Does anyone record severe weather TV coverage?

Does anyone ever record their local weatherman during a severe outbreak?

I used to do this a lot last season just because I'm a huge radar geek and its always cool to see Fastrac or StormSentinel in action.

I would love to get a copy of some past severe Oklahoma footage of Mike Morgan during the May 3rd 1999 storm or any decent storm for that matter.

- Jon

Footage of channel 9 OKC w/ Gary England during the 5/3/1999 would be nice to have. I've seen tidbits of it on the TLC Tornado! doc but the whole shebang would be icing on the cake.

I taped TWC on May 10, 2003 and March 30, 2005 and local weatherman Bob Lindimier on May 30, 2003 and July 04, 2003 (as a massive derecho was crossing the Mississippi, but it weakened over WI). I wish I'd taped August 18, 2005.

I have some old May 3, 1999 coverage from the TV stations...unfortunately, I recorded over a raw section of footage from KWTV (ch. 9). It was really crazy stuff...it seemed like the tornado never changed, it was huge the entire time.

I like to tape raw TV coverage; I did so on May 29, 2004 because of the anticipated tornado outbreak. It was actually pretty good, except that the only storm in the OKC viewing area was an HP (which made for less-than-desirable live shots).

Gabe

I have quite a few tapes of severe weather events no matter how big or small they may be from around the Houston area. The most notable being the November 17th 2003 tornado/flash flood event and the amazing Christmas eve/day snow storm here in Southeast Texas.

When the weather gets boring around here, which it has been the past several months, it's nice to replay tv coverage from the event. I have even caught some features on radar that I missed during the actual event itself. :)

I used to tape TWC radar images back in the early 90's from the "local on the 8's," whenever there were some big storms moving towards my local area. Although, back then they didn't have the animation feature yet. They just showed the latest available still radar image. I would literally turn the VCR on manually on and off each time the radar was updated. So I ended up with a messy looking time lapse. Every once in awhile I'll get out an old tape and watch it. It's pretty humorous actually.

I also have five solid hours of TWC footage, commercials and all, from hurricane Opal back in 1995. I had classes that day that I couldn't miss. So I popped a tape in the VCR and recorded the whole time I was gone.

There are a few monitoring services for most local TV markets. Of course, you have to pay for the footage, so thats a negative. For example, here is a listing with all markets shown http://www.metromonitor.com/metro_monitor_markets.htm

If you google, TV tracker, TV clipping service, Television monitoring...etc...you will find many companys.

Of course, setting up the Tivo could do it too if you have that service.

Footage of channel 9 OKC w/ Gary England during the 5/3/1999 would be nice to have. I've seen tidbits of it on the TLC Tornado! doc but the whole shebang would be icing on the cake.

You used to be able to order tapes from the NEWS9 website, but I can't seem to find it on there now. I have the May 3rd Deadly Force tape and it has to be seen to be believed.

Yeah, I've recorded all kinds of different events. Lately, with the use of my comptuer, it's easier to record them and organize them. During the last few major storms, I record the web cams outside when a storm is close and record the entire event. It's really interesting to go back and see how things developed.

I figured I wasn't the only one who did this! My wife thought I was crazy. Probably thought I was losing my mind or something.

Some of you guys w/ that old news footage should host it on www.filefront.com for people to download and watch. That would be awesome!

I figured I wasn't the only one who did this! My wife thought I was crazy. Probably thought I was losing my mind or something.

Some of you guys w/ that old news footage should host it on www.filefront.com for people to download and watch. That would be awesome!

Yeah, except it would probably be a violation of the news stations copyrights to do that.

Yeah, except it would probably be a violation of the news stations copyrights to do that.

From personal experience, I think at the very worst they would send legal documentation notifying you to remove all copyrighted materials. If you failed to comply, then they MIGHT file a lawsuit. But with the footage being old, non-profit, etc.. I think the chances of them persuing it are slim to none.

I'm not a legal advisor, and I DID NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

Back