Catagory Seven and The Day After Tomorrow

Pardon me if I missed someone, but I think Bill Hamilton gets the award for being the first STer to spell "Category" correctly. Oh yeah, and that movie sucked...but I get the feeling I'll be watching the next installment on Sunday. -:

BC

Originally posted by Ben Cotton
Pardon me if I missed someone, but I think Bill Hamilton gets the award for being the first STer to spell \"Category\" correctly.

In this thread, there has (essentially) only been one misspelling of category. Actually, Jeff Snyder was the first to spell it correctly in this thread. But, that's not that big of a deal considering there were only three instances of the word "category" (in whatever form it took) prior to your post. :p Stupid English spelling...thank goodness for a photographic memory!

Dick, is that an actual screen capture from the movie, or did just make that one up?

Gabe

Actual capture, Gabe. Noticed stuff from several folks in it. Did anybody get paid for having their stuff in it, ya think?
The storm surge in NY was directly , um, "borrowed" from TDAT. I liked that version much better.
Angie

Originally posted by Angie Norris
Actual capture, Gabe. Noticed stuff from several folks in it. Did anybody get paid for having their stuff in it, ya think?
The storm surge in NY was directly , um, \"borrowed\" from TDAT. I liked that version much better.

Mike, it looks like you stand to make a boatload of money if you can get a good lawyer. I know you don't want to mess with this stuff, but free chasing for the rest of your life is just a lawsuit away. :p

Gabe

Originally posted by Ben Cotton
Pardon me if I missed someone, but I think Bill Hamilton gets the award for being the first STer to spell \"Category\" correctly.

LOL! I didn't notice the other thread in the Bar & Grill...eesh. :p

Gabe

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
Originally posted by Chris Sokol@
<!--QuoteBegin-Jeff Snyder

I will disagree with you on the \"global warming myth\". Measurements handily indicate a near exponential rise in green house gases in the past 100 years. So I guess the argument revolves around whether or not this massive increase in CO2 and other gases can disrupt the global radiative balance and cause a change in global average surface temperature.

I have to disagree with this in return. We have not been keeping records for a long enough period of to to be able to determine if this is a man-made effect, a natural occurance, or even a normal cycle. Unfortunately, it will take thousands of years of records to probably determine the truth.
From http://www.ipcc.ch/present/graphics.htm:

02.01.jpg

05.16.jpg

Yes, there is proxy data used for the older times (ice core samples, tree ring samples, coral samples, etc), but it's all we have right now. There ARE, certainly, natural cycles, and I'm not arguing that. The general trend, however, is a large increase in temperature over the past 100+ years. Again, there will be some natural variation (e.g. the little dip in the middle part of the 20th century), but the overall trend is for rapid increases in average global temperature.[/b]

This also could be part of the problem.
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sun_...put_030320.html

Something I have noticed is that the CBS guys really have a fetish for using long, skinny tornadoes to wreak all the havoc. Come on, CBS, only rarely do skinny tornadoes cause intense damage (the Tracy, Minnesota tornado of 1968 being a rare exception). In Category 6 they had a rope tornado that looked like it had just hit a Weight Watchers warehouse and ingested all the goods within tearing apart the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.
Very aggravating. The only reason I watch movies like this is to see the tornadoes, which actually pretty realistic as far as low budget major network mini-series special effects go. The bad science, cheesy plot with at least four different sub-plots, and tasteless love scenes are so stereotypical of these type of made-for-tv movies. Sigh... :(
Also, did anyone else notice that as the "Category 6" was moving over New York the sky shot over the skyline looked very similar to the skyline shot of Los Angeles in TDAT? It was too similar to have not been stolen, along with the tidal surge, from that much much better movie. Also, did anybody notice that when the surge came in, it smashed the Statue of Liberty, but then a minute later it was convieniently standing again so the "Category 6" could blow her arm and torch across several miles of water right at Randy Quaid?
How cliche and trite.
If I ever come into some real money I am going to write, direct and supervise the special effects of a realistic weather movie with no cliche sub-plots, just a straightforward plot using real weather terms and real science, ass kicking true to life special effects ( no more tornadoes descending from flat, non rotating cloud bases!) and NOT use the word "category" in the title. :twisted:

If I ever come into some real money I am going to write, direct and supervise the special effects of a realistic weather movie with no cliche sub-plots, just a straightforward plot using real weather terms and real science, ass kicking true to life special effects ( no more tornadoes descending from flat, non rotating cloud bases!) and NOT use the word \"category\" in the title. Twisted Evil

And congrads, you would of made the most boring weather movie ever ;)

Seriously... I absolutely LOVE these movies. The more over the top, the better. Tornado Tommy cracks me up... time after time again ;)

PAx had a great series of extreme event movies a year or two back... good stuff!

Aaron

Oh, it WOULDN'T be boring, Aaron... just because it would be realistic wouldn't mean that it would all work and no play. Think of the dynamic storm chasing community, made up of hundreds of unique, quirky personalities, that we have here in the Alley put in the spotlight.
It would be over the top, trust me... :twisted: but believabley so. I think even the most weather ignorant viewer gets tired of the trite cliches the majority of these disaster movies feature, as well as the obvious throwing out the window of basic physics. :roll:
I agree with you on the PAX movies. "Lightning: Fire from the Sky" had a truly original plot, great cast, was 95% believeable and presented a fascinating concept of twi highly electrical storm systems being attracted to a town built on top of a major iron ore deposit and culminating in a violent electrical storm which almost fried the state of Missouri. Even my disaster movie hating dad, who constantly trounces them for their cliches, subplots etc liked it. :shock:

I have a Canon XL1S, you write the story and I'll shoot and edit it :D

Back