CHASE CASE 6

AMAZING PHOTO'S ANDREA, I REALLY LIKE THE FIRST PHOTO. GREAT EXAMPLE OF AN HP MOTHERSHIP MESO.

Thanks a lot, man! Too bad it didn't drop down a wedge in the middle of the fields...Moreover at that time, most of the chasers did go away ready to intercept another supercell coming from the south west, 'cause the main meso (not the one in that picture) was getting "weak" and losing rotation.
The mathership formed later in the evening and gave us a beautiful sight.
Anyway the most perfect show was around 9-10 pm when an incredible meso developed in the darkness, enlightened by lightnings. The inflow wind was super strong and stunning. I remember the WX shear was at the top of the scale and we felt what I call "the tornado hit", that is the sudden slap that the wind gives you when a probable tornado is touching down: it was nearly difficult to stand up cause of the wind. We saw in the distance a black spot under the base but I couldn't see if it was a tornado or not. I remember that someone here on Stmtk sighted a tornado near my position.
I read Mike Hollingshead's report of that day and he was very close to us, maybe he can tell us something.

I did chase this day and the day before in real life (which unfortunately caused me to recognize the date pretty quickly) and saw the Lipscomb, County HP supercell, but none of the tornadoes.

Thanks a lot for putting this together Matt! I really enjoyed looking at the data and trying to compare my thoughts from now to when I was actually chasing. Interestingly enough, I did much better in real life with less data. I was consistently thinking south central Kansas or northwest Oklahoma through most of the chase case updates which would have put me too far east and north to catch the Texas storms. Thanks for sharing those pictures and illustrations Andrea and Greg!

I figured this was May 23, 2007. I chased this day as well. Was not what I was hoping and was a big hassle to chase that cluster of HPs. I got a couple of decent pictures but not what I was hoping for by any stretch! We got back to Salina late that night in a downpour and woke up to the campground we stayed at being flooded with upwards of a foot of standing water in places. Apparently the storms trained over the area through the night. I looked at a radar estimate and the area of Salina where we were at got around 6 inches of rain.

Well, I know I busted up north. I could have possibly gotten the first tornado report, but more than likely I just missed that one. It happens from time to time. Oh well, that'll teach me.

At least it's a short(er) drive home :)

Not too terribly happy with my decision to stop pursuing the stuff in Texas early, but it looks like my skills are getting better. If only I had a state other than Michigan to apply them in ;).

Back