Earthmate vs. Microsoft - Mapping/GPS Software

http://www.globalmapper.com/

I use this on my chases now. I purchased a license and the software is so remarkable! Even though it costs $219 (which I think is cheap for this kind of software), it is worth far more than that!

It doesn't come with maps, but you can download maps anywhere you can get GIS Data, that also includes the 50 states of free road maps you can get from the Census (Tiger/Line Maps). It has GPS capability. I tried this out on a drive for the first time this morning to Lawrence using DEM, DRG, and Tiger/Line data for Johnson and Douglas Counties in Kansas. This item is so great! I used the 3-D simulator to simulate the terrain at ground level and it is just about similar as the real terrain! It's very nice to be able to know what kind of terrain an area has before making a decision to chase there, and I think this tool has the answer. Most GIS Data is free, BTW, but be prepared for the amount of space GIS Data can use on your hard drive. Only downfall is that loading maps can take a while and you have to know what county you are in to load the correct map.

Back