Catagory Seven and The Day After Tomorrow

I have seen the previews for this "Catagory Seven" movie. It just seems to be just a cheap knockoff of The Day After Tomorrow. I have seen TDAT movie and I was not impressed at all. Correct me if I am wrong but is it not based of the book The Coming of the Global Superstorm written by Art Bell and Whitley Strieber. I very much respect Art Bell and I am a fan of Coast-To-Coast AM radio show.

In my opinion the precepts of these movies are that this is what is going to happen if man kind keep on contributing to the Global Warming myth. I read some research that stated that the amount on insolation from the Sun has increased over the last 40 years. So much has it increased that the atmosphere of Mars is warming due the the effects of increased insolation from the Sun.

Last I checked there was no evil polluting industries and SUV's on Mars. I just feel that movies like this are based off alot of bad science and not alot of real rock hard information. I have done in my Navy career about a hundred or so upper-air soundings and the closest I got to the -170 or so degrees F below zero air that was stated in TDAT movie that was being advected downward from these superstorms was about -80 degrees F below zero at about the 200mb level.

They need to get some real information out about the environment instead of all of the environmental wacko rhetoric

Originally posted by Joshua T. Clark

In my opinion the precepts of these movies are that this is what is going to happen if man kind keep on contributing to the Global Warming myth.

They need to get some real information out about the environment instead of all of the environmental wacko rhetoric

I'll agree with the latter part, but, in the end, "Category Seven" is a movie, and is meant to entertain, not teach. Much of "The Day After Tomorrow" made me shiver, and I'm sure we can all nitpick "Twister" to death.

I will disagree with you on the "global warming myth". Measurements handily indicate a near exponential rise in green house gases in the past 100 years. So I guess the argument revolves around whether or not this massive increase in CO2 and other gases can disrupt the global radiative balance and cause a change in global average surface temperature. This whole global warming debate reminds me of a Republican vs. Democrat debate, in that folks seem to have their opinion set, and, not matter what arguments are made, few will change their opinion. Some folks say the IPCC was bad science, but some folks would try to discredit any sort of scientific study whose conclusion supports the idea that humans are contributing to global warming. Do I think there are natural causes for a rise in temperature? Sure, that seems quite possible to me. But I certainly do think that human activities are contributing to the extremely rapid rise in global average surface temperature over the past 100 years that we have seen.

I will disagree with you on the "global warming myth". Measurements handily indicate a near exponential rise in green house gases in the past 100 years. So I guess the argument revolves around whether or not this massive increase in CO2 and other gases can disrupt the global radiative balance and cause a change in global average surface temperature.

I have to disagree with this in return. We have not been keeping records for a long enough period of to to be able to determine if this is a man-made effect, a natural occurance, or even a normal cycle. Unfortunately, it will take thousands of years of records to probably determine the truth.

I will disagree with you on the "global warming myth". Measurements handily indicate a near exponential rise in green house gases in the past 100 years. So I guess the argument revolves around whether or not this massive increase in CO2 and other gases can disrupt the global radiative balance and cause a change in global average surface temperature.

I have to disagree with this in return. We have not been keeping records for a long enough period of to to be able to determine if this is a man-made effect, a natural occurance, or even a normal cycle. Unfortunately, it will take thousands of years of records to probably determine the truth.
From http://www.ipcc.ch/present/graphics.htm:

02.01.jpg

05.16.jpg

Yes, there is proxy data used for the older times (ice core samples, tree ring samples, coral samples, etc), but it's all we have right now. There ARE, certainly, natural cycles, and I'm not arguing that. The general trend, however, is a large increase in temperature over the past 100+ years. Again, there will be some natural variation (e.g. the little dip in the middle part of the 20th century), but the overall trend is for rapid increases in average global temperature.

I have to agree with this... As the IPCC data even shows, there was a significant warmup between 1920-1960-ish timeframe, with an "ice age" (global cooling) from the 1960-1980-ish period, then again back towards a warming trend...

Earth has been around billions of years, and I assume it will be around billions more with or without humans.

Where's Andrew when you need his citations ;> ?

I'm going to guess this thread will take the same twists and turns that our bi-monthly global warming debate always does - so how about something new for a change?!?

I'd like to just get back to making fun of this movie. Remember, its a movie not a documentary.

Did anyone notice that Randy Quaid is starring in this flick? Wasn't he in the CBS tornado movie as well?

I'd like to just get back to making fun of this movie. Remember, its a movie not a documentary.

Did anyone notice that Randy Quaid is starring in this flick? Wasn't he in the CBS tornado movie as well?

Yeah, he was... You'll often notice in these types of crappy TV movies they'll use B-movie actors to play in roles. That's pretty much all they can afford, and those are the actors that would bother to even accept roles in these types of films.

Yeah, he was... You'll often notice in these types of crappy TV movies they'll use B-movie actors to play in roles. That's pretty much all they can afford, and those are the actors that would bother to even accept roles in these types of films.

Hey! Randy Quaid is Uncle Eddie in the National Lampoon movies! CaddyShack 2 he was great too. Sorry off topic.

I totally agree with rdale.

Yeah, Randy Quaid put on a stellar performance in Christmas Vacation, possible his best picture. Don't forget Independence Day.

Originally posted by B Ozanne

It was "Category 6: Day of Destruction" where he played Tornado Tommy as well. At least his character lived on to make another crappy movie.
I had to look it up, it was too lame of a movie to remember.

Back