Guess the Tornado!!

Originally posted by Douglas Mitchell+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Douglas Mitchell)</div>
Elbow Lake, MN sometime in the 60's!

Just a guess.[/b]
Yeah, you got the second one — it's specifically September 5, 1969.

But as for the first —
Originally posted by Susan Strom+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susan Strom)</div>
What a shot. Wichita Falls maybe?[/b]
No . . .
<!--QuoteBegin-Gabe Garfield
@
I've seen it before somewhere...I just can't recall where off the top of my head. My first thought was that it was a North Dakota tornado (maybe Fargo?).
. . . no . . .
<!--QuoteBegin-Damon Scott Hynes

Perrin AFB TX 1957.
. . . and no.

But it was in the '50s.

Sorry, neither of those either.

OK, another hint: it's a place north of Dallas, south of Fargo, and not E of Kansas City nor W of Denver.

I guess that helps a little :)

I have seen that image a few times but it is never mentioned where it is from. The title is simply "massive tornado". It will be interesting to find out.

Mel

Since no one has posted here for a while I'm going to cheat. I'm posting a new tornado image despite not guessing the last one correctly :p

While looking through old tornado photographs I came across this one. I was quite impressed by the structure and clear slot. Maybe this one is easy. But I want to share the image anyway for those who haven't seen it.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.twistersisters.com/images/Old_Tornado_Image.jpg

Mel

Hey, you didn't wait to find out if you were right :) Well, the tornado actually occured in 1890. An artist used the photograph to create a painting of the scene in 1893, but the actual tornado was 1890. Just an interesting fact. The photo was taken from St. Paul, MN but the event is specifically known as the "Lake Gervais" tornado.

Anyway, thanks Justin...I expected someone from the upper midwest to guess it.

Mel

Yea, I've seen the painting of that photograph in the Minneapolis Museum of Art...my favorite! :)

No-one got the last one of mine, so, mystery of mysteries revealed: it was Scottsbluff, NE, June 27, 1955. Either tornado #9 or #11 — but probably #11 — of a 13-member family. (Their paths were fairly close together — so close, in fact, that on official records the two are linked as one single tornado. Only two others in the family are on record, too, and only #11 was confirmably significant [an F4] . . . though tornadoes #6 and #9 may have been.) The entire event was, at the time, the best photographed, with numerous stills and movie film taken. In the 1956 U.S. Weather Bureau film Tornado!, a good amount of that film is used — of tornadoes #9 and #11.

And Justin, is yours Omaha, NE, March 23, 1913?

What a beauty! Love those side vortices. I've seen this photo before, but I can't identify the storm offhand. Out of curiosity, though, is that a second rain-wrapped funnel in the background, off to the left?

I see what you mean, although I think that, going by its position, it could be a descending microburst.

Back