• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Does spotter training need improving?

Rdale

I agree completly and right now that is the plan. If a member wants to work in the trailer he/she needs additional training.

I also agree.
Radar classes also tend to put many folks to sleep
in no time flat.

But those that want to learn more will take the time to
attend extra classes.

Most of us see a system coming our way, on the radar, long
before we can see it with our own eyes. Thus being able to
see what is heading your direction, to know what your looking at
and is helpful in placing yourself in the best safe viewing position.

This also shows the importance of well organized and active spotter groups to help continue the training.

Tim

I'd say the terms "radar interpretation" are being interpreted differently here:)

I think the basics of reading radar would be very valuable, but I wouldn't think of it as we evaluate radar in many cases as chasers. Think of identifying a squall line, an actual hook echo, a maturing/dying storm...the basics. Save the rest for an "advanced Skywarn" session.

That sounds great on paper, but many spotters struggle with the simplicity of visual observation/identification (despite "training") in the field. Seems unrealistic IMO to expect they could grasp the complexities of radar interpretation.
You may be surprised at how many spotters are beginning to understand radar from the standpoint of storm observation. It isn't a stretch to think that many, if not the majority, of spotters these days have access to radar images via wireless devices. Don't sell them all so short - visual interpretation of storms can also be complex, but I will posit that by integrating the visual data with the radar data, it might remove a layer of complexity in the understanding of the storms.

But I agree, it's a new concept that is probably best handled in an advanced spotting course at the beginning.

Greg,
I agree with what you pointing out here. That's one of the big reasons I asked for a radar class distinctly seprate from spotter training. Here in OHX land the basic and advanced classes are given together in one class of 2 hour length. With that critera I would never think of trying to cram radar into that. I'm going to have to do enough suplemental training for the spotters as it is. If they wish to advance then the radar class will be there for them.

To the original post, I don't necessarily think that the training needs to be improved, but I do think that both the NWS and local spotter groups need to move away from the notion that if you had enough sense to show up for a class, then you have enough sense to be a spotter. I think the bad reports that lead to a thread like this are due to the 'everyone welcome' idea that is spotter training now. I don't think quality will improve until there is at least some base knowledge or 'common sense' test applied.

Back