Handling Night-time tornadoes

One thing I haven't seen addressed yet is the part of the country where you're chasing. The photos on this thread were all taken in the Plains, where you don't have large stretches of forest to screw up visibility even more than what it already is.

I don't have the experience of guys like Mike, Lanny, or Jason B., but I've done my share of night time chasing, largely by necessity rather than choice. Seen a couple after-dark tornadoes, one of which Bill Oosterbaan and I almost drove into in Springfield, Illinois. Anyway, Jason H., your living in Florida where there are lots of trees (much like up here in Michigan) adds to the danger, in my opinion. In the southeast, you're almost certainly dealing with HP storms to begin with; it's dark and you can't see squat; even the most consistent, timely radar updates are 4 1/2 minutes old; and on top of it all, you're driving through the piney woods, where even in broad daylight you might not see anything until it's right on top of you.

Just food for thought. I'll still chase at night, but I'd just as soon keep a good distance between me and the business end of the storm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to agree with those that say that night chasing is best done at home with a computer, an internet connection, and one's favorite weather software. Maybe with a cuppa Joe - too.

I went on a local chase at night in my corner of Iowa. Big mistake. If you happen to find yourself in the wrong spot when pouring rain is on top of you, it is too easy to become a victim of a road accident under these conditions. Or even a victiim of a tornado if it is rain-wrapped. There is literally nothing to see; as lighting occurring can only give one a brief snapshot of the visual particulars. I found that to be very disorienting. No real way to judge the storm circumstances; you can miss a lot of important visual info w/o being able to watch the beast. Situation awareness is severely compromised - especially if data info has been castrated by the electrical interference. If it sounds like my experience was a bad one; you would be right. Seldom does one have the chance to be chasing a night storm that is dry; or have enough continual lightning to be able to confirm visual storm attributes. Your mileage may vary...

Personally, I can't bring myself to intentionally chase at night. But, I think we can agree that the public benefits from those that do it. Even with the advances of dual-pol CC debris signatures starting next fall, visual confirmation from seasoned veterans is critical. It will be interesting to see how technology changes night chasing in the future, but that's for another thread. Although I can't do it, I appreciate those that do as long as they're staying safe.

I have yet to chase at night, and it will most likely be many years until I do, but this past year in March? in my local area I was coming home from the store, and could see a funnel maybe torado, (im still not sure if it was on theground or not) in the distance. So i stopped and listened to the scanner, and about 15 mins later reports came in of damage, East of where I thought I saw it, so i went to see if I could help. But I will Never, Never forget the look of the storm, or the look of shock on the faces of those affected. I would rather be safe and stop at dusk, then risk having to see all that again.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I haven't seen addressed yet is the part of the country where you're chasing. The photos on this thread were all taken in the Plains, where you don't have large stretches of forest to screw up visibility even more than what it already is.
I've done it in the plains (see photo) and a ton here in Maryland and when I lived in south Florida. South Florida was easy because there is so much light pollution for up to 70 miles in the glades you can see storm structure fairly well. It gets a little dicier in other areas and real deep in the glades...but there isn't any roads to chase there either (just sit and watch). Maryland does pose a significantly higher risk of night chasing both from the storm standpoint but also the other dangers mentioned (particularly deer...I'm 2 out 100 right now...LOL).

I use to have exceptional night vision and could see funnels many times without the lightning. Jeff G. was the same way and I remember a few times either of us spotting funnels (or a tornado or two). I always was questionable at first glance, but the lightning was always there to confirm it. As I age, I realize my eye sight isn't the same...and will react appropriately, but even still, I find night chasing extremely fun and I personally don't find too much difficulty in it. I guess I really just try to use all my senses to work into a night chase, technology sometimes might be too much of a distraction (and laptop light may not allow the eyes to adjust the low light conditions outside).

Yea Jason, nighttime chasing for me is mostly visual. I don't rely on the radar that much. I kind of use all my senses too. A gut feeling come into play a lot too. If I'm uneasy about a situation, I bail out quick!

Chasing at night is especially more difficult when you chase alone. You can't keep looking and waiting for a illuminating lightning flash to see if anything is out there while you are drive. You have to stop and park to take a good look.

If your driving in an area that has suffered damage you have to keep a sharp eye out for debris in the roadway. Tree limbs, power lines and poles are especially hard to see. Flooding is also something to lookout for.

Back