Chase Case #6 (2010 Version)

Been chasing here around home, Greensburg KS today so for the evening I will roll over to Lebanon MO for the night and stay with a buddy and be ready to roll first thing.

Given the movement of this system, I'd be staying home in Ames, IA for the night, waiting to see 12Z data before making my first move. For all I know, IA is well in the mix (unless, of course, this is a 2009 or 2010 case).

I picked a hotel on I-55 at West Memphis, with the option of heading up towards St. Louis. I'm assuming I'm wrong now, based on everyone's targets, but it looked to me like things were going to make it further east. May have to drive all day tomorrow.

I'm going to crash at my aunt and uncle's place in Lincoln, NE for the evening, which gives me plenty of options in any direction. To quote George Burns, 'Good night, and good luck.'

Guten Morgen virtual chasers!

Let us know where you're targeting today, after reviewing the morning suite of data. It's now 13z; there will be another suite of surface and radar updates at approximately 16z.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
SPC 13z SWODY1 Summary

THERE IS A MDT RISK OF SVR TSTMS TODAY AND TONIGHT[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
MCS CONTINUES TO LIFT ACROSS THE MS RIVER VALLEY...LATER TODAY DEEP ASCENT AND CONVERGENCE ALONG SFC TROUGH SHOULD INCREASE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FROM WEST TO EAST....GIVEN EXPECTED MLCAPE...FCST SKEW-T PROFILES CONTINUE TO INDICATE A VERY FAVORABLE SUPERCELL ENVIRONMENT....A FEW LONG-LIVED SUPERCELLS AND BOW ECHOES EXPECTED TO EVOLVE THROUGH LATE AFTERNOON....TORNADOES WILL ALSO REMAIN POSSIBLE AND WIND DAMAGE THREAT MAY BECOME ENHANCED AS STORMS SHIFT EWD AT 40-50 KT AND MERGE INTO BOW ECHOES/LINES THROUGH EARLY EVENING.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

12z Surface Data

National Satellite/Surface Composite
Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN Regional (MSP)
Wichita, KS Regional (ICT)
Evansville, IN Regional (EVV)

12z Upper Air Data
250 mb UA obs
300 mb UA obs
500 mb UA obs
700 mb UA obs
850 mb UA obs
925 mb UA obs

12z Rawinsonde Data
Davenport, IA (DVN)
Lamont, OK (LMN)
Lincoln, IL (ILX)
Little Rock, AR (LZK)
Minneapolis, MN (MPX)
Nashville, TN (BNA)
Omaha, NE (OAX)
Springfield, MO (SGF)
Topeka, KS (TOP)

12z Radar Data

National Radar Composite
Northern Plains Composite
Central Plains Composite
Central Mississippi Composite
Upper Mississippi Composite

13z Visible Satellite Imagery
National Satellite Imagery
Evansville, IN Regional Composite (EVV)
Pierre, SD Regional Composite (PIR)
Wichita, KS Regional Composite (ICT)

I'm going to drift E out of Omaha and slightly N to Ames, IA. The low has moved N as anticipated and I like seeing moisture starting to advect in that direction. Winds are starting to back in the E. Should be an interesting day. Get on those cells early before they congeal into a mess later...

Back