Cool tornado pics from Bahrain

Originally posted by Dan Robinson+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Robinson)</div>
Originally posted by Andrew Khan+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andrew Khan)
<!--QuoteBegin-Greg Stumpf
@
<!--QuoteBegin-Bill Hark

The tornado appears to be of the landspout variety

Just curious - what makes you think this?

I also think it is of the landspout nature as well. Why? Visual evidence shows that. Not to say looks can be false. Landspouts generally do not have a 'full' condensation funnel, and generally just the vortex continues to the ground and dust or debris fills in the shape. This is just from what I have read and studied.....[/b]

Some supercell tornadoes can have poorly-developed funnels or none at all. For example Rolla, Kansas 5/31/96 and Salt Lake City, Utah 8/11/99. The first two tornadoes on 5/12/04 (Medicine Lodge/Attica) initially had little in the way of a condensation funnel despite a strong circulation and dust/debris whirl at the ground.[/b][/quote]

Why do some tornadoes have weak and poorly formed funnels with them?

Sort of like the 6/29/05 MN torndoes....it took on a landspout-ish look, because the funnel was not well developed while the vortex had already reached the earths surface.

Originally posted by Andrew Khan+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andrew Khan)</div>
Originally posted by Greg Stumpf@
<!--QuoteBegin-Bill Hark

The tornado appears to be of the landspout variety

Just curious - what makes you think this?
I also think it is of the landspout nature as well. Why? Visual evidence shows that. Not to say looks can be false. Landspouts generally do not have a 'full' condensation funnel, and generally just the vortex continues to the ground and dust or debris fills in the shape. This is just from what I have read and studied.....[/b]
The presence or lack of a condensation funnel has no bearing whatsoever on the source of the vorticity that produced the tornado. It is a factor of the humidity and pressure deficit in the vortex, whether or not both can combine to bring the air to saturation to condense cloud. For example, non-supercell tornadoes (landspouts) are the common tornado variety along the sea-breeze convergence zones in Florida and along the Gulf Coast in summer, and conditions usually allow for full condensation funnels there. Other responders have also noted that supercell tornadoes can frequently be observed sans condensation funnels. And I've witnessed a couple of Colorado landspouts with full condensation contact.

Just wanted to clear that up with some folks with misconceptions. As for what kind of tornado that was in Bahrain - without more data or photographs of the storm structure, I will not venture to guess.

I think the chances are this was a landspout. There would be perhaps more to the weather story if there was a supercell there.

The term 'mini tornado' has been used for years by the media in both Australia and New Zealand.

Back