Guess the Tornado!!

It isn't the May 27, 1997 Cedar Park, TX, tornado, is it?

Also, the one earlier that Rob Dewey posted isn't actually the Flint, MI tornado but the Erie, MI tornado . . . same day, little earlier — the one on the map that touched down at 1815. I think there weren't any (known to date) pictures of the Flint tornado because it was at twilight, or just after.

Hey, I'm delighted to see this thread resurface!

A couple comments:
* Tom Loades correctly pointed out that the last photo was of a tornado in Erie/Temperance, MI, on the same day as the Flint/Beecher tornado. Tom, you also mention that no photos were ever taken of the Beecher F5. But in my rummagings through Internet resources on the event, I did come across two color photos of the parent supercell.
* That twin funnel photo shown earlier is the unofficial icon of the 1965 Palm Sunday Outbreak. That shot is one of a series of five spectacular photos captured by Elkhart Truth photographer Paul Huffman as the tornado swept across the fields and into the Midway Trailer Park two miles south of Dunlap, a small town located just south of Elkhart. To me, that classic photo remains one of the most dramatic tornado photos ever taken. The damage was rated at F4, which probably matters little where trailer parks are concerned. Forty-five minutes after the twin-funnel shot was taken, as recue operations were underway, a second, still more powerful tornado swept in from the west and did F5 damage in Dunlap. Last year, I made a couple visits to the area, with the intention of locating the site of the Midway Trailer Park. The park is long gone and part of the area was being bulldozed in preparation for an overpass over US 33. The house in the foreground is no more, and US 33 is now lined with businesses. But I did find what had to have been the northern end of the park. Old electrical hookups for the trailers poked up from the ground here and there among the trees. It was a place filled with ghosts--as was the little memorial park on a quiet street corner in the Sunnyside area of Dunlap. But I ramble. If you, like me, are fascinated by the Palm Sunday Outbreak, you owe it to yourself to visit your library and get hold of The Mighty Whirlwind by David Wagler. The book was published in the same year as the outbreak, which gives you some idea of the immediacy of the reportage. It is a stellar work, at once personal and professional, and particularly fascinating in its description of multivortex structure and satellite tornadoes in a day when such phenomena weren't recognized.

The Worcester Tornado

Someone on this thread mentioned the Worcester tornado. For a long time, I thought there was just one photograph of it, but I recently found a NOAA site that shows a couple more, plus gives a fascinating synopsis of how the event shaped up. It tracks the weather pattern from Iowa, gives a brief account of the Flint/Beecher tornado and associated tornadoes, and goes into reasonable depth on the Worcester event.

I'd love to post a photo from the report to stump y'all, but I'm not computer-savvy enough to lift it from the report itself in a way that wouldn't give it away. So instead, I'll just provide the link to the report for those of you who are interested: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/papers/Worcest...rTornado53.html

Enjoy!

Bob, I didn't know an F5 occurred on Palm Sunday '65. As far as I am aware, there were around 20 violent tornadoes, but none were F5s (personally, I'm certain at least one of those tornadoes was a 5). Out of curiosity, who lists that event as an F5?

Thanks,
Gabe

There were at least two F5 tornadoes in the 1965 event, Gabe. The Dunlap/Sunnyside tornado was one of them. I believe another was the one that narrowly missed downtown Goshen and went on to rototill the Shore community south of Shipshewana. I think those were the only ones. But I'm speaking off the top of my head, here. I'm certain of the Dunlap rating, not so confident about the Shore location. Damage to northern Indiana was severe, but two other bands of storms also swept through Indiana further to the south, and damage to such communities as Russiaville and Alto was extensive.

Check with Grazulis--he'll confirm F5s in the Palm Sunday Outbreak.

Back