CHASE CASE 6

Storms in Dodge County, MN, and Worth County, IA, don't look too shabby after all. Hard to tell without SRV, but both appear to have some kind of inflow notch. I'm on the MN storm now, looking for rotation; depending on what I see both visually and on SRV, I may drop down to the IA storm to my southwest.

At some time, I would have left the storm around Falls City--probably around Mound City Mo., and headed toward Omaha and home. Now there appears to be some development up there, so I'll grab I-29 north, aiming toward home-ish and maybe I'll get some river-bottom magic!

MAY 23, 2007 STORM REPORTS

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO SCORED. I AM SURE THOSE WHO PLAYED IOWA/MINNESOTA WOULD HAVE HAD A SHOT AT THE TWO REPORTS OUT OF MINN AND WISC. THEN THERE WERE SOME OF YOU THAT GOT THE BIG PLAY IN TEXAS BEFORE THINGS WENT LINEAR. LAST YEAR IT SEEMED WE HAD ALOT OF EVENTS THAT STARTED OUT PROMISING AND QUICKLY WENT LINEAR, MEANING YOU HAD TO BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT INITIATION. PLEASE SHARE PHOTOS AND VIDEO.

jzuo0y.png

2125 2 SE WANAMINGO GOODHUE MN 4428 9276 UNCONFIRMED PUBLIC REPORT OF WEAK TORNADO PICKING UP DUST WHILE CROSSING OPEN FIELD 2 MILES SOUTHEAST OF WANAMINGO. RELAYED BY COUNTY OFFICIALS. (MPX)
2131 21 NW MIAMI ROBERTS TX 3591 10091 (AMA)
2225 4 SW WOLF CREEK PARK OCHILTREE TX 3617 10070 SW OF RT. 281 AND COUNTY ROAD 23 (AMA)
2239 21 SSE PERRYTON OCHILTREE TX 3611 10066 (AMA)
2340 13 WSW LIPSCOMB LIPSCOMB TX 3616 10049 (AMA)
2340 2 W CENTERVIEW EDWARDS KS 3780 9931 BRIEF TORNADO TOUCHDOWN (DDC)
2342 4 S KINSLEY EDWARDS KS 3786 9941 BREIF TORNADO TOUCHDOWN (DDC)
0000 4 SE WOLF CREEK PARK OCHILTREE TX 3617 10060 (AMA)
0022 4 S EAU CLAIRE EAU CLAIRE WI 4476 9149 REPORTED BY RAINFALL OBSERVER C1. TORNADO OCCURRED NEAR CEDAR ROAD AND LOWES CREEK. (MPX)
0039 6 SW DARROUZETT LIPSCOMB TX 3638 10040 (AMA)
0051 1 E SYRACUSE HAMILTON KS 3798 10173 TORNADO ON THE GROUND 1 E OF SYRACUSE (DDC)
0230 23 NW MIAMI ROBERTS TX 3593 10093 MULTIPLE OBSERVERS INCLUDING DOPPLER ON WHEELS SIGHTED TORNADO IN CANYON LANDS WEST OF HWY 70 ABOUT 5 MILES SOUTH OF OCHILTREE COUNTY LINE (AMA)
0320 24 SSE PERRYTON OCHILTREE TX 3607 10064 INTERMITTENT OBSERVATION OF TORNADOES BACKLIT BY LIGHTNING ALONG HWY 281 IN SOUTHERN OCHILTREE CO. BETWEEN HWY 70 AND HWY 83 (AMA)
0343 15 W LIPSCOMB LIPSCOMB TX 3623 10054 (AMA)
0401 1 NW LIPSCOMB LIPSCOMB TX 3624 10028 (AMA)

I was in position for the two brief tornadoes and some good storm structure in southern Kansas. Thanks again Matt for another great case.

I chased this event with Justin. We were all over this storm and never saw a tornado. This storm had an epic wall cloud. We have a b-roll shot of us passing the TIV 1 and the Discovery crew on our highlight dvd trailer.

Here is a drawing of a meso occlusion with the Lipscomb county supercell in the Texas panhandle:

meso_occlusion-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg, those are some beautifully done illustrations.

Matt, thanks for giving us northern chasers the benefit of the doubt, but I busted. What's really annoying is, Bill Oosterbaan and I actually chased in the Darrouzett/Lipscomb area on that date. May or may not have seen a tornado, but for sure enjoyed the structure.

In chase case land, I probably would have missed the tornadoes being out of position a ways. Or it appears I would have had a serious core punch. This would mean a lost windshield in the TX Panhandle...especially on these monsters that day. Ouch

I totally boned this day in real life, not that there really was much to see. Never commit to helping anyone move in May. I was stuck in Amarillo till mid-afternoon so I got a very late jump on the day. Still saw a couple of good wall clouds and managed not to get cored by some nasty hail near Stinnett, TX this day.

I remember this day looked like it was going be a great warm front day, just didnt happen. The storms also tracked over the area with one of the worst road networks in the Panhandle and trained over the same area which led to some really bad flooding. If you look at the 21z satellite here, that new forming cell near Amarillo looked like this from the ground.

The rest of my photos from the can be seen here.

Actually I chased the Lipscomb supercell on may 23th. Amazing HP day but no real tornadoes; we only saw a funnel.
However this time on the virtual chasing, I made the mistake to do a bad calculation of the short wave through trajectory, so I did go too far north. Once I arrived in Sioux City,IA there was no way to go back to TX and that's the reason why it sucked for me this time.
Thank you Matt again for this great chasing cases!!

http://www.thunderstormteam.it/Sito_Thunderstorm_Team/Canadian_files/12.jpg

http://www.thunderstormteam.it/Sito_Thunderstorm_Team/Canadian_files/1.jpg

http://www.thunderstormteam.it/Sito_Thunderstorm_Team/Canadian_files/IMG_2865.JPG.jpg

http://www.thunderstormteam.it/Sito_Thunderstorm_Team/Canadian_files/IMG_2865.JPG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
AMAZING PHOTO'S ANDREA, I REALLY LIKE THE FIRST PHOTO. GREAT EXAMPLE OF AN HP MOTHERSHIP MESO. THE SECOND PIC LOOKS LIKE THE CELL AS IT STARTS OUT LP WITH A NICE CORKSCREW UPDRAFT AND WALL CLOUD. PHOTOS LIKE THIS GET ME FIRED UP TO CHASE FOR REAL:)

I totally boned this day in real life, not that there really was much to see. Never commit to helping anyone move in May. I was stuck in Amarillo till mid-afternoon so I got a very late jump on the day. Still saw a couple of good wall clouds and managed not to get cored by some nasty hail near Stinnett, TX this day.

I remember this day looked like it was going be a great warm front day, just didnt happen. The storms also tracked over the area with one of the worst road networks in the Panhandle and trained over the same area which led to some really bad flooding. If you look at the 21z satellite here, that new forming cell near Amarillo looked like this from the ground.

The rest of my photos from the can be seen here.

GREAT SHOTS OF INITIATION. DEFINATELY SHOWS HOW THE EVENT QUICKLY WENT LINEAR. SOME OF THOSE PHOTOS LOOK DANGEROUSLY CLOSE TO PRODUCING. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CHASING THE TX. PANHANDLE. TO LIVE THERE WOULD BE A DREAM. I COULD BUILD ME A HOUSE RIGHT ON THE EDGE OF THE CAPROCK. THANKS FOR THE PICS

I chased this event with Justin. We were all over this storm and never saw a tornado. This storm had an epic wall cloud. We have a b-roll shot of us passing the TIV 1 and the Discovery crew on our highlight dvd trailer.

Here is a drawing of a meso occlusion with the Lipscomb county supercell in the Texas panhandle:

meso_occlusion-1.jpg

VERY IMPRESSIVE DRAWINGS IF I DO SAY SO. THE REWARD FOR ME ON THESE CASES IS TO GET TO SEE EVERYONES FIRST HAND DESCRIPTIONS AND PHOTOS OF THAT PARTICULAR DAY. I HAVE A FEELING ANOTHER CASE WILL BE COMING SOON. LAST YEAR WE DID LIKE 16 TOTAL CASES

Back