Chase Case #5

I like central Illinois. There is not much instability but I think there is going to more low level cape that will be hard to detect. I like the backing winds along the warmfront also. With great low level shear I feal like this low cape enviroment will be more tornado productive that some might think. Target is peoria, Illinois.

I don't like all of the clouds and rain in Illinois, and I usually don't like chasing when a warm front is involved. However, there seems to be a little clearing in southern Illinois and temps have warmed up into the lower 70s. I will watch the warm front and start in Litchfield, Illinois. :?:

It would be helpful if folks would pick older or at least less significant events, or better yet - some bust events.

I have a couple that fit the bill that I'm just ITCHING to do ... unknown, long-forgotten, impossible to track events. I can't wait to do them, but will hold off since work is SWAMPING me silly at this point.

Based on just the 12Z I'll go with Bethany, MO

If additional data is given I may adjust.

I agree with the warm front area. Winds are veered a bit south of the warm front (MO and southwestward). The strong wave on the 700mb plot at 12z across the plains will progress eastward, leaving much of OK and KS in subsidence. Things don't look too terrible down there, and the surface flow is backed a bit (PNC is 70/61 with a slightly-east-of-south wind). There does appear to be plenty of stratus around, however, so I'm not too hot on instability prospects. With decent mid-upper level flow, and with the low-level winds remaining OK, I do think there is a thread down in southeastern KS, eastern OK, and maybe just into southwestern MO. Flow behind the wave (at 700mb) is poor, which, with the likely veer low-level flow, leaving me looking elsewhere.

The clouds and precip along and north of the warm front across northeastern MO and point east and north is disturbing, and certainly not good for the development of strong surface-based instability. Dewpoints are pretty nice, however, immediately along the warm front in IL and IN. In addition, IR shows cloud tops to be relatively warm in central IL, where reflectivities are still pretty high. So, I'd say that the mess over IL is likely weakening... In addition, sfc obs indicate some breaks in the clouds over eastern MO and central IL. The 500mb isn't very good here, however, and lapse rates on 12z soundings are nearly moist-adiabatic (not good). 500mb temps upstream aren't any cooler, so I'm not sure if the lapse rates will steepen much, except perhaps through large-scale upward motion ahead of the trough. So, since I'm looking for tornadoes, I'd either go with the slightly more backed flow near Ponca City, OK, or, more probable, near the warm front, where the 68/65 with SE wind ob in extreme west-central IN is calling my name (or the 66/63 with mostly cldy skies in central IL).

So, since I'm looking for tornadoes, I'd either go with the slightly more backed flow near Ponca City, OK, or, more probable, near the warm front, where the 68/65 with SE wind ob in extreme west-central IN is calling my name (or the 66/63 with mostly cldy skies in central IL).

My chase partner and I chased east of PNC this day. It wasn't until later that night when we found out what unfolded elsewhere... It didn't take but 10 seconds to recognize this day from just the H7 map. I'll give a dollar to the first person who can post a chase case that no one recognizes, which will be much more stimulating for the group... like a "one tornado" day, or maybe a bigger event back in the 80s or earlier. Unfortunately, archived data back into the 50s to early-mid 90s isn't exactly readily available for everyone :(

I'll give a dollar to the first person who can post a chase case that no one recognizes, which will be much more stimulating for the group... like a "one tornado" day, or maybe a bigger event back in the 80s or earlier.

... Or an event that didn't occur in the Plains. That would REALLY test some forecast skills.

Anyway, I'm not going to participate in this case since I already know the day, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

00z Data

00z.gif

front.gif

300mb
500mb
700mb
850mb

Soundings
Davenport
Springfield
Omaha
Lincoln

931047364740 divide by 8765 subtract 86869897 and subtract 15151415 from that and you have the answer. So don't do the math if you don't want the answer! Will this route work?

I soooo need a life.

Ok, just a warning, this is going to be a spoiler! (ducks behind computer chair in anticipation of non-tornadic debris being hurled at me by other ST members) :lol:
April 21, 2004; the infamous central Illinois warm front outbreak which no one(chasers, local meterologists, SPC) saw coming.
Now if a situation like that ever comes up again, with an east/west oriented warm front lifting northward ahead of two low pressure systems, I'll know to get into north of the advancing warm front and wait for the show to start.

Back