Chase Case #6 (2010 Version)

Not moving from my overnight in Kirksville, MO...although I may head to Ottumwa, Iowa after the next set of data. I'm pretty pleased right now.

It's now 16z; there will be another suite of surface and radar updates at approximately 18z-19z.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
16z Surface Data
National Satellite/Surface Composite
Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN Regional (MSP)
Wichita, KS Regional (ICT)
Evansville, IN Regional (EVV)

16z Upper Air Data
300 mb UA obs
500 mb UA obs
700 mb UA obs
850 mb UA obs

16z Radar Data
National Radar Composite
Northern Plains Composite
Central Plains Composite
Central Mississippi Composite

16z Visible Satellite Imagery
National Satellite Imagery
Evansville, IN Regional Composite (EVV)
Pierre, SD Regional Composite (PIR)
Wichita, KS Regional Composite (ICT)

MDs

SPC MCD
1042 AM CDT
AREAS AFFECTED...WRN TN/NW MS/ERN AR/SE MO/WRN KY
CONCERNING...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL

WW IS NOT ANTICIPATED IN SHORT TERM...BUT TRENDS ARE BEING
MONITORED.

SPC MCD
1134 AM CDT
AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF CENTRAL INTO SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH CENTRAL MISSOURI

CONCERNING...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL

A TORNADO WATCH WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED BY AROUND 18Z...OR SHORTLY THEREAFTER.

Just hit Davenport..... still heading W on I 80... will be in Centerville, IA by 1745-18z just in time for next round of data.

Playing catchup here. I have decided to make my move down 55 towards Springfield, IL where I should arrive by 19z and may head west from there. A nice clearing on the vis sat and Iowa is still socked in clouds. My guess is that cold front will make a quick push eastward as this appears to be an early season system where said cold front will be the main focal point for storms.

Hmmm...low is centered in extreme SE Nebraska and is translating almost straight east--doesn't seem to have much of a northerly component to it right now. Clearing is moving through northwest MO, and I'll bet a fair portion of SW and S-central Iowa shows clearing in a while. But I'm not so confident that the WF will make it very far north into Iowa. Time to make a move. I'm dropping down US 65 a ways to Humeston, IA, where I'll wait for the next update.

I don't think I'm far enough south. Heading to Hamilton, IL, right across the River from Keokuk, IA. This gives me great options in all directions including back west across the river if I need to go that way.

Yuup, that low has stopped moving N for the moment. Time for me to head S out of Ames back down to MO. I can get to Bethany, MO by 18z...

Time to shift SE, leaving Grimes heading to Centerville, IA to wait for the next set of data. Should be there at approximately 18z.

Wanted to head north to St. Joe to be closer to the surface low, but noticed that flow was already veering a bit at the surface near Chillicothe. Don''t think WF will progress much further north and will straddle IA/MO state line. Want to be out ahead of point where veering sfc flow interacts with the WF. Will head NE to Bethany, MO and be there for next round of data. Thinking I will probably head east from there after looking at data. We'll see :)

Back