Chase Case #6 (2010 Version)

Little behind here, so let me catch up.

Night before: Overnighting in Omaha, Nebraska.

12Z update: Going to get things going and head to Decatur City, Iowa. Will easily be in place by 17 or 18Z, whenever the next update is for.

Making the morning drive from Wichita to bug my buddy Corey Sloan in Cameron, MO. From here we'll probably grab some grub and discuss our next move.

And the bifurcation of targets begins. What to choose: north or south? This case is remarkably similar to chase case #5. Concerned about the backing of winds at and above 700 mb over KS (same as chase case #5). My brain is missing the pattern recognition that tells me what to do when seeing that. My forecast was wrong the last time I saw this setup. I'll pick the north this time. I'm going to leave Ames and head east on I-80, then south on U.S. 218 towards Mt. Pleasant, IA where I'll await data at a later time.

Had a little fun marking up the surface map which for once (for me) agreed well with the synoptic diagram on the 12Z composite. 12Z to 13Z satellite shows cirrus clearing rapidly eastward at the IA/MO border north of the advancing warm front. Looks like this area will be in line with the surface low as it propagates east-northeast. Surface and 925 mb moisture is currently in place through much of MO and east KS and advecting north/north-northeast on a 35+ kt LLJ.

I want to position a bit further southeast, hopefully in better position for the advancing moisture and anticipated triple point. I'll be joining Jeff in Mt. Pleasant, IA by 16Z (and wondering if the River Dance will be required today).

Surface Markup

Last edited by a moderator:
Back