Guess the Tornado!!

Let's try either Grand Island 1980 or omaha 1975 since your from NE and those are two NE tornados that stick out in my mind.

Thomas, let's try Wichita county may 1968

JB
That is the 75 Omaha tornado. That particular photo was taken from the old Aksarben horse racing track. My insurance agents dad was, in her words chased by that tornado and has photos of it to prove it. These photos have not been released to the public and she is getting them for me. As soon as I have them I will post them here at Stormtrack.

Jeremy and Bryan got it....Omaha, May 6, 1975. To get everyone's bearings, the picture is looking west towards 72nd St., as the tornado approaches Pacific St., and Bergan Mercy Hospital. Still one of the costliest and most devastating tornadoes in history to hit a major city.

My mom & dad had a magazine/booklet about that day, with a haunting picture of the tornado on the front. Ever since I was about 6, I've been picking that thing up every season to thumb through it (yes, I lifted it from their magazine rack!). Definitely one of the biggest infulences that brought me closer to severe weather as a child.

1957 - Lincoln, Nebraska. I believe that tornado moved up from west O towards Superior Street. What was mostly a rural tornado then would be a major catastrophe now with all of the development in that area.

Omaha has really gotten smeared a couple times by major tornadoes. I had no idea. But a search on the earlier disaster brought up images of the 1975 storm as well, including JB's image. Pretty darn dramatic! Bryan, I'd love to see your dad's photos. He took them while something like that was chasing him? Myipe! :shock:

Funny how some of us can point to a particular significant tornado event that has etched itself into our memories and influenced our passion for severe weather.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have photos from the 1985 Ohio/Pennsylvania/New York outbreak? I've seen one photo online, purportedly of the lone F5 in that event, but it looks like it's starting to rope out.

Thomas, let's try Wichita county may 1968

No, not there . . . ah, what the hell. It's Pratt, KS, May 25, 1965. Another picture of this tornado (also by David Hoadley) graces David Ludlum's National Audubon Society Field Guid to North American Weather.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have photos from the 1985 Ohio/Pennsylvania/New York outbreak? I've seen one photo online, purportedly of the lone F5 in that event, but it looks like it's starting to rope out.
Wow, where'd you find that? The only other photograhpic material I know of from that outbreak is the video by Ron Alfredo at Hermitage, PA (the same F5, I think), and a photo of one in OH that was in a World Book Encyclopedia yearbook. And where — I think you mentioned it — did you find the photo of the 1953 Flint, MI supercell?

Back