Guess the Tornado!!

April 21, 1974 Wisconsin tornadoes

Yay :)

When seeing Andy's photograph, Don Lloyd's recount of the Lomira-Brownsville events of april 21, 1974 sprang to mind. http://wx-fx.com/lomira.htm A captivating read. Since this is the only known photograph of the tornado it stuck to my mind.

Jeremy, the Oskosh WI tornado, if that's the one you're talking about, occured on the same day as the above events. Don Lloyd also have a page about that one: http://wx-fx.com/oshgosh.htm If you own TVCI look up segment (26); it's show's footage of this tornado at about the same time the first photo on Don's page was taken.

I might post more information on these sometime later.

Agh. Should've used a tornado that had more photographs of it. I figured that since Don Lloyd's past Wisconsin tornadoes page is the only place on the Internet where it can be found it would be relatively obscure.

Just for future reference on this thread. Thomas' tornado threw me off because he said that it was a violent tornado. Usually violent tornadoes are classified F4 or F5 and not F3. I am just pointing this out because I thought that it had to be an F4 or F5 and did not even consider guessing an F3. I guess you could say I am being picky about key words but I found it to be a little misleading. I had to spill my guts because I was determined to find that tornado and I was looking the wrong place the whole time.

Originally posted by Darin Brunin
Just for future reference on this thread. Thomas' tornado threw me off because he said that it was a violent tornado. Usually violent tornadoes are classified F4 or F5 and not F3. I am just pointing this out because I thought that it had to be an F4 or F5 and did not even consider guessing an F3.

I thought the exact same thing... :p

Originally posted by Darin Brunin
Just for future reference on this thread. Thomas' tornado threw me off because he said that it was a violent tornado. Usually violent tornadoes are classified F4 or F5 and not F3. I am just pointing this out because I thought that it had to be an F4 or F5 and did not even consider guessing an F3. I guess you could say I am being picky about key words but I found it to be a little misleading. I had to spill my guts because I was determined to find that tornado and I was looking the wrong place the whole time.
When I said violent, I thought it was — the Tulsa tornado is rated F4 in Significant Tornadoes. I assume, then, that the F3 rating came from the NWS, which was at odds with the Tornado Project's research, and they upgraded it. In that case, they wouldn't say it was upgraded because the only started doing so for 1990– tornadoes. I guess conflicts like this will happen due to our varying accesiblility to varying resources; but sorry about that.

I've seen it before somewhere...I just can't recall where off the top of my head. My first thought was that it was a North Dakota tornado (maybe Fargo?).

Gabe

Back