• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Does spotter training need improving?

I’m wondering if anyone besides me believes that the standards for “basic storm spotter training” should be raised a bit. I don’t want to bruise anyone’s feelings posting that, but here is my thought –

In the past 2 years there have been 2 storm spotters killed in the “line of duty”. At least that I know of, the Macksville, KS PD officer and a volunteer fire fighter in Seneca, MO. Both deaths were the result of a direct tornado impact – not hydroplaning, car accident, etc… But, this is 2 to many storm spotter deaths – it’s now a “statistic” of 1 spotter death per year for the previous two years.

A lot of people here, including me, personally know at least one WCM and we all know how hard they work– again, I don’t want to bruise any feelings…I think they do an amazing job for what they have to work with and I applaud them all!

But, I’m wondering if the general consensus is starting to be that curriculum for basic/general storm spotter training should be raised a bit (or left alone, but taught with better tools), and if or not it should be a mandatory training item for any “agent” of a city, or county municipality (not talking about file clerks, but LEO or fire fighters whether paid or volunteer – anyone who may be asked to perform storm spotting duties on the job)?

I’ve got 17 “spotter certification certificates” in my desk drawer just because I opt to sit through a short-course in my county every February – I attend to assist if asked (even if I’m just asked to help pack up), but since I sign-in, I receive a certificate.

A few years ago I purchased a winter home in Florida and when digging through the Ruskin, FL WFO’s website one day I found this: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tbw/TampaBaySkywarnOnlineQuiz.htm, I answered the 25 questions and had a new certificate in my mailbox a few days later (and this one has a little perforated area at the bottom for a card that can be laminated…so it looks all official and stuff!). Hence the sarcasm, the “prerequisite” of being a “certified” spotter in some CWAs is pretty lax, in my opinion.

I’m not sure what, if anything could be done to expand the quality of the training received at these courses. But, for the most part they are a series of watching videos focusing on the rear flank and covering additional topics such as flash flooding (the El Paso “Call 911, Call 911” video anyone?).

Most industries today, and the military use far advanced training tools than videos, photos and diagrams. Soldiers are being trained using 3D “virtual reality” tools (combat simulators) and a lot of industries are using similar tools to educate their workforce – including law enforcement. Fire fighters can now fight an incredible fire in the back of a truck trailer that can simulate any number of real conditions that they will face during their jobs.

This all being said – it could be the case that both the Macksville PD officer and the Seneca fire fighter could have been very well versed on the subject and it was just the other variables that got them (i.e.: Seneca, MO is hilly, has a lot of trees – making storm spotting difficult and Greensburg supercell was just crazy and insane all around).

But I’m betting that if either of them had more direct knowledge of what they were up against, or access to some visual tools – or at the very least direct communication with a trained nowcaster (such as a dispatcher, or 911 center with GR Level II and proper training in “spotter coordination”) that it might have bettered their chances of survival.

Additionally – the spotter training that I’ve sat through focused primarily on teaching the individual the basics of storm structure and various risk and hazards. But perhaps just something as simple as training a few within their respective departments, or EOCs how to keep their spotters safe could add some value to any storm spotting program. Much like how OK-FIRST has trained EOCs for the past several years in Oklahoma.

Anyone else have similar thoughts? Or am I alone in thinking this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you 100%, but the implementation is where I get lost. Many of the spotter training presentations I've been to seem little more than meet-your-buddies-and-shoot-the-bull-during-breaks sessions. Not only that, but I've talked to people who've been to these yearly presentations for many years and still have little to no idea what they're looking at in the field.

I myself was a spotter for four years and didn't know jack until I became a chaser. So yeah, I agree with you. The yearly spotter presentations may provide people with just enough information to get them hurt in the field.

But how does one provide effective, real-world knowledge without providing real-world experience? That's the problem here, since a storm cannot be brought in to provide hands-on knowledge during a training session. An interactive computer program is a good suggestion, but the cost of implementation could limit its widespread use.

At the least, I would like to see the NWS go way more interactive with the presentations. Real-time scenarios with feedback would greatly improve the amount of knowledge imparted, IMO, and would be a great first step in the right direction.

When my father was younger, he was an ESDA spotter for the county. They were put through about 20 hours of classroom training, took exams, and then had to spend a certain amount of time riding along with another spotter who already had been certified.

The current method of a yearly 2 hour session doesn't even come close, and is the reason that I no longer use a police scanner while chasing to listen to the garbage that comes from 90% of the spotter networks out there.

The majority of Spotters in our area (North Central Oklahoma) are generally retired or just about to retire folks. Most have no interest in getting more advanced training. Each city and county agency has their own requirements and method which includes NWS Spotter class at least every 2 years.

I would think that the more advanced training would be best utilized, would be with the EM Managers. The folks that are supposed to direct and manage where the Spotters are. Blackwell, Oklahoma does a very good job of this.

PD's, FD's and SD's are not required to be Spotters. They are not required to have the training. It's an oversight that I don't agree with, but then, that's why we have EM departments and Storm Spotters, right?

OK First puts out an excellent program. It's geared towards the EM Managers and for what it does, it does very well. However, it really falls to the "Management" side of the coin. The EM Director really must be in control and Manage the people he has out spotting for him. Hence the assigned sectors. Again, we fall to the Most Spotters are retired thing again. In the case up here, Most EM Managers are retired from one agency or another and take the EM position to pad the retirement. That's not all of them though. But a very big chunk of them are in this category.

I agree that more interactive and one on one training would be useful. Having to take a test or quiz afteward would be beneficial. The NWS Spotter Training classes presented each year ARE getting better and better. I've certainly noticed a difference over the years. Some of the trainers are better than others, each one has their own style.

However, in the end you can only put so much into a 2 hour course and still keep one's student's attention. Also, these guys are volunteers. It's their time and gas. Alienate them and you lose your eyes and ears.

JD

I went to the one in McLennan Co.(Waco,TX) this year and it was a fairly low turnout due to previous years. The thinking is since there is rarely severe weather in the area, the less need for spotters, which I totally disagree with. There were a few new people this year, and the advanced spotter training for the "new" people seemed to catch people off guard. I overheard a guy talking to someone on his cellphone saying " this is hard stuff." A lot of people think it's just looking at a cloud and looking for a tornado. As has been said on here before, if you don't understand storm structure you can get yourself into serious trouble. I was listening to a local weather net the night of the 2/10/2009 event when the squall line came through, and heard a guy talking about a tornado cloud. I also heard a guy on the same frequency giving reports of golf ball size hail in his area. The next day the same guy was speaking as if he wasn't sure if it was golf ball size or not. He said it had to be as hard as it was hitting his windshield. Scary stuff when you have spotters who aren't sure what they are seeing.

I'm going to the one in Hendricks Co, IN on Saturday afternoon. My dad took me to the previous 3, but I'll be going on my own this year. I'll easily be the youngest (16) one there. I agree that the training needs to be changed someway, somehow. While Central Indiana's spotter system is known as one of the better ones in the country, there are still things that 'grind my gears' sometime. (Eg, many reports of heavy rain, and wind....okay...we're aware of that...)

I guess it has been a long off season for me to get into a lot of details, I'll have to add to this after Saturday.

I'm going to a Skywarn class on March 17th. I've never been to one so I'll let you know if there are any differences here in upstate NY as opposed to the training in the more central states. I was told that the classes generally last 1 1/2 to 2 hours though so I assume it's the same or a very similar curriculum. My only curiosity will be if they focus more on extreme winter weather and thunderstorms since tornadoes here are pretty rare.

I'm going to stir the pot here and suggest that it isn't just some spotters but quite a few chasers that need additional training as to what they are seeing before they start making reports. Not to derail the thread, but reports are reports regardless of the title the person gives themselves. Chasers often wear the spotter hat.

In recent years (particularly last year) I watched quite a bit of reports pop up on spotter network from chasers just a very short distance down the road from me, looking at the same thing I am.

I saw non-rotating scud reported as funnels. I saw some of that scud that on the leading edge of some outflow that also had the outflow dust foot under it, reported (multiple times by the same person) as a landspout (there was ZERO rotation). This person should know better, as they were driving for one of the popular tour groups out there.

I saw a large gustnado reported as a large tornado by yet the leader of a separate tour group.

And these were all on the same day even!!!

I see this every time I am out. I can't help but wonder how many more of these false reports are being called in. Seriously...tornadic circulation is not that hard to identify once you see it and not every piece of cloud that rotates a little is a tornado either.

I've seen quite a few chasers posting stuff on their websites calling something a wall cloud, or a funnel cloud or a tornado when it's very clear, even from the still image they posted, that it was not any of those things.

Sorry for a little rant, but this is really starting to become a pet peeve for me over the years. I've always believed anything worth doing is worth doing right, even if that means getting a little education first.

We were all green at some point. There is nothing wrong with being new and green. But if you are not 100% sure of exactly what you are reporting, then don't report it as that. We "chasers" often seem to like to hold ourselves to a higher level than "spotters" (whether justified or not), but these sorts of reports are not any better than the "it's getting dark and raining here" reports you hear from spotters sometimes.

Then again, I really don't know what to say if you are one of those that actually think a non-rotating hangy down scud thing with some linear moving dust under it really IS a landspout. :eek:

David, you hit the nail on the head. Spotters and chasers can use some better training.

I agree that some spotters are currently hamstrung by the lack of a net control without radar. Proper training for new and inexperienced spotter/chasers is very important. After a few years, I think there is no better training than actually getting out and watching the storms. When you think about law enforcement and fire department spotters, they usually only cover a single county (the one they work in) and therefore are limited in the number of storms they can observe (unless they also chase during off shifts). True chasers have an advantage in that they are not bound by any commitments to any local or national governing body and can chase whatever storm strikes their fancy, in whatever county or state.

Having been a spotter for 15 years now I don't think I get much out of either the beginner's 2-hour class nor the "advanced" 2-hour class. I've got the theory and mechanisms of thunderstorm development and progression pretty well down. However, as a spotter for the NWS I'm still required to attend training every two years, and I will continue to do this faithfully. Even with the experience I have I still try to learn something from each storm I chase. The storms usually don't disappoint.

Alan

I saw non-rotating scud reported as funnels. I saw some of that scud that on the leading edge of some outflow that also had the outflow dust foot under it, reported (multiple times by the same person) as a landspout (there was ZERO rotation). This person should know better, as they were driving for one of the popular tour groups out there.

I saw a large gustnado reported as a large tornado by yet the leader of a separate tour group.

And these were all on the same day even!!!

I see this every time I am out. I can't help but wonder how many more of these false reports are being called in. Seriously... tornadic circulation is not that hard to identify once you see it and not every piece of cloud that rotates a little is a tornado either.

I've seen quite a few chasers posting stuff on their websites calling something a wall cloud, or a funnel cloud or a tornado when it's very clear, even from the still image they posted, that it was not any of those things.

Sorry for a little rant, but this is really starting to become a pet peeve for me over the years. I've always believed anything worth doing is worth doing right, even if that means getting a little education first.

It doesn't help when the people seeking to be informed are finding the same thing you are talking about as their lessons. I myself have seen numerous reports and videos here on ST claiming a tornado, wall cloud, funnel cloud etc and I just don't see it in the videos. Sometimes it is obviously not what they think they saw but sometimes it is not so clear. I start thinking I am ignoring things I should be reporting when I see enough "professionals" reporting something I surely don't see. I guess I will stick with what works best, If it's 100% positive I will call it in, if I am not 100% I will ask later from a picture.... Even then it's not a sure thing because on the few occasions I have asked about a feature or something I can get even more answers than I thought possible.

The Basic spotter classes are just that, basic. They make it clear at ours
that attending this one class does not make you a spotter, but
attending it every year and seeking out further knowledge
is the key.

Many of our members in the past and it looks like some more will attend
this year, a 10 class, 3 hour per class Advanced Spotter Class.
This is supplied no charge to us from M.A.S.T..

While this may be a little overkill and think he could cut it down some,
it is a very good class. One that brings the level of knowledge and performance of the
spotter up a notch or two.

In the end it is up to the spotter to seek further education.
Don't wait around for the government to hand you everything.
(unless your a bank or GM)

Tim

Just as soon as you guys start volunteering your time to further train spotters and chasers in your area, we'll get some results.

While I'm sure none of you would even consider saying that the NWS mets should work harder, they're under constraints too. You simply cannot cover the material in a way that would benefit everyone from the first time attendee to the seasoned spotter.

Want something more advanced? Set it up. Talk to your EM or RACES/Skywarn coordinators and see if there's something that can be worked out. Expecting a second class or more beyond the basic class from our NWS mets is just irrisponsible. They have primary jobs to do and I'd rather have them watching the weather than taking the time to do something that I've already done on my own.

*****, moan, or gripe all you want, but if you see something that needs to be done and you've got enough time to complain about it... you've got enough time to step up and help out.

As a RACES/Skywarn coordinator I, along with the other AEC and EC, am doing all I can to help educate people. We've set up multiple trainings, probably more than we should bother the NWS with, and we're there to offer support. The training I got when I was younger was enough to make me seek out more information. It caused me to find places like this where I can talk to the more experienced. The ultimate solution is YOU.

I'm sorry, but there's no doubt that the Commerce Department isn't going to see a sudden jump in funding, and therefore you should not expect a sudden change in policy with regards to training of spotters.

Tim is right, but at the same time we also shouldn't just expect people to do it on their own. There are people who don't know they don't know. It's up to us, the more experienced, to show them what's what and how to be better at their VOLUNTEER service. We might even learn something about ourselves in the process.

As far as the class DTX offers, specifically this year, I think it was very well put together. It does in fact get more deep into the dynamics of storm development and what to look for. There's even an interactive quiz to help distinguish SCUD from the real deal.

I recognize all the time and effort put into all of this, and while all offices are different, there's not a one of us here who can't say we don't appreciate what the NWS mets do.

If you have specific suggestions or comments about the training course that's presented, I suggest you contact the WCM at your NWS office and not bugger up this forum. It will be much better recieved by them and your efforts will be better utilized.

Of course Andrew, you assume that none of us have ever done that. I've spoken at some of the spotter meetings, but outside of that I have offered, many times to various EM, law enforcement, fire dept, etc to come out and give them some more specialized training.

Would you like to guess what I was told in every case?

"The National Weather Service already comes out and gives us training."

Yep, they feel that is enough.

David, I never said you, or anyone else. I was being as general as possible.

Don't know about you, but if things were bad enough, their lack of support wouldn't stop me. It's not against the law to give your own training. If you're willing to devote the time to offer it, then why not just do it?

That's my point though. In all the ones I personally have spoken with (I'm not talking about NWS), they all feel that the 1-2 hour classes the NWS comes out and gives them is all they ever need. How can you volunteer additional training if they don't want it?

For instance, in one particular county, I hear them on the scanner when storms are in their area, they activate their little EOC and their designated people go out and look. I can tell from being in the same places as they are, or by noting their locations and what they are trying to see, that they could very much benefit from additional training. They have a main guy at the EOC that gives out radar info he's getting from the local TV station website (not all that great and not very frequently updated). Bless his heart, he tried but it's clear he really does not know what he is looking at 90% of the time.

I offered the Sheriff one time when we talked to come up and give then some more detailed radar training. I was hoping he would take me up on that, and maybe it could eventually move in to giving them more detailed instructions on chasing the storms in their county, which is what they attempt to do.

I was told they had classes from the NWS and they have a guy that knows all about the radar.

Which is why I guess I hear him say things like "well the it's green and I think there might be some hail because there is some yellow just north of ______" and it's clear even by that he's looking at radar over an hour old.

Just one example. Hopefully my experiences aren't the norm. I'm absolutely all for volunteering some time for some more in depth training, but they have to be receptive to it.

I see your point! "...drove the Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry?"

There IS only so much you can do and my comments weren't directed to you or anyone else who volunteers. It just bugs me that some people see fit to soapbox here when really they should be directing their thoughts and comments to the WCM.

Hah, you have been here in my county! We even have our own radar......

But you will never tell anyone here that they don't know it all and need more training, it pains me to listen to the radar summaries and field reports at times and especially when I am looking at what was just reported as _________!

They only use their fireman, they take no one else anymore and sometimes the fellows that head out are already so tanked it's a flipping wonder there haven't been reports of little green men falling from the sky!

For instance, in one particular county, I hear them on the scanner when storms are in their area, they activate their little EOC and their designated people go out and look. I can tell from being in the same places as they are, or by noting their locations and what they are trying to see, that they could very much benefit from additional training. They have a main guy at the EOC that gives out radar info he's getting from the local TV station website (not all that great and not very frequently updated). Bless his heart, he tried but it's clear he really does not know what he is looking at 90% of the time.

I offered the Sheriff one time when we talked to come up and give then some more detailed radar training. I was hoping he would take me up on that, and maybe it could eventually move in to giving them more detailed instructions on chasing the storms in their county, which is what they attempt to do.

I was told they had classes from the NWS and they have a guy that knows all about the radar.

Which is why I guess I hear him say things like "well the it's green and I think there might be some hail because there is some yellow just north of ______" and it's clear even by that he's looking at radar over an hour old.

Just one example. Hopefully my experiences aren't the norm. I'm absolutely all for volunteering some time for some more in depth training, but they have to be receptive to it.

I dont buy into the fact someone can be "certified" by a two-hour class. Ive been to plenty of classes and its all pretty much the same subject matter. Its good and educational and all that but i felt like it was missing something. There wasnt any kind of "certification" from what i saw. You just signed in and sat there.

My philosophy on the matter is this. I believe that its better to have 100 "trained" spotters then 3000 "untrained" spotters. If your considering a layman who comes in off the street with no prior education to severe storms. You cant expect him to be a viable spotter and fully understand storm structure and mechanics the first time around. It has taken me years to get to this education level and sometimes i still dont know what im looking at.

Opening the doors to anybody is just setting yourself up to get more conflicting reports. When you start getting a bunch of bull**** coming in, you start losing the integrity of ground truth information. I strongly agree along the lines of what apritchard was talking about. Instead of having a 2-hour meet twice a year. I would propose that people have to go through and fill out several detailed applications to be a NWS spotter. I also think that people need to go through about 20 hours of extensive training and be tested on their knowledge at the end of each session. I also like the idea of doing a little ride along to view a real-life thunderstorm.

Having rigorous standards is critical to having good, reliable reports. I know there are some that would say that its crazy to expect people to jump through hoops like that, but the way i see it. Its the hoops that would attract only the best and brightest to go out there. Only someone who truly had a hard on to be a spotter would go through there. A program like that would be a dual sided blade that weeds out those who are too lazy or uncommited to follow through and provides more detailed training to those who really do care and want to do a good job.

Ive been to too many classes where the instructor says "im sorry, ill try to wrap this up as soon as possible". Somehow i feel thats where the problem lies. I believe as with anything, if your going to do something, you might as well go all the way. Otherwise its best not to go at all. If you packed all your yearly funds spent on current spotter training and consolidated it all to one 20 hour-course session held one week once a year at a reputable university camperson. You would have less spotters coming out but alot higher quality spotters.

That's my point though. In all the ones I personally have spoken with (I'm not talking about NWS), they all feel that the 1-2 hour classes the NWS comes out and gives them is all they ever need. How can you volunteer additional training if they don't want it?

OK, new spotter here, and I'm speaking my mind, please don't take offense y'all, but I calls it like I sees it.

I fully agree with the points that have been made here...but let's look at it from the other side!

One thing that has been a hurdle for my family is that the training schedule is not easy to find if you don't know where to look. We watched the news for the workshop info for 2 months and never heard a thing about it last year. This year, we'd done some research and found the local NOAA guy's email.

Then, we go to the meeting, and I had hell getting a good grasp on it because of the guy in the row behind me constantly commenting on EVERY photo and video. This is one of our local emergency services guys, believe it or not. As if the comments weren't loud enough to break my ability to pay careful attention, he was also smack-talking on "new spotters" every time they showed people who got stuck/washed away/hailed on...

I couldn't answer any of the little "pop quiz" questions because I hadn't heard all of the lecture. I had to go back and study on my own and didn't have the ability to ask questions on the material, since I had not heard enough to know what I didn't understand about it.

Another issue---Have you all been to any of the spotter chat rooms? I've asked questions in there, and rarely gotten them answered. I joined some of these chats because I thought I could get a better idea about what I'm doing out in the field, and get some quick answers to questions that I might have. Nope. Most of my questions are completely ignored. There are some who will answer, but mostly I'm left with a feeling like I'm not part of the elite clique, so I should STFU. I understand that sometimes in the chats, people are paying attention to the chases that may be happening at the time, but really, how much trouble is it to answer a question here and there?

Here are a few that I've asked recently...and been completely ignored.

How far off can one see a tornado? How reliable is the tornado history project? Is the RFD always on the same side of a tornado? Can you get a clearing (RFD) without an actual tornado touching down? Can you get a tornado without an RFD? Do tornadoes ever appear from the tower, or is it always from the wall? (yea I know these should be on another thread, I'm just using them for the point I'm making here)

My point is:
Some of us are receptive..........but we hit brick walls.

Yes, the training should be much more in-depth, and accessible, because (for one thing) I should not have had to learn not to punch a core by way of a microburst moving the truck to the other lane, tires off the pavement. I know it was a microburst and not a macroburst because I found it in the Advanced Spotter's Field Guide earlier today. The training should also be a class and not a "good time to meet your buddies and talk about the accident that you worked earlier in the day". Thank God I watch the news story that they put out every year during severe weather awareness week, or I'd have thought I was in a tornado when I was in a gustnado, similar to a report made in one of the posts above!

OK,

How far off can one see a tornado? How reliable is the tornado history project? Is the RFD always on the same side of a tornado? Can you get a clearing (RFD) without an actual tornado touching down? Can you get a tornado without an RFD? Do tornadoes ever appear from the tower, or is it always from the wall? (yea I know these should be on another thread, I'm just using them for the point I'm making here)

1. It all depends on the atmospheric conditions as to how far you can see a tornado. It depends on lightning, dust or pollutants in the air, among other things. Storm evolution such as HP (rain wrapped tornado) or LP storms play a role in the visibility of tornadoes. Some tornadoes can be seen for maybe 10 miles or more, while others cannot be seen until you're very close.

2. Have no idea.

3. I don't think the RFD is always on the same side. I think it would depend if it's cyclonic or anticyclonic.

4. You can get an RFD without a tornado forming. If the RFD isn't strong or warm enough, a tornado may not form. There are a lot of papers and essays on RFD interaction and tornado formation.

5. I imagine you can get a tornado without an RFD forming. It helps to have an RFD because it aids in the stretching of the vortex to the ground.

6. Nothing says that tornadoes have to form from a wall cloud. Most of the time they do, but not always. It just depends on where the localized rotation is the strongest. Again, wall clouds typically produce tornadoes, but it's a good idea to have your head on a swivel looking at other areas. A lot of times Mother Nature doesn't play by the book.

Be aware that I'm definitely not an expert on any of these subjects that I answered. Some may even be totally wrong, If they are, someone please correct me.

LOL. Jason, thank you so very much! Hehe, I may bring cookies for the KAMR booth at the workshop!

Add:

If anyone would like to organize a training class on their own, I'm sure there would be some interested parties. I don't the sherriff's office or the EM folks would even have to be involved. Maybe the EM folks believe their limited training is enough, but I'm sure that us plain-clothed people of the community would welcome more opportunities to learn. I can tell you that there are 4 of us who would attend for sure...especially if the word gets out through fliers or on the radio. There's no need for a TV commercial, really. Word of mouth on amateur radio would do it too--you wouldn't believe how many of us are scanner geeks (course, as of yesterday, I'm a licensed ham hehe).

And I am intersested in seeing how many show up for the workshop in a couple of weeks, too.

I think it's a given that better training is needed. The NWS does a very good job, but it isn't really enough. Keeping this on the Spotter level (Spotter meaning the folks that don't venture far away from their home town and report to a specific authority), I go back to my original presumption: Dedication, funding and interest. If I were to require "ride alongs", "certifications", and more "stringent training" I would loose 98% of the Spotters in the entire County! I really doubt that there would be enough "new" interest to make up 4% of the 98% lost.

Living in one of the more tornado prone area of Oklahoma, this would be a devastating loss of eyes and ears.

It's not easy as almost any EM will tell you. The volunteers are exactly that. They get no pay, no reimbursement, and little recognition. It's not as glamorous as a Volunteer Fire Fighter and it sometimes require long hours at night. I could go on and on here.

I believe that the NWS training is a very good start. Unfortunately, too many view this as the "Alpha and Omega". Beyond requiring that Spotters attend either annual and bi-annual training, there's not much that can be done. Personally, I talk to all of our Spotters directly associate with the County. I explain to them that I would be more than happy to give them the tools and train them to my level any time they wish. Just keep me going with coffee. Have any of them taken me up on it? Not yet.

JD

Understood, John. Everything you just mentioned would be welcomed with my group...

But there are only 4 of us. There were about 30 people at the spotter training last month, and about half of them were with the local EM, who were "dragged in" for their usual training.

I really think that if the word got out in our area for sure, more interest would be shown. The local EM here is the HQ for the spotters...these are the ones who spot storms around the city during storm season and then work accidents and other catastrophies the rest of the time. And no, they don't seem very happy to do it. The meeting that we attended after spotter training was basically a lecture
"Don't gab on the radio. remember the 15-3-15 rule."
"Folks, be specific about where you are located in case something happens, so we can find you."

If you require the more stringent training, it's not as enticing, lol. The NOAA guys did a great job with their power point presentation...but then the info was very basic, and the "regulars" in the class made it difficult to learn. I do feel like I got a certificate just because I showed up tho....almost like I cheated. lol

I am always eager to learn more, as is my son and my Husband, and a good friend of ours who got into chasing/spotting because of the fun we've had. Most people we know say we're crazy, but would love to come along when we go. We're not in it just to get photos or be a warning system. We are also setting up to be of assistance to victims. We've taken our amateur radio tests and are planning a CPR class next.

But we're having to seek out this knowledge on our own. No one is putting out the info about it.

Great topic here! I just wanted to let thoes interested know what we do here for training. In order to join our spotter group we put on 2- 6 hour training classes that our advanced spotters teach,they are required to attend both classes as well as the NWS training class. For their first season they only go out with an advanced spotter,no exceptions. That way we know they are safe and they can also "learn on the job" so to speak. To graduate they need to have 3 severe weather deployments and the spotters that they deployed with must also sign off on them. It's alot of extra hours for us to put this on since we put together our own curriculum and teach the class, but I feel confident that we are getting reliable and accurate reports and our spotters will go home safe after a job well done.

Back