Fun Storm Chaser Awards - Ideas???

Here are several of the categories that are going to be voted in... it's a bit, so if there are some that are meaningless or whatever, say something and I'll strike them. Remember, if this works, then I'll issue these again in later years, so don't vote one out even if the winner would be a gimme.

As for timeline, I'll decide the final categories early next week and get things set up. Voting will begin later next week and will go for a couple weeks.

Best Dressed Chase Vehicle - Awarded to the chaser and his/her vehicle whom has the most bumper stickers, the best vehicular artwork, etc.

Road Warrior Award - For the chaser who logged the most road miles (flying does not count).

Best Tornado State - Awarded to the state which yielded the best success for chasers, not just with the most tornadoes.

Worst Tornado State - Awarded to the state which was cursed more than any other.

Play of the Year - Awarded to the best "play" for the year. This can go to a single chaser or group of chasers. This is awarded for whomever made the best tactical/forecasting/lucky decision over the chase season, no matter how big of a fluke it might've been.

Day of the Year - Awarded to the single day of 2004 which yielded the greatest single chase day for chasers.

Dent of the Year - Awarded to the chaser/chasers whose vehicle suffered the worst storm-chase damage of 2004.

Fluke of the Year - Awarded to the single chase day which shouldn't have been. For example, a day when things weren't looking good at all, you went out and banked! Basically, a who'd of thunk it award!

Oops of the Year - Awarded to the biggest whoopsie moment of 2004. To use myself as an example, I would've voted me driving my car into a flooded ditch during a night chase in 2003. This doesn't have to mean dangerous stuff, it could even be driving 150 miles in the wrong direction, or filling your unleaded tank with diesel.

Dud of the Year - Awarded to the day that was hyped up the most and yielded very little. For example (an extreme case), a SPC High Risk Day which yielded 1 landspout in some place no where close to the risk area.

Largest Chase Convergence - Awarded to the biggest convergence of the year. The award is given to the convergence in which most people say they were part of (or have photographs, videos, etc).

Hailstone of the Year - For the largest photographed hailstone to fall in 2004.

Tornado of the Year - The best tornado of the year as voted by chasers. This can be voted by people even if they weren't on that particular tornado.

Storm of the Year - Best storm of the year. This is not only for tornatic storms, but for photogenic value, fun, whatever.

Best of the Bust - Awarded to the chaser who came up with the most creative thing to do while busting.

Buster of the Year - To the chaser who had the worst bust. For example, drove 2000 miles and saw nothing on a day where 100 tornadoes were reported.

Originally posted by David Drummond

Not any hanging on my wall... :cry: :wink:

Gonna be one of my fav pieces of video for sure!

Ummm dude :roll: , I told you to tell me which ones you liked and I would be more than happy to get you a couple prints made. Hell, you installed my gear its the least I can do.

Graham Butler
graham.butler at ttu.edu

Originally posted by Chris Sokol
How about Biggest hype turned dud? This would have to go to the Tornado Attack crew.

My vote goes to Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne.

More catagories, though I know some have already been loosely mentioned...

Tornado of the Year

Hailstorm of the year

Storm of the year

(don't freak out on these, they're perfectly valid)

All the following catagories are for CHASER video only

Best Video (independent release)

Best Video (clip)

Originally posted by Shane Adams+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shane Adams)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Chris Sokol
How about Biggest hype turned dud? This would have to go to the Tornado Attack crew.

My vote goes to Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne.[/b]

Charley was un-hyped (it dramatically strengthened right before landfall, and wasn't expected to be as strong as it was).

But I have to agree on the rest of the hurricanes. They never really met their advertised wind speeds at all - I think the highest I seen being reported was around 115mph gusts - Not the >140mph sustained that they were saying. Although 4 'canes in one state in one year is quite amazing...

Largest Hailstones of the Year 2004
May 24, 2004
6.00 inch Meadville in Linn County, Missouri
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/eax/events/May24-2...iew.php?image=1

May 22, 2004
5.50 inch Slater in Story Couny, Iowa

May 12, 2004
Interesting the hailstone that fell on the east side
of Harper, Kansas the 5 1/4 diamter inch was not
included the NCDC Storm Events, largest hail listed
was 2.75 inches or baseball size hail.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ict/cgi-bin/vueimg...1418&IMG_NUM=16

Best Hailstorm in terms of damages
June 21. 2004
I would say was Amarillo TX.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ama/html/Jun212004...Album/index.htm

Mike

BEST TORNADOES 2004: BASED ON F-SCALE: F4

05-12-04 HARPER COUNTY KS
05-22-04 HALLAM NE
05-29-04 DE KALB, DAVIESS, HARRISON COUNTIES MO
07-13-04 ROANOKE IL
07-18-04 HATTON ND

Off hand, I know of only 5 F-4 tornadoes that occur this year, this is not a official list, since Storm Data is only out through May so far and is one of the reasons I did not mention any F-3 tornadoes.

Mike

Several off-topic posts were removed as they had nothing to do with this thread. May I also remind a few of you that personal bashing of any sorts is not permitted on Stormtrack. This thread was started in regards to a contest; not for another grudge match. Please refrain from posting anything further outside of the thread here. Any posts not pertaining to this thread from here-on-out will be removed without notice and further action may be assessed.

Originally posted by Chris Sokol

Don't forget Mr. Nuke/Laser Tornado Warrior . . . even if the Discovery Channel know nothing of him, we'll have treasured memories.

Wait, just got an award idea — Most Inane Modification to Chasing. Only two contenders this year, I guess, but chances are it'll grow every season.

How do we nominate folks for this? Can we nominate ourseleves?

I've got one for the "Fluke of the year". I picked up 3 seperate tornadoes just south of Wellington Kansas on a day that really should have been nothing more than heavy thunderstorms. Pure luck that I decided to go north rather than back home. It was 2 F0's and 1 f2. This was all on August 27th. See http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ict/cgi-bin/vuesto...MBER=2004082900

That's my claim to fame. Everyone else has got me beat to tears for anything else.

John

Back