High Voltage Megawatt Gallery

Joey - LOL! Wouldn't it be nice to make lightning on command 8)

Kurt - those images rock. Michigan in late summer? Or the Plains?

Bill - not an artifact. I would guess that the lightning hit something chemical, similar to transformers turning green when they get hit and explode. I have been near one of those when it blew :shock: When I'm shooting storms from mountain overlooks and looking down on city lights, I have seen the red color too, just like your picture. Does anyone know what that is?

Gotcha - you did :) That one from Grand Rapids though looks like something from some huge MCS in the Plains! Awesome. You get some good ones up there late summer I understand. PS - have you ever tried for a lightning/lighthouse combo? Possible?

If im around Susan I might try that light house thing. Dont know where ill be this summer after the plains. It would be cool though, but i dont go to the lake all to often becasue when ever i do go the storms die, when i dont I catch them here. Go figure :lol:

Charles that high way looks like a river of fire pretty cool

I have never shot digital. Is it really \"there\" yet for this type of night work? Perhaps someone can comment.

For web based work ..yes ! For professional I still think it is borderline unless you have one of those 14mp ' sell you house for ' type digitals.

I must confess I use digital nowadays, I have used film in fact the shot below is film with my old Nikon FA.

I often chase with a partner who thinks that digital is the tool of the devil, but it is all good natured fun.

561f8daa6325fe904f16ec98c7e06321.jpg

Great pictures, I really like the lightning and stars one!

Sort of off topic but since you use film what scanner do you use to scan the pictures in Susan?

Susan, wonderful examples. You are so fortunate to have this on your doorstep. Lightning photography is such a challenge and one of my favourite, even though I get very little opportunity to capture it outside my chase trips to the US.

Here's a few from previous trips & roll on May when I'm back over to stock up the pixel suitcase :D

[Broken External Image]:http://www.mhweather.co.uk/mhwphp/images/Lightning/photos/supercell background (Medium).jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.mhweather.co.uk/mhwphp/images/Lightning/photos/mamma sferics.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.mhweather.co.uk/mhwphp/images/Lightning/photos/Bolt_2.jpg

Mark

Impressive couple of lightning pictures :shock: Marvellous spectacle! The last ones are incredible.

Originally posted by Michael James
Good to see you're still around Susan. Wonderful photographs.

LOL Yes, still shooting lightning. What's funny is that this is year 8 for me in shooting storms and I'm still as passionate about chasing as ever. I have pretty much accepted that I'll be chasing for the rest of my life. I have a feeling I'm absolutely not alone in that respect :) It doesn't wane, does it!

Originally posted by mark humpage
You are so fortunate to have this on your doorstep.

I only wish it was for longer. I have to be honest about chasing in Arizona - chances are sporadic and only last primarily from July-Sept. Even then, there may be several days between monsoon storms. There are a few chances in winter but winter storms are fast moving and will have you 3 hours from home in no time.

The key for me is when one does happen, I'll chase it until it dies, all night if necessary and drive to wherever. During that time I burn a lot of film and drive many miles. That's the key to chasing monsoon.

Plains has more opportunities but fewer foregrounds. That is the challenge there, so I can respect chasers who live in the Plains and make nice compositions with their lightning. When I'm in the Plains, it is a different challenge altogether, plus you have to remember funnels might be happening in the dark. For lightning, I prefer the Desert Southwest. For structure, the Plains of course :)

Wonderful shots Mark!

Originally posted by jaybarnsmith
Sort of off topic but since you use film what scanner do you use to scan the pictures in Susan?

The only criteria I have with scanning or any other lab work is that the scan look exactly like the original transparency. The image has to be unchanged when digitizing or making prints. That is only a personal rule of mine though because I feel strongly that because the image is photojournalism that it must be real and unchanged. If that happens on a desktop scanner, great, but at times I have had my prolab do a drum scan if there was no way to achieve a match with a desktop scanner. So scanning equipment varies - as long as the image stays the same through all lab processes - that is what is important to me.

Scanning, like printing, should not add or take away.

Back