Earthmate vs. Microsoft - Mapping/GPS Software

Okay.. I know most of you use at least one of these two pieces of software... which would you recommend I get...

Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 with GPS Locator

Earthmate GPS Receiver with Street Atlas USA

I've heard good things on both accounts, and both are about the same price w/ the standard GPS receiver. Your suggestions?

-Tony

Last year I used Microsoft Streets and Trips for all of my chasing ventures. Last week I purchased the Earthmate and SA2005. I absolutely love SA2005, and will never go back to Streets and Trips.

I'd say get the Street Atlas 2005 + Earthmate.

I use the Microsoft Streets & Trips with the GPS locator, mainly because I cannot stand the GUI interface that is used with Delorme products. The Microsoft GPS solution although is more basic than the Delorme Earthmate, just gives basic track on the map, along with your speed and direction. The Earthmate has more fancier functions, similar to that I see on my Garmin GPSMAP 60C, but Microsoft won't tell you that you are approaching a certain road or anything, and won't give you turn by turn directions based on using the GPS data. If you want basic without the fanciness, you might be able to get the Microsoft product cheaper because it is usually on sale for 99 dollars (I bought it for 89).

Tony,

If you decide on Earthmate & SA 2005, I just ordered mine this morning from atomicpark.com. They are selling it for $108, which includes shipping. All orders placed before 3:30 ship the same day. I looked around town here and could not find the bundle with SA 2005. Everyone was still selling SA 2004, and at higher prices! I want to have it and my new jotto desk installed before I make the trip to Denver in 2 weeks. Good luck with which ever one you choose.

Here's the link

http://www.atomicpark.com/xq/aspx/prodID.2...ductDetail.html

Originally posted by Kurt Silvey
Tony,

If you decide on Earthmate & SA 2005, I just ordered mine this morning from atomicpark.com. They are selling it for $108, which includes shipping. All orders placed before 3:30 ship the same day. I looked around town here and could not find the bundle with SA 2005. Everyone was still selling SA 2004, and at higher prices! I want to have it and my new jotto desk installed before I make the trip to Denver in 2 weeks. Good luck with which ever one you choose.

Here's the link

http://www.atomicpark.com/xq/aspx/prodID.2...ductDetail.html
Kurt,

Thanks for the site.. I checked it out but it was saying that it was going to be $124 w/ shipping. Did you enter a coupon code or something to get that $108 price?

No. I had the same thing happen when I went there myself. But, if you Google “earthmate GPS 2005â€￾ and then switch it to Froogle (located just above the search bar), atomicpark should be one of the top listings. If you follow this listing it should be the $108. They must give a price break when you enter their site from froogle, and just stick it to everyone else.

Hey Tony,
Long time no talk! How's it going on the west side? :wink:
I recently purchased DeLorme's Street Atlas USA 2005. After reading a review by the Washington Post DeLorme posted on their product site, I figured DeLorme would be the better deal with what their review says about Street Atlas '05, "Which to choose? Once you're rolling, Street Atlas USA works better" (www.delorme.com/streetatlasusa/default.asp). I also went with DeLorme's software in the hopes that their program is compatible with the Holux GPS I bought from WxWorx. I've been very apprehensive about opening the package for fear that I'll install the program only to find it won't work with the Holux GPS receiver, but I just spoke with DeLorme tech support and he said the software should work with any 'NMEA-enabled' GPS receiver running v2.0 data protocol. Since the Holux receiver runs on v2.2, I'm cautiously assuming that with a little configuration, the setup will work. Keeping my fingers crossed! Has anyone tried this configuration? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Jon

I have been using Delorme since 1996. I currently have SA 2003. It works great. I have 3 GPS units. I now use the USB tripmate. I still have my old serial tripmate and the original serial earthmate. I actually found a use for the original one. I modified it to work standalone for APRS.

I have never used Microsoft, but have no reason to check them out as I am satisfied with Delorme. Now if they will only update their maps to distinguish between paved and unpaved roads, it will be perfect!

Not to intentionally resurect an old thread, but thought some might find this beneficial...

Costco.com is selling Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 for only $4.99 ($34.99 - $10 instant rebate - $20 mail-in rebate). I still find it best to run MS along with DeLorme Street Atlas together, since they both have their positives and negatives. But hey, for $5, it'd be worth a shot if I didn't already have MS S&T 2004...

Not to intentionally resurect an old thread, but thought some might find this beneficial...

Costco.com is selling Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 for only $4.99 ($34.99 - $10 instant rebate - $20 mail-in rebate). I still find it best to run MS along with DeLorme Street Atlas together, since they both have their positives and negatives. But hey, for $5, it'd be worth a shot if I didn't already have MS S&T 2004...

You should buy them out and resell them on Ebay Jeff. Looks like they are going for at least twice that. Double your money!

We use street atlas usa 2004 and earthmate gps. Have both a old serial earthmate and the new usb earthmate. I love it. Some of the other units haver the micosoft stuff but I would not trade. :wink:

Mapping programs

I've used several versions of Microsoft S&T (up to 2004); great for trip planning, vacations etc. but the GPS features are a bit sparse for chasing purposes IMO, although the tracking features are adequate. Poor detail in some cases for secondary and back roads. Construction update info is fairly good for major routes, but often will miss other areas that chasers tend to run into.

I would like to try the Delorme software product, although I'm not a fan of their GPS units (prefer Garmin). Will likely be getting a copy of 2005 as soon as it's widely available.

I also recently picked up a copy of OZIexplorer; it uses raster images instead of vector generated maps. No maps are included, you need to obtain these elsewhere. May not be suitable for everyone as there's a lot of fiddling required in regards to the maps, however you do have a high degree of control over what maps you are using. Also some neat features such as map overlays, markers etc. Not sure how it will work out for chasing but I plan on testing it this season alongside some other programs.

Back