Chaser Safety and Responsibility suggestions

Bill Hark

EF5
Dr Doswell gave the keynote speech at the Denver convention on chaser safety and responsibility. In a humerous but very serious fashion, he talked about dangerous chaser practices by new and veteran chasers along with your "average Joe" out to see the tornado. Dr Doswell also talked about his fears should there be a serious accident (ie lady with baby walking across street is killed by speeding chasers) He stated that any bad behavior becomes a reflection upon all of us.

Link to Dr. Doswell's often cited and quoted paper on safety
http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~doswell/Chasing2.html

Dr. Doswell asked that there be some discussion on how chaser safety can be nurtured and improved.

My thoughts: I don't think there is a way to enforce chaser safety through rules, membership in an association or sanctions. All chasers should strive to set an example of good chaser behavior. This should also be emphazied among tour groups since some participants are likely to be future chasers. When dangerous behavior is observed, I would suggest that the offending individual be privately e-mailed or contacted. As a last resort, a description of the situation, video clips or stills can be posted to ones website or a public forum. Nobody is perfect. I certainly would not be angry if someone contacted me about something I did.

Bill Hark

Yahoos cannot be avoided or likely stopped. Simply do your best to work around them as chasing continues to be an unrestricted hobby. The only thing you can do is NOT be a yahoo YOURSELF.

You can identify a yahoo as a self-proclaimed chaser with little regard to safety, respect, or the rule of law. Though every chaser from time to time makes mistakes or an irrational decision, yahoos do it as a way of chasing, which is reckless and dangerous.

When it comes down to missing the tornado or not, out in the middle of BFE, we're all yahoos.

Hey Bill I was wondering how you got all the tornados in Virginia...You yahoo you...lol

Well without any question I think everyone who chases has crossed the Yahoo status one or twice and sometimes you forget about it when your on a tornado or big storm. Maybe I am wrong but I have crossed that line before and many I have seen chasing have done the same thing.

But for the most part I keep a level head and stay focused as many chasers out there do.

I have to agree what Jeff says...........and also have to side with Shane too. We are ALL guilty of it at some point or another. If one of the biggest names in storm research can fess up to it, everyone should be able to and not feel like they are the ONLY one. You're NOT.

When I was younger I didn't really put safety as number 1. Pretty bad on my part. All I usually had was my 2 meter radio, laptop, and my camera. But this year, I chose to be different.

I have to say my change came pretty quick. Strange part of what caused me to changed didn't really effect me directly. It was when Katrina hit the coast, I watched CNN two straight months during my off time. I saw families watch friends and family die because they didn't have any way to get them medical aid. I am willing to admit, I get very nervous around anything medical. But this year, I chose that I would learn first aid and cpr. And now I am certified by the American Red Cross in First Aid and Adult CPR/AED. While my CPR will expire in September, I plan to go back to renew and get the child's CPR/AED so I have that knowlege.

While I am preping my new vehicle (2001 ford windstar) this year before the storm season several friends have shown interest as well. If they become permanent chasers with me, I may require them as well to become certified. Most that I explain why I feel that way, they understand and most show that they would be willing to do so.

I guess the point to all this is maybe once before I was just a yahoo. And getting a little older, I started to wake up I guess you can say and realize that this is no longer a game or just for fun. These storms are serious and they do hurt and injure people. Even though I never before wanted to see anyone hurt I guess I didn't realize myself I could be put in that situation until now.

I'll be quiet now :) - Grady

Originally posted by Eric Treece
I have to agree what Jeff says...........and also have to side with Shane too. We are ALL guilty of it at some point or another. If one of the biggest names in storm research can fess up to it, everyone should be able to and not feel like they are the ONLY one. You're NOT.

I totally agree with this one....lord knows I've made my share of bone-headed decisions in the past. Sometimes our adrenaline gets the best of us while we're out on the road. The most important thing to always remember is never make the same mistakes twice. Learn from it the first time and move on.

I was trying to think of a solution to this problem on the way back from the conference. The problem is that we do not like rules or have the ability to enforce good storm chasing conduct by everyone. As stated this means that eventually a situation will arise where storm chasing will come into danger either from an accident from ‘responsible’ chasers or ‘reckless’ chasers. The only idea I had that could perhaps counter act this was perhaps make a “storm chasing preservation associationâ€. The goals of such an organization would be to promote a good image of chasers, and develop funding for legal services to counter act legislation against storm chasing ‘freedoms’. Although I haven’t busted out a calculator to figure out how much this would cost from optional ‘association dues’ this is at least my idea. However, to promote a good image of chasers perhaps this organization could arrange meetings between ‘responsible’ chasers with local/state/federal government officials. This would perhaps add a buffer to any legislation backlash that could arrive from such an inevitable accident. Although as chasers I think we are a mixed bag politically maybe the ACLU would support us in keeping storm chasing liberty alive! Perhaps this could help with the legal service funding for such a group. Well that’s my idea I’ll let you guys hash it out now.

As I understand it, most of the certified 'Yahoo' types tend to be local yokkels who charge out when the the local radar shows something close by. I've seen videos of storms near OKC and other midwest cities that show dozens of clearly clueless people out for a casual 'storm chase.' For the most part, these people have never heard of ST or C. Doswell. Further, they would probably tell anyone who suggests: "Maybe you shouldn't do that" to take a flying leap. Doswell's slightly pedantic (does he think he's the only one to have thought about this?) lecture was, IMO, delivered to the wrong crowd.

I suspect the first "Storm Chasers Killed!" headline will revolve around some Bubba who loaded his family in the car and drove headlong into "the suck zone."

While there's always room for mistakes, most people on ST have some idea what they are doing, and have a personal safety threshold that they try not to exceed. If a ST member does die in a storm, I'll put my money on a random lightning bolt as the instrument of destruction.

-Greg

I suspect the first "Storm Chasers Killed!" headline will revolve around some Bubba who loaded his family in the car and drove headlong into "the suck zone."

If a ST member does die in a storm, I'll put my money on a random lightning bolt as the instrument of destruction.

I put my money on lightning as well. I'm shocked, no pun intended, it hasn't happened yet and I bet it will before too long.

I bet it's lightning too. It's amazing no one has been killed by a strike yet, as many chasers that have been struck.

Back