...when you see the first strike open it up and catch the next flicker of the channel...but then often what is captured is non-branching energy from resulting from the dart leader (which is still cool). A daytime branching strike is an achievement indeed. Close to sunset, tight aperture, slow film and a polarizer helps a lot...but then the photographer has to calculate and peg the rest of the exposure too. Nice work!

Tony - Awesome job on those! I think that the fifth one down, chasers silhouetted by lightning, would make a great Stormtrack banner shot sometime!

Jeff - Super work in Sydney! It looks like the conditions at the time were high-based, pulse-type convective summer thunderstorms? An arid environment? Sometimes lightning is well set by those conditions. Beautiful colors!

Court - Welcome to the "high voltage addicts club"! If you find the challenge of lightning photography tantalizing, I have a feeling you'll be chasing CGs for awhile! I have been at it for some years now and more passionate about it than ever. I think that's what happens to chasers in general 8) Have fun, stay safe, and we look forward to seeing your pictures!

David - Perhaps someone here (Tony?) can chime in about digitals? I shoot lightning on film only. PS...you're now in the Middle East? Are you seeing sandstorms or lightning at all? We'd love to hear more about your weather and your experiences. Stay safe!

-Susan

Perhaps a little off topic, but maybe not. I've been interested in learning how to photograph lightning for several years now. I own a Minolta STSI SLR. I understand it works best with high speed (ala 100 ISO) film but beyond that, I'm clueless. Any resources out there such as websites or books that can help? I've googled the topic but never really came up with anything that helpful. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Originally posted by Chris Foltz
Perhaps a little off topic, but maybe not. I've been interested in learning how to photograph lightning for several years now. I own a Minolta STSI SLR. I understand it works best with high speed (ala 100 ISO) film but beyond that, I'm clueless. Any resources out there such as websites or books that can help? I've googled the topic but never really came up with anything that helpful. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Chris - your equipment will do great. Take your film speed down to 50 or 64 ISO, use tripod, cable release and B setting. Those are the basic tools with which to begin but much of your luck will depend on how much you're willing to drive and how much film you're willing to burn in an attempt to catch bolts in attractive foregrounds. Try to work with the sky's remaining light just after sunset or at night. I like to carry a bright lamp that illuminates chapparal or obstructions (such as power lines) in my foreground to make sure my vantage point is a good place to set up (not to mention seeing what's around in the desert). Scout your vantage points during fair weather to make sure they will be good when the storms come.

When you shoot, your camera must stay completely still when the shutter is open. If not, the camera will record sharp lightning but a blurry foreground. In lightning photography, you are exposing over seconds. I use anywhere from 1 second to 30 seconds (longer than that can risk reciprocity law failure...weird color shifts in the film). Keeping the camera still during exposure...this is the challenge. I chase in Southwestern monsoon conditions where gusts frequently reach 40mph and even 100mph on some occasions. Sand can be blowing, rain comes in torrents and visibility can be poor. A heavy tripod, sand bags/rocks to add weight, a wind break of some sort...these are needed. As well, I'll often go for the flanking line as the weather elements it throws my way can be less of a challenge yet the cloud is still electrified. I have good luck too with secondary rainbands because Round 1 washed the air clean and the sandstorm (which makes my images more red) is over. This is why I often chase until 3-4 o'clock in the morning in the desert. In the Plains as well, the best lightning I have seen was at 4:30am in Liberal, KS.

When your camera is open and you are exposing, distractions will happen such as air traffic (which makes a trail of dots across your image), headlight pollution or other artificial distractions (another reason the wee hours are favorable). Use a black card to cover your lens when the camera is open during the distraction time. Remove the card when you wish to continue exposing. Practice on Fourth of July fireworks next month...it is the same type of photography. Cover up to save seconds or lift the black card as you anticipate interesting light objects.

Observation of the storm will be your best ally, as it will reveal the pattern of how separation of charge is balanced out and how energy drains from a cloud. (I recommend Dr. Martin Uman's book "Lightning" as well). The best thing a lightning photographer can do is educate themselves about the specific behaviors of lightning, why it comes from different parts of the cloud and when, and to allow for the hazardous element of totally unpredictable and capricious lightning. Studying lightning safety is just as important as studying lightning behavior, that's for sure. I have seen some extreme hazards in lightning photography and highly unpredictable behaviors. I never shoot during all phases of a storm or when it's on top of me, there is definitely a time to bail (I don't really recommend shooting lightning unless someone is already a stormchaser). Just something to keep in mind.

It is though, the most rewarding photographic subject for me.

Good luck!

Jeff - Super work in Sydney! It looks like the conditions at the time were high-based, pulse-type convective summer thunderstorms? An arid environment? Sometimes lightning is well set by those conditions. Beautiful colors!

Cheers Susan.

That particular storm was post frontal pulse storm in mid summer so it was in a dryer enviroment of westerly winds from an earlier weak cold front. High base pulse storms are often the best for visible lightning as you would well know and the colours were a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

The city in the photo is my home city of Penrith (pop 185,000) and it's 55km west of Sydney.

Jeff.

Tony - check that out! A branching strike with a lot of light left in the sky. You must have been fast on the draw. Nice job!

Jeff - Is Penrith naturally arid? I have seen pictures of sandstorms in Sydney :shock: How many chances for lightning photography do you get per year? I have heard there are good storms on the "tablelands". I don't know where that is. Where do you think is the best place to photograph lightning in Australia? Darwin maybe?

Best, Susan

Tony, That's a nice daytime strike!

Susan, Penrith is not a naturally arid place. We are on the east coast, 60km from the Pacific and the whole east coast ranges from 28 inches of rain anually up to 50plus inches in places! We have had dust storms in Sydney but that's only because of the large interior desert in Australia and the very strong cold fronts we get from time to time from the south west that whip up the tons of dust and propel them for hundreds of kilometers.

Penrith has an annual average rainfall of 850mm or 34 inches. To our west is the tablelands of the great dividing range that seperates the east coast strip from the dryer interior and up on the tabelands the rainfall gets up to around 1400mm or 56 inches.

As for the best places to photograph lightning. Darwin has a long tropical storm season from October to April but they get heavy rain which obscures a lot of the lightning and makes it hard to stay dry.

In New South Wales and Southern Queensland we get dryer storms and they are often high based which is good for lightning photography. We also get HP storms, MCS's and supercells with high cape and good upper winds from time to time but the dryer stuff is more common. The tablelands are a good focal point for summer storms as thier elevations helps to trigger convection. I get to photograph lightning and storms about 25 days per year but some of that is chasing around my state and not just in Penrith.

Regards Jeff.

Here's two daytime strikes I got a few years back that's hitting the ranges to the west of Penrith. Sorry about the poor scanning quality.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tempestlight.com/reports...empestlight Print Gallery/001218/00121818.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tempestlight.com/reports...empestlight Print Gallery/001218/00121812.jpg

And one from a stormchase last year 500 kilometers west near Warren.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tempestlight.com/reports...empestlight Print Gallery/041204/04120408.jpg

Regards Jeff.

Jeff - Cool pictures! Very interesting to read about storm characteristics in your neck of the woods. Congrats on pulling such nice lightning out of a non-arid landscape! I know sometimes rain obscures things (as I hear from Floridian friends). I'm going to Google for a picture of the tablelands. I'm curious if they're like the mesas of Arizona.

Kurt - Nice work in Texas...lightning and structure!

Back