"Violently" removed from official AMS definition of tornado

He’s just using an example. The kid doesn’t have to be in the tornado. Brian means that the tornado hurled a piece of debris for -blank- miles away.

EF0 tornadoes don't hurl debris anywhere near a mile... I guess my point is this - since meteorology is a science, and "violently" is not a scientifically-defined term, there's no need for it in a definition. This tweak makes perfect sense.

He’s just using an example. The kid doesn’t have to be in the tornado. Brian means that the tornado hurled a piece of debris for -blank- miles away.

Correct MikeD. RDale, you guys do this work on more than a Part Time basis. You're asking me like I'm stupid, "What am I taking about?" People get injured by EF0 tornados. Google it. So I found it more than comical that an authorized organization dealing with tornados would say that they are not violent winds. That's all. Or, did I miss something?

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack

Exactly, an EF0 is still a violently rotating, chaotic column of air, compared to a gentle breeze. It could be capable of putting a piece of debris into an eyeball causing massive damage. So, I guess we will wait for that to happen and someone will sue to put violent back into the definition field. People need to justify their existence. 50 years from now, he can tell his grandchild, "Yep sunny boy, I'm the guy who took the word violent out of the tornado glossary. All under your pappy's leadership."

Lol You just can't make this stuff up

Exactly, an EF0 is still a violently rotating, chaotic column of air, compared to a gentle breeze. It could be capable of putting a piece of debris into an eyeball causing massive damage. So, I guess we will wait for that to happen and someone will sue to put violent back into the definition field. People need to justify their existence. 50 years from now, he can tell his grandchild, "Yep sunny boy, I'm the guy who took the world violent out of the tornado glossary. All under your pappy's leadership."

Lol You just can't make this stuff up

I'm having a really difficult time deciphering what message you were trying to convey with this response. Can you clarify your point?

I'm having a really difficult time deciphering what message you were trying to convey with this response. Can you clarify your point?

Sorry Jeff, reposted incorrectly. Still trying to learn editing tool on forum with my phone

Correct MikeD. People do get injured by EF0 tornados. Injuries by a "violent" wind. So I found it comical that the AMS would choose to remove the word violent when describing tornadoes. That's all.

Last edited:
Sorry Jeff, reposted incorrectly. Still trying to learn editing tool on forum with my phone

Correct MikeD. People do get injured by EF0 tornados. Injuries by a "violent" wind. So I found it comical that the AMS would choose to remove the word violent when describing tornadoes. That's all.

A good edit would be to get rid of “Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack.”

Correct MikeD. RDale, you guys do this work on more than a Part Time basis. You're asking me like I'm stupid, "What am I taking about?" People get injured by EF0 tornados. Google it. So I found it more than comical that an authorized organization dealing with tornados would say that they are not violent winds. That's all. Or, did I miss something?

I'd say you missed something. The fact that they removed the word "violent" from the definition is not saying that tornadoes of any intensity are not destructive, powerful, etc. While any reason I could come up with as to why they removed "violent" from the definition would be purely speculation, I'd have to agree with Jeff's explanation above of the subjective nature of the word.

Sure, people can get injured from tornadoes of any intensity. Having partaken in damage surveys of different intensity tornadoes, I can tell you that most people who are impacted directly by a tornado couldn't care less what the definition of a tornado was. They usually want to know if it was a tornado or straight-line winds, and if it was a tornado, maybe what intensity it was. I would argue the definition is used for academic, research, and operational purposes, and will most likely change again as the science advances. But that is of no concern to the general public.

So I found it more than comical that an authorized organization dealing with tornados would say that they are not violent winds.

Nobody said you're stupid - but you clearly didn't understand the reason it was removed. It's because "violently" is not defined in the literature, as Jeff pointed out in the very second message.

A definition isn't the same as a description. When coming up with a scientific definition, it's best to use the minimum number of physical criteria that will uniquely specify the phenomenon you're trying to define. In this context, using the word "violent" is simply unnecessary. That it's capable of causing damage or injury is already implied by the minimum wind speed criteria. This is in addition to the problem that "violent" may have different interpretations (is it describing the wind's capability of producing damage/destruction, or is it some physical characteristic of the motion?).

Within the context of an informal dictionary-type definition, it might be okay to include the word "violent". The AMS definitions are geared towards meteorologists though, not the public in general. Therefore they should attempt to be more formal. Scientists need concise definitions when they're referring to natural phenomena in formal publications. Not having concise definitions makes their job harder, as a reviewer can have questions as to what the author is talking about when using terminology. It may seem pedantic, but there's a reason for it.

Last edited:
Back