• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Using Fix-a-Flat and similar products

Fix-a-Flat used to be a staple of chaser gear, especially during hurricane chases. I used it on two tires during my Hurricane Rita chase in 2005, and Firestone had no problem patching and balancing them. A few years ago, I used it when my tire went flat at home overnight and was leaking rapidly. That was easier than taking a ton of gear out of my car to get to the spare. When I got to Firestone, they refused to patch the tire because I'd used Fix-a-Flat. None of the other shops in the area would, either. They said it ruins the tire.

Firestone themselves patched my tires after using Fix-a-Flat in 2005. What has changed? Has anyone else had this happen? Did the formula for Fix-a-Flat change? Are tire shops using this as an excuse to get you to buy a new set of tires? I know it does take more time for them to clean all of it out (including the TPMS sensors), which is understandable I guess. I now keep a patching kit on me, but haven't had to use it yet.

Just a word of caution if you still have Fix-a-Flat or similar as part of your gear. It's still being sold everywhere, but it apparently might result in you not being able to get the tire professionally patched and balanced when on the road.

I don't know if the formula has changed, but I've always been told using it is a one and done deal, and to only use it if absolutely necessary. I think you're probably right in that it's more lucrative for them to force you to buy another tire though. I also wonder if there is a liability issue, because if the tire isn't cleaned 100%, and it gets rebalanced, then a small leftover piece breaks free, it could cause worse balancing issues. I've always carried plugs, so I've never had to use it, so I'd be interested to hear others experience in doing so.

I still carry it, but have not used it for years. Years ago, I was stuck along I-40 east of AMA with a flat and a tornado approaching. The can I had did not work, as the inflation tip was damaged. I now carry two cans and a flat repair kit that includes a big can of rubber cement and plugs. I also carry a good, portable compressor and an external jack, along with a hard plastic base for keeping the jack from sinking in mud. I always check the spare before setting out and monitor tire pressure readings on the dashboard while chasing. Every morning I look over the tires for nails. I suppose it's the pilot in me. I also have LED strobe warning lights instead of flares. I also carry a tow strap, that I have used twice over the years to pull vehicles out of ditches as trouble approached.

I suggest chasers change a tire for practice, as you don't want any surprises in an emergency, or find out you are missing a tool, jack or don't know where the lifting points are on your vehicle.

Warren, agreed. A good jack can work wonders and make changing a flat take 15 minutes instead of 40 with the flimsy little stock jacks in most vehicles that take 250 turns on that awkward extender bar to lift the car 6 inches. Even a cheap 30-dollar floor jack is leagues better.

I haven't used Fix-a-Flat in years, but I know tire guys hate to deal with it and I've heard it can cause long term damage to the tire although I don't believe there is much evidence of it. I bought a portable air compressor in the off season because I got two flat tires while I was helping with the Matador tornado S&R just after it hit town last year. I had holes in two tires which were down to 13psi and no way to fill them since the stations in town that had air were both hit. Thankfully the local tire guy came into town late that night and overfilled my tires so I could hopefully get to Childress. Barely made it, and after staying the night in a local motel I woke up the next morning with one tire completely flat and the other with hardly any air, but luckily the tire shop was a mile down the road so after changing the flat I was able to get down there and they helped me out.

Bought the air compressor so I could avoid being in that situation again which was incredibly stressful because I had no food with me, no water and no way out of town had they not helped me.

The nozzle got stuck on the stem with me.

Don’t trust mechanics.

I say “bleed the brakes”
-but they hear “new master cylinder.”

Never let anyone drain the transmission.
The real reason they don’t like folks in the garage—-is so you don’t see them put shavings in it.

Have I got some stories.

I am always paranoid about flat tires when chasing. A flat tire in the middle of nowhere when you might not even have a cell signal to call anyone is a disturbing proposition. I’m a chase vacationer so I rent and can’t have all the equipment that Warren mentions. I never brought Fix-a-Flat with me, but this year I may pick some up once I’m out there. What is a rental company likely to do if you use Fix-a-Flat on one of its tires??

When I rent, I check the tread on all the tires, and I check the tire pressure (made easier by all the newer cars having TPMS pressure sensors) and I don’t hesitate to demand a different vehicle if I don’t like what I see. In fact that just happened with my eclipse chase rental - three tires were at 38 psi and one was at 33. I wasn’t taking any chances that there was a slow leak so I switched it, although I had to wait 45 minutes to do so.

Fortunately, in all my years of chasing, I only got one flat. Incredibly, it happened right down the road from a a service station! It was in Flagler, CO. We had to stop chasing, but the HP hailer came right over the place so we at least got to experience that. 😃 One other time a tire was leaking and we limped into Wichita to swap out the car.

One thing I know is, if I had a flat and a tornado was bearing down on me, I’ll ride the rim to get out of there if I have to, and worry about the consequences later! Of course, I wouldn’t be able to explain to the rental car company exactly what happened… 😏

Back