Canon telephoto zooms and IS

• Thread starter Mike Hollingshead
  • Start date
I own the 70-200mm f/4L NON IS. I would love to have the IS but at the time of purchase I had a certain budget. As far as picture quality goes, it is absolutely tack sharp. Even at f/4. I have been so impressed with the IQ that I generally find a way to use this lens whenever possible. Even if it means I am standing 50 feet away from what I am shooting. I can definitely see situations where I am 2 or 3 stops away from where I would like to be and IS would serve its purpose. However, those occasions are surprisingly rare for my style of photography. If it was in my budget, though, I would have bought the IS.

I compare buying a lens to buying a new truck. The NON IS is a 4x2 and the IS is a 4x4 (or 2.8 vs 4.0). Chances are you will only need the 4x4 once or twice a year (depending on where you live). The 4x4 is $2,000 more. Do your pull the trigger on the 4x4? The point is that you buy the 4x4 because that one time you need it, you are grateful as hell to have it.

If it is in your budget I say buy the 2.8 IS. I would hate to miss a once in a lifetime shot because my lens was too slow when I could have paid more and not had to worry about it anymore.

In the end I don't believe you can go wrong with ANY of the 70-200L series lens'.

To throw another lens out there - something a little more inexpensive, the Canon EOS 100-300mm F/5.6L bears looking at. You can find it (if you can - it is an OLD lens) it runs for about 300$. Not too bad. Drawback: it is slow. 5.6 throughout. And the focusing motor is slow. But for $300... not too bad for an L lens.

Don't confuse this lens with the non L version, it has different inferior optics.

Just a suggestion, this is an old lens that can be hard to find, but for the price....

Well I went with the 100-400 L IS. I finally decided 200mm was not going to be enough reach and decided from there. I quickly realized that most anything at 400mm is slow(F5.6). The 400L prime is 5.6. The only way to get a faster 400 was to spend over $5000 for the F4 or $6500 for the F2.8(screw that). So, speed sort of went out the window quickly. Then I compared the prime and the zoom on the-digital-picture.com and at 400mm wide open the zoom actually had an edge in sharpness(go figure). What made me think the 100-400mm L was horrible was the review on luminous landscape comaparing it to the 400mm prime. Then I saw the side by sides on the-digital-picture.com and changed my mind. I have no idea how he got the 100-400 to look that crappy next to the 400 on luminous.

So I get it today and WOW. Not WOW for quality yet, as I haven't looked at the images on a computer yet....but wow for freaking heavy! I've never had a lens like this. I knew it'd be heavy when I saw it was 3lbs and then looked to see that the 17-40L I have is 17 oz(about a lb). I was like, yikes, like three of those on there! It was heavier than I even thought. I bring it out to my parent's and attach it to my camera for the first time. While I'm locking it in, I look up and the deer have shown up outside...how fitting. It was quickly clear how much the IS can indeed help. I didn't have a clue what I was doing with it yet and if that was set and done right, but you could see it working. It sure didn't take long for it to get so heavy I didn't want to be holding it up anymore. That'll change the more I use it I guess. I always laughed when I'd hear comments about not wanting to lug this or that lens around(short of those huge ones anyway). Not anymore. Not so much the lugging around as it is the holding it up in the air.

I did some test shots with IS off, at 400mm to check out the sharpness. I wanted to see if it was soft open at 5.6 like some say. It didn't appear tack sharp, but things seldom do viewed full size(with any small amount of sharpening applied...to be expected...it would be very sharp). The thing that mattered was it was no less sharp at 5.6 than it was at anything through F11. F10 and F11 actually seemed a bit softer but I suspect camera shake since the shutter was then down to 1/30 and 1/20 of a second and I fired them off real quick.

I then took it over to the national wild life refuge to try it out. It wasn't a good day over there since not everywhere is open for spring yet. But I did get a couple of a young deer....sort of. He was looking and my window made a bit of noise, so I only had a second or two to take the shot. I never noticed till just now what my shutter was. I was shooting the guy at 400mm and the shutter was 1/40! Without the IS on, this shot would have surely been TOAST. When you are out there at 400mm(640mm equivelent!) believe me, the lens moves all over the place if you are trying to handhold it. The shot I got is obviously not tack sharp, but it does appear very useable from what I can tell zooming in on the LCD. I can't believe it looks that good at 1/40. And from what I understand this is a bit older IS since this model is older now. I'll try and post some examples later if anyone cares and was wondering about this lens. It seems a fairly obvious choice if one wants out there to 400mm and doesn't have $5000+ to blow on the fast primes. Oh yeah and the push pull thing never seemed troubling at all. Of course this is my first real zoom, my 17-40L is at 17mm 99% of the time, and I was mostly always at 400mm with this one. But leaving your hand on the focus ring and push or pulling the zoom didn't seem all that unnatural.

It's funny what the case smells like that comes with these. It smells exactly like a new car. I guess that is appropriate as it feels like you buy a car when you take the L step on a zoom or big telephoto.

I'm glad that code for bh doesn't appear to be working, since I just saw that again after I ordered and recieved this.

Oh yeah, the Sigma Bigma(50-500mm). Here is a comparison between this one and the bigma at 400mm F5.6....HERE The sigma looks like CRAP on there. HERE is the canon 100-400L vs the canon 400L prime at 400mm F5.6. You can see the zoom has a slight edge in sharpness. Sure it costs a bit more, but you also get the 100-400 range.

Fairly impressed so far.

White lenses are cooler. :)

Just saw this thread now. I have the 70-200 2.8 non IS. Doing weddings, I could have afforded the IS but reviews I saw said the IS doesnt have quite as sharp of a picture. My low light shooting almost always has a tri / mono pod associated with it so I decided to go against the IS. It is my main concert and wedding lens now. Oh, and I LOVE it. Worth every penny.

Doug Raflik

White lenses are cooler. :)

Just saw this thread now. I have the 70-200 2.8 non IS. Doing weddings, I could have afforded the IS but reviews I saw said the IS doesnt have quite as sharp of a picture. My low light shooting almost always has a tri / mono pod associated with it so I decided to go against the IS. It is my main concert and wedding lens now. Oh, and I LOVE it. Worth every penny.

Doug Raflik

When I was thinking of going 70-200 I was thinking of going the same exact route, figuring it'd about be like the F4 with IS as far as holding anyway, since you'd be a bit faster at 2.8(no not 3-4 stops I know). I think the only problem with IS is when you have it on and are mounted. With it off I wouldn't think it'd be any different than the non IS version. Just shooting around with this at 400mm I sure as hell wouldn't want to be doing many of the settings without IS on.

I'm a Nikon guy, so I can't comments on the lenses themselves, but one thing to remember, the slower the lens, the less teleconverter options you will have. For teleconverters to work well, a 2x needs a f/2.8 lens, and a 1.4x needs a f/4 lens. Personally I have a 80-200mm f/2.8 and love it.

Just got a canon rebel XT to shoot weather, storms, nature, astronomy . I looked into the telephotos . (my minotla digital broke). I have been eyeing the canon for sometime because of the cmos chip and ability to switch lenses.
The 70-200mm canon did not get as good a ratings . I looked into a bought a tamron 28-200 mm that had good reviews. I am happy with it and the telephoto.
The only thing I don't like I about canon set ups is that it is more difficult to see all the setting all at once . Any comments about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 70-200 didn't get as good as ratings as what? Not sure what you are comparing it to, but it's one of Canon's sharpest zooms.

I'll be happy to comment on the settings question, but I'm still not clear on what you are wanting to see 'all at once'. You mean settings beyond aperture / shutter / ISO ?

Scott

With the XT if I remember right when I used it only showed shutter speed and aperture on the small screen it had among other settings such as what size of file and type you are shooting, etc... With the new XTi it has the whole LCD that is full of the settings, ISO, shutter, aperture, file size & type, mode, exposure balance, etc...

Is that the concern you have Eric? Or am I way off...

The best value in quality, focus speed etc.. in this range is the Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon IS only helps if your subject is not in motion. But the sigma has the HSM focusing motor which makes it every bit as fast as the Canon L glass. But with that said most of the images I have sold to publishers has been shot on cheap after market lenses like a Tamron 28-200 which I use to shoot years ago, ot a vivitar 19-35mm I owned a long time ago as well. I have not run across a photo buyer yet that ask me which lense I was using on a picture they were buying.

Hank

70-200 raating

I targeted the 28-200mm Tamron and looked the canon etc.
I looked at the reports for the canon, tamron, soligar and a couple of other telephoto reviews from the photography journals and magazines on their website .
The reports for soligar were not good at all for sharpness etc . Canon was so so but tamron review was pretty good.
Canon did not seem that bad . I used Tamron with my minolta SRT film camera and so Tamron is one that I feel is not bad.
I got this tamron at a very good price far better then a canon and I really like it so far for storms, nature, people photography and more.
I am happy with my rebel XT and this telephoto.
Please feel free to comment on your choice etc. :)
Dr.Eric

:::
The 70-200 didn't get as good as ratings as what? Not sure what you are comparing it to, but it's one of Canon's sharpest zooms.

I'll be happy to comment on the settings question, but I'm still not clear on what you are wanting to see 'all at once'. You mean settings beyond aperture / shutter / ISO ?

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah Jayson that's it

I can't believe I never saw the information about the lack of the whole screen info for the XT. It really sucks but now that I have the XT I will have to work around it. I could not see buying extra $$$ for the XTi but that full screen and data is sorely missed. I can't believe canon made it that way.

You are right . Thanks for the info
eric
With the XT if I remember right when I used it only showed shutter speed and aperture on the small screen it had among other settings such as what size of file and type you are shooting, etc... With the new XTi it has the whole LCD that is full of the settings, ISO, shutter, aperture, file size & type, mode, exposure balance, etc...

Is that the concern you have Eric? Or am I way off...

Back