Dell laptops and EVDO data cards

If there’s anyone out there thinking about purchasing a Dell Inspiron 6000 to run a EVDO data card… you better think again as the 6000 mother board is not compatible with EVDO type-II cards. Fortunately, Dell is well aware of the problem and is taking back the computer. Unfortunately for me, none of Dell’s current laptops will work (run) with type-II EVDO data cards so I must hunt around the various manufacturers. My old Inspiron 4150 runs the card just fine. So much for my thinking of “newer is betterâ€￾. By the end of '06 the express card, EVDO cards should be out which should fix Dell's problem.

Anyway, if you're thinking EVDO in early '06... think "Not a Dell Inspiron 6000."

--Al Pietrycha

Al,

I forked out cash for a EVDO-enabled phone and purchased a phone-as-modem plan; the USB hookup (or Bluetooth) allows you to access the EVDO on most laptops as long as your phone will work with the computer. May be an alternative for the card, and cheaper per month with no separate contracts.

Uhh..you sure about *all* current Dells?

I have a KPC650 and a Latitude D810 that I use every time I'm on the road.

Bunch of executives at work have the el-cheapo verizon data cards that they use with their various model of Dells (810 is our standard but some are older)

I ordered a Dell XPSM140 which should be here tomorrow, nice laptop the only downfall is from what I read it doesn't have PCMCIA Type II slots, instead it itakes ExpressCard's.

It has a built in wireless, but I would rather have a wireless card with external antenna but no luck on finding one yet.

I am working on a inspiron 6000 right now:) I have a nice USB to phone cable and am using the verizon Quick2Net connection (14.4) works great! No pcmi card needed:)

I did just buy the insprion 6000 and was shocked to see the post, actually panicked is more like it... I crank up the Verizon National Access for the storm season and my stormlab software buzzes right along...

regards,

Johnathan Brouwer

Tyler wrote:

>Uhh..you sure about *all* current Dells?
>I have a KPC650 and a Latitude D810 that I use every time I'm on the road.

I’ll try to be more explicit with this email. After several conversations with Dell, the bottom line is the KPC650 will not work with the current mother board used for the Inspiron 6000. Unfortunately I was not aware of the countless bboards crying about this issue until after I purchased the card and the 6000. Fortunately, Dell promptly took the computer back after I mentioned I was trying to use an EDVO card. Unfortunately, I was told by a Dell representative they don’t have a current production, upper scale laptop (e.g., XPS M170) that will work smoothly with a PCMCIA Type II EDVO card. Dell’s next generation of mid-line laptops w/ express slots (e.g., the Inspiron E series) are ‘billed’ as ready to run but that won’t help me. I can’t find a link on Dell’s page to their current production Latitude series, so maybe there’s hope yet for me.

I’m all ears for suggestions on a new laptop that will run the KPC650 and has at least four (4) USB ports and an internal WIFI card.

--Some computer manufacturer please take my $$

I’m all ears for suggestions on a new laptop that will run the KPC650 and has at least four (4) USB ports and an internal WIFI card.[/b]

Do you really need the 4 internal ports? You could get the high end Latitude D series and buy a small 4 port hub. The hub I have is the size of a credit card. Laptop has 2 USB, DB9 serial, built in wifi, etc.

--Some computer manufacturer please take my $$
[/b]

hehehe :) Did dell try and give you the whole "if you keep the laptop or find someone else who wants it we will credit $100 back on your credit card". They did that to me when I wanted to return an incorrectly ordered system (my mistake, but they have a return policy). I took it and found someone (dad) who wanted a new PC at cost.

Back