Chaser Safety and Responsibility suggestions

Reading this thread far longer than I should (wall to wall workload because of the Denver trip), I realized that we're talking a lot more about HOW or IF we should address the problem than actually doing it. So, for the benefit of what must be at least a dozen or more newer chasers, I'll post the only two pieces of writing on this topic that have survived through the years.

Durability is the final measurement of any literature. Nobody is going to look back on this ST thread or the other seven in the archives and admire (or despise) what we're saying. Why? Because none of us, myself included, are saying much of anything. We've all been so conditioned to cautiousness on this topic that what we say is pretty ho-hum. Well, these essays are from some guys who can never be called ho-hum.

I'll keep these links on my front page until the day I take the site down. When somebody else writes something as good or better (myself included) I'll add that too. Until then:

Storm Chasing with Safety, Courtesy, and Responsibility
by Dr. Charles A. Doswell III

Storm Chase Ethics by Alan Moller

And while I'm listing some of the primary texts from this hobby's short history, here's another:

Why Chase Tornadoes by David Hoadley

Just try to get as far off the right of way as you possibly can. Obviously, that's not always easy, but try to do the best you can. Use your signals when turning or stopping. Seems like 90% of these issues would go away with just a little common courtesy. The other 10% are hopeless anyway.

That sums up a ton of it right there. Common sense and courtesy will aleviate most of the issues were are talking about. But there are some horrific drivers out there and it only makes sense a few would end up chasing...lol. Ofcourse wasnt it just a few years ago you were and Graham were tailgating some "cute girl" near a storm in west Oklahoma and she wouldnt move over or speed up only to later pass her and find out it was Shane!!! Sorry had to bring that memory back..and yes I admit I was with you too. :oops:

Believe, I would much rather convert a yahoo to a responsible chaser through diplomacy (such as online information, public lectures, etc), rather than resort to other means (BTW, I was not advocating harsh actions like violence, just simple things like photos on the web).

The problem with that though Greg (the posting of photos of behaviour) is that it's all too easy for something to be taken out of context, or something seeming to be bad behaviour by one party may not really have been, there could have been other circumstances that caused that. Then we get into a he-said she-said war and that just creates further animosity among us. I have long said the bickering amongst ourselves would be the undoing of the storm chasing community long before anything else does.

Quite frankly, and I am going to use you for an example here Greg, and Dr. Chuck since this started about his presentation.... I personally would like to hear a lot more about learning good forecasting skills from you guys than I would about whether or not you guys care for some yahoos behaviour. Both of you guys have an TREMENDOUS wealth of knowledge on that front to impart to probably 99% of the rest of us that I, and I am sure pretty much all of the rest of us, would love to draw from. You are pretty much legendary and well respected in the forecasting realm and Chuck's contributions over the years are well known throughout meteorology. Perhaps more interactions on those fronts would get help the other problems take care of themselves, and then when some suggestions did come down the pike on chaser ethics, it would be more listened to?

What we need in chasing is a few more "elmers" as we call them in the ham radio world.

Just try to get as far off the right of way as you possibly can. Obviously, that's not always easy, but try to do the best you can. Use your signals when turning or stopping. Seems like 90% of these issues would go away with just a little common courtesy. The other 10% are hopeless anyway.

That sums up a ton of it right there. Common sense and courtesy will aleviate most of the issues were are talking about. But there are some horrific drivers out there and it only makes sense a few would end up chasing...lol. Ofcourse wasnt it just a few years ago you were and Graham were tailgating some "cute girl" near a storm in west Oklahoma and she wouldnt move over or speed up only to later pass her and find out it was Shane!!! Sorry had to bring that memory back..and yes I admit I was with you too. :oops:

Little things like that are a perfect example of why I don't think it would be a good idea to post up photos/video all over the net about stuff like that, and not because it was me involved. At first it was perceived one way by Shane and crew, mostly fueled by the conversation between you and I over the radio about the slow drivers in front of us because we were trying to catch up to you. There were running below the speed limit if I recall, and there was quite a bit of oncoming traffic making it difficult to pass. I was getting a bit frustrated. Of course later after we all compared notes we all got a big laugh out of all of it (still do actually).

Things like that are what I am scared have the potential to do some real damage when it really isn't necessary.

I really think sometimes all the hyped emotions going on during a chase can easily overwhelm you and cause you to drive more aggresively than you might otherwise. Then again, I haven't had an accident that was my fault since I was 15 years old. I personally think that there are some people in chasing that are too OVERLY cautious when it comes to chasing, but that's just me. I figure they have their style they are comfortable with doing it, and I have mine. As long as we aren't running into each other or parking in front of the other's tripods etc, I just live and let live.

I just read part of Roger Edward's essay where he talked about tv reporters being a nusiance. To be honest, I've seen news crews around here do stupid things just to be (the 1st). I guess thats why my friends have a hard time everytime they tell me "Why don't you join that tv weather group they have?". I respond to them its because they don't know what they're doing. And they're going after that 1st there image which is not what I want. I want to watch storms and help where I can, not play this 1st image game and get myself on tv. Actually the television news crews is the last group of people I want to be around. I avoid them at all cost.

But reading your all posts, sounds like its more of an issues where you are all at. Here in southern Indiana I may have seen 1 or 2 non television crew storm chasers around here. To be honest I wish I could find them again and maybe learn a thing or two from them.

Another thing I am trying this year to keep from becoming a "yahoo" is that I taking all the past tornado outbreaks I know of in this area, and placing them on the map, and taking the area that gets hit the most and go explore those areas. So when another one does hit, I have some sort of a clue of where I am going. I would love to see a tornado, but I don't want to see one if it means someones being injured or even worse, their life.

Peer pressuring and responsible observations and/or documentation of endangering and irresponsible activities that put other individuals at risk are necessary responses to this problem which unfortunately seems to have escalated in the last 5 to 6 years from what I have personally observed.

We live in a very litigious society in the USA. It's prudent to stop and think that a lack of impulse control or poor judgment when operating a motor vehicle might result in a life-changing event to the detriment of yourself, your friends with you, and the unfortunate "other party" that had the misfortune of "being in your way" in their quest for storm observations.

The boorish behavior of interfering with videography/photography or other chasing culture activities is tolerable, the liability of killing or injuring innocent third parties IS NOT!

It wasn't that long ago that the legality limits of the "chasing frontier" were tested with chasers/spotters who in the quest for either a technical advantage and/or a narcissitic source supply began installing FCC Part 80 marine radar equipment on their personal vehicles. I followed all those threads here and on WX-Chase as those individuals vehemently *justified* their actions and created interference to licensed operators of research radars in spite of peer warnings and the clear cut illegality of their actions.

The Notice of Apparent Liability sent to those chasers/spotters (some who were licensed in the Amateur Radio Service) by the FCC carried an $8K fine. After considerable legal duress most of these individuals were able to mitigate their legal liability with the FCC. No one was injured or killed but there was a defiance to the law that resulted in legal action by the government.

I suppose it could be argued that marine radars on chaser/spotter vehicles is a victimless crime , and as such no big deal. I won't get started on unauthorized wireless LAN connectivity and other topics already discussed here and elsewhere concerning personal ethical behaviors. When we cross the threshold of personal injury and/or reckless endangerment to others and in particular to innocent third parties, we all should soberly be concerned about those who will destroy our fantastic hobby if left to their own devices with no intervention in either words or deeds.

If we do not police ourselves, I most assuredly know who will!

Now......the handwringing and chestbeating on this challenge to our community will fade temporarily as the GFS/Ensembles and ECMWF seem to signal the possibility of some lightspeed/high shear/low CAPE convection that will be palliative to the cabin fever that is
pervading us all.

Cordially and respectfully,

Craig

I also believe that all stormchasers tend to get a bit excited at times when in pursuit of the holy grail. I know i have sped way over limits at times and got frustrated with a slow driver in front of me. I have now learned to just let it go. There is no need to get stressed out over little things like that. It is not only unsafe for other people, but you and your passengers as well. I always like to think i'm helping the cause by helping others who may have recived storm damage. Also, if the road i'm on has debris i will stop and clean up the road the best i can without getting hurt myself. It just feels good to know that you're not just out there for yourself.

That is what i believe makes a good stormchaser. 8)

I just read part of Roger Edward's essay where he talked about tv reporters being a nusiance. To be honest, I've seen news crews around here do stupid things just to be (the 1st). I guess thats why my friends have a hard time everytime they tell me "Why don't you join that tv weather group they have?". I respond to them its because they don't know what they're doing. And they're going after that 1st there image which is not what I want. I want to watch storms and help where I can, not play this 1st image game and get myself on tv. Actually the television news crews is the last group of people I want to be around. I avoid them at all cost.

But reading your all posts, sounds like its more of an issues where you are all at. Here in southern Indiana I may have seen 1 or 2 non television crew storm chasers around here. To be honest I wish I could find them again and maybe learn a thing or two from them.

Another thing I am trying this year to keep from becoming a "yahoo" is that I taking all the past tornado outbreaks I know of in this area, and placing them on the map, and taking the area that gets hit the most and go explore those areas. So when another one does hit, I have some sort of a clue of where I am going. I would love to see a tornado, but I don't want to see one if it means someones being injured or even worse, their life.

Something to keep in mind Grady, there are two types of media chasers usually. Those that were chasers first, and then went to work chasing for a station, in my case it was to help cover rising chasing costs for one thing. Then there are the photographers they send out that are not chasers. Sometimes if they do it enough and have the interest they become chasers, but often they are told to go to so and so spot and get video. I've been trying to give some pointers to our photogs to help them out.

Something to keep in mind Grady, there are two types of media chasers usually. Those that were chasers first, and then went to work chasing for a station, in my case it was to help cover rising chasing costs for one thing. Then there are the photographers they send out that are not chasers. Sometimes if they do it enough and have the interest they become chasers, but often they are told to go to so and so spot and get video. I've been trying to give some pointers to our photogs to help them out.

To be honest David, I didn't even think about that. I defintely will keep that in mind though. If I happen to come near them, I may suggest a few things to them. Who knows, even though I don't like the idea being around them, maybe I can learn something about myself from them. Or better yet, maybe they can teach me a thing or two.

Good thoughts and it's a positive sign that at least these issues of chaser safety, courtesy and ethics are at least discussed once a year.

Some words to the wise. For those of you who believe that "chaser rights" are some ultimate, inalienable civil liberty, think again. First of all, chaser activities are frequently carried out on public roadways. Second, chaser activities are bound to converge on local public emergency situations. If you believe the state has no legitimate interest in regulating such activities, I wish you luck...because no court in the western world is going to uphold a civil liberties argument against a clear public safety interest.

The ironic thing is that storm chasers offer potentially overriding benefits to the community, namely:

1. Enhancement of public safety.
2. Scientific observation.
3. Journalistic documentation.

Perhaps not all storm chasers have an interest in providing these benefits. Indeed, by some comments on here, some storm chasers evidently feel they owe nothing to the community at large. Private citizens excercising their rights, no more, no less. Their gas money, their camera, their car....and no one else's business! Like a young punk with a bad attitude: legal today but screwed tomorrow.

Those who say they "owe nothing" to the likes of Chuck Doswell are like an 8-year old kid who picks up a basketball, makes a few good moves and shots in the YMCA rec league by the time they are 11 and then proclaim they "owe nothing" to Coach John Wooden. Great, wonderful, good luck kid. And what exactly have you added to the sport? And why exactly should we listen to you?

Wake up guys! We need a code of ethics for storm chasers and the sooner the better!

I will run you ALL over if you get in my way. I'll knock your tripods over, I'll moon your camcorders and I'll spray mace in everyone's face so I'm the only one that sees the tornado. I suggest you all stay home where you are safe. You can buy my DVD at the end of the year and see everything you missed in the comfort of your home.

This was written as a joke. I\'m sure some of you will take it seriously and get all bent out of shape. Please PM Nick Grillo with any compliants :lol:

I have a hard time controling other people. How about you? Take care of yourself and do your part and perhaps others will follow. If not well there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Just do your part... that simple.

Mick

Controlling other people is impossible. Setting out and proclaiming a standard is admirable. Beholding a community upholding a standard elevates each and every one of us. Why not strive for the highest?

Wake up guys! We need a code of ethics for storm chasers and the sooner the better!

:roll:

You need gas, a vehicle, and a cooperative sky.

If you are THAT worried about it all I suggest you stay home so the convergence has one less car, because guest what? Legislation over numbers on the roads around storms is a MUCH more likely scenario than person to person driving habits.

You can buy my DVD at the end of the year and see everything you missed in the comfort of your home.

Buy!?!? Where are your ethics! Didn't you know it is evil business selling the sky.

Back