• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Phil Henry's Storm Chase Pursuit Vehicle

If this was the wrong thread to post this in, please feel free to move it to wherever it is best suited.

I am a Physics major in college, and I am currently working on a group project in my engineering class where, basically, we have to write a proposal for a project that could potentially better society. The idea that I have put forth and that we are currently working on is the tentatively named "Tornado-Proof Vehicle," think similar to a tornado intercept vehicle, but a smaller, mass-produced version of one. Without going into the specifics of the project, I am currently on the section of the paper where I explain the history of tornado intercept vehicles, and how only 9 to 10 of them have been made. When I first joined this forum, I learned about the late storm chaser, Phil Henry, and how in 1993 he built what is said to be the first TIV, a vehicle that he called the Storm Chase Pursuit Vehicle. This was essentially a modified GMC Typhoon fitted with the latest communication equipment, and safety features such as a full roll cage and safety barriers. While I have seen images of a GMC Typhoon on his website - which has since been taken down, and can now only be accessed using a web archive: Phil Henry - Storm Chaser (archive.org) - I do not know if this is the specific vehicle mentioned. It was apparently featured in the May 1994 edition of the Car and Driver magazine; however, I was never able to get my hands on a copy, nor was I able to find an image on the Internet. I was hoping someone here may either have an image of what the vehicle looked like, or could at least provide a detailed description of it. Thank you in advance.

Maybe a small U shape trailer with nail-guns below a package

Drive outā€”-the lead package is left on the shoulder with lightsā€”drive on. A package that drops from the open U of the trailer.

No pick-upā€¦old full frame station wagon to tow it. Roll cage demolition derby set up.

The Toto type package has less surface area than a full vehicle.

Back