• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Coming "Super" El Nino Could Be Strongest Ever

I hate the use of the term "super El Nino". There are already designations for El Nino/La Nina strength based on ONI: "weak", "moderate", "strong". Why does someone have to insert the bogus adjective "super"? Just another instance of media hype. To my knowledge the CPC does not use the term "super" to describe a strong ENSO event.

While I'm not sure about the CPC using the phrase "Super El Nino", I do know that there is a "Very Strong El Nino" category for Enso phases surpassing the 2.0 degree Celsius mark. I have heard many well respected meteorologists and knowledgeable people on other weather forums I frequent use "Very Strong" and "Super" interchangeably for these events passing that 2.0 degree Celsius mark. In this day and age where the hype train is strong this type of terminology gets thrown around a lot, but in this case I think it's legit as the models have been showing a pretty good chance of this current El Nino falling into the "Very Strong" or "Super" category as we move into fall and winter.

Perhaps we should can it an unprecedentedly strong El Nino. Wait, that's too big of a word to use in public, and it will upset climate change skeptics. Maybe we should call it THE NINO 3: With a Vengeance. But technically this is the 4th strong nino since we've started monitoring this stuff. So would it be THE NINO 4: A good Nino to Nino?

Back