Chase vehicle interior images

On a side note, aren't any of you guys concerned about theft? What do you do to protect all the electronics you have in your car?

I live in 5th largest city in the country, 2 hrs from the Mexican border. My town in the foothills doesn't get it so bad, but down in the Valley the theft is brazen to the point of comical. Theives here operate in rings, and do so even in broad daylight. Security cams and car alarms do nothing.

Therefore, I outfit my SUV with equipment that I can easily set up and tear down. If I park anywhere in the Valley, nothing is showing. When chasing, all the radios & equipment are installed. I have to morph back and forth from chase vehicle mode to nondescript. Big city life I guess. That is okay, it is a bit more trouble but I worked out a little system.

Police dept recommended one device I find useful to help deter car theft in general. It is NOT The Club. It is called steel brake lock that goes over brake pedal. I use it religiously, and no electronics show when my car is parked. If they did, I could set my watch to the potential theft, even in very affluent parts of town.

I have just finished the set-up of our chase vehicule.
It's next to nothing compared to other set-ups that I have seen here :eek:

You have nothing to be ashamed of Gaétan, that's a nice clean setup!

Say, that isn't blood on your floorboard I hope? Maybe you shot somebody trying to take your stuff? :D

Cheers!

I've simplified since I first started chasing in a CR-V. My little ghetto-mobile has a dual-band ham rig, permanently mounted 1/4 wave antenna, and my MacBook just sits in the passenger seat, or in their lap if someone is riding shotgun. I *may* eventually find some way of securing the MacBook, in case of sudden braking, but I doubt it will be a full docking station thingie. Haven't picked up the GPS yet since I discovered my old Magellan unit doesn't do Mac.
I'll post some pics later, but there's nothing much to see - the ham rig is under the dash with just a faceplate showing.

I have plans for my video camera that involves a tripod and bungee cords. We'll see how that works....

Last edited by a moderator:
Laura, from the pictures it looks like your laptop blocks a big part of your view to the right. Is that true or is it just the picture angle?

HAM, laptop, PC card, GPS, GPS PC WAAS enable Sensor, video camera and mount.
Very happy with the set-up. Everything's right within reach.
Now we need a good year!
Laura

Red/Blue lights

Jay,

Your pic shows an earlier model explorer with red/blue lights..... Is it safe to assume you are law enforcement?

shawn

The laptop and camera come out but otherwise it all is hard mounted. I have one advantage most people dont though. Most criminals try their best to avoid law enforecement or any vehicles that have 911 decals like mine. Red/Blue lights work wonders for security :)

truck006.jpg

If my memory is correct, I believe Jay works for an emergency service in Amarillo.

Thats right. I am a member of Amarillo Emergency Service which is part of the DEM for potter/Randall counties which includes the city of Amarillo. As a part of EM we have response jurastiction to anywhere in the state and have mutual aid agreements with NM, Ks, And Oklahoma so I am authorized to use them there also in certain situations even though I rarely have. Only a few times when I have come upon major wrecks and nobody else is there yet anda couple of tornado scenes.

Our unit are all trained and certified 1st responders including 1st aid (most of us are EMT's), extracation, search and rescue, hazmat, WMD's, scene control and command, disaster response, etc..And are all trained spotters for the city.

Back