Climatology: anomalous weather only recently?

"my citations are myself, and other pieces of knowledge I have picked up along the way, and that is something that no one can cite"

That may work on the "end is here" freak forums, but on a scientific-based discussion you have to have evidence or some sort of backing - opinions aren't worth much in the world of science. There's something about facts that many of us appreciate ;>

Usually when people pick of "pieces of knowledge" they take them out of context, or they just hear something on TV or read it on a blog, and have no idea where the source of the information is or how that conclusion came about. Mike posted links and backing to refute the "we will all melt" philosophy. In a scientific debate, that always wins over "something that no one can cite."

- Rob

I really do not hav e any citations 'worth' posting here...I've picked up a lot of information...from places, people, etc. And, I can not cite that.

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
I am not writing a college research paper here, I don't intend to...

All Rob is trying to say is that if you make an argument on a scientific stand point but don't have facts, then you're probably better off NOT arguing/debating the point. Notice how Mike and Scott both have different views - yet they EACH back their views with scientific data.

You may not be writing a research paper, but if you're going to debate/argue on a scientific forum, you might as well have some research handy - otherwise as I said, you're probably better off not debating the topic at hand.

Or start a thread entitled "who believes global warming is real, because their gut tells them so." ;> Nothing personal - and I'm glad you have an enthusiasm for weather - but you need to realize that weather is a science, and while "gut feelings" can help you out in the forecast process, they are no replacement for facts...

Less than 200 years of data is by no means sufficient to SUPPORT OR REFUTE the theory of the human influence on global warming. Furthermore, the abstract and article that Mike Smith posted on page 2 further call into question the accuracy of the 200 years of data. I guess the way I feel is that it's definitely possible but without more than an infinitely small percentage of the Earth's history to study, who's to say that it isn't just cyclical in nature and nothing more. OTOH, it is definitely a possiblity that global warming is human-influence in nature, it is just too serious a claim with too serious implications to base such conclusions on incomplete (IMO) data.

Originally posted by rdale
Or start a thread entitled \"who believes global warming is real, because their gut tells them so.\" ;> Nothing personal - and I'm glad you have an enthusiasm for weather - but you need to realize that weather is a science, and while \"gut feelings\" can help you out in the forecast process, they are no replacement for facts...

Rdale, I don't have a "Gut Feeling" about this matter. I'm sure there are some stronger feelings embedded within me, but that is by no means, WHY I believe it. I have picked up many facts, and researched ideas, from many places for the past.......4 years. I have no way of citing all these things...they took place at various places, times, etc. I urge you to look at this link: http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/fee...cout528501.html it discusses some things, that are quite important in my beliefs. I have agreed once, and I will do so as many times as I need to. Nothing is written in stone about this. I know completely that there are no SOLID facts about this, so please stop bringing that into your posts.

Back