Canon EOS Rebel vs. D20

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead
The two L lenses 16-35mm and 17-40mm are really tempting. I've read some crazy reviews on the 16-35 lens and it sounds like GOLD. Too bad it's priced like gold at $1300 or so. If you do get a prime I'd consider a 20mm, unless their good 20mm has issues or something.

Mike

Hey Mike and everyone...

I plan on getting the 20D within the next few months, but wanted to mention that *one* of the reasons I decided to go with the 20D over the 300D was because the rebel only took ef and ef-s lenses, while the 20D could take L series lenses. Isn' this the case? Please correct me if I'm wrong here, since this may change my mind regarding my purchase.

Thanks
Scott

Scott,

That's incorrect. The L series lenses (at least the ones I've looked at) are all compatible with the Rebel. I know that the 16-35mm L and 17-40mm L are compatible, for example, and I would assume the rest are as well.

L is just the good stuff of the EF group. It's still an EF lens and all will fit the 300D(rebel).

Oh, OK.. thanks for the clarification. I knew what the L series lens were, I just thought I had read that the 300D wouldn't take them for some reason.

Thanks

Originally posted by John Olexa
Glad to hear the good comments about the Digital Rebel.

I'm deciding which to buy myself, the Rebel or the 10D. The only thing I heard neative about the rebel was the body, It's very fragile & can't take much abuse at all. But if your carfull what the heck.

I found one place a photography magazine that had the Digital Rebel, body only- $ 414.99 !! & the 10D body only- $709.99 !!.

And I've got a nice parcel of Tucson swampland I'd like to sell you!
http://photo.net/equipment/where-to-buy#screwed

B&H, Newegg, and maybe Adorama are about the only reputable mail order outfits I'd reccomend. I'm sure there are others, but PLEASE visit www.resellerratings.com before giving any of those NY warehouse shops a call (to say nothing of sharing your C.C. number!)

-Greg

Got this info off a deal site, lots of people getting this deal:

$546.89 Canon EOS Digital Rebel w/Lens Kit @ Sears.

Original Price $999.99
Pricematch to 42Photo.com $678.99
10% pricematch guarantee - $ 32.10
$646.89
Canon Rebate - $100.00

Net $546.89

Sears customer service said that they would price match to mail order if they also have a brick & mortar store.

42 photo has the Canon EOS Digital Rebel here for $689.99

http://www.42photo.com/productdetail.asp?l...productid=11082

Also, proof of retail store location here:

http://www.42photo.com/contactus.asp

Canon rebate info here:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/slr/.../CIWC101504.pdf

Here's another way:

1. Get the J&K Cameras ad from Digital Photo Pro (Nov/Dec issue) with some perverted Santa
2. Try to obtain another person's copy of PMed Sears receipt (just in case)
3. Print out the Price Match policy for Sears
4. YMMV @ your local Sears or as many as you can get through.
5. $449.99 is the lowest PM possible price so far with lens?
6. Merry Christmas????

Sears:
If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an identical branded item with the same features currently available for sale and delivery in your area from a local retail store's online site, Sears will match that total price Plus, give you 10% of the difference. Just print the ordering page, including shipping, handling and delivery, and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.

Not sure if you have to be a member to see this forum, but discussion on this deal is ongoing at http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messagevie...threadid=398991

I'm tempted to get myself a Christmas present

I would add Canoga Camera to the list of reputable dealers. I purchased my Rebel and lens from them last week and was very happy with the delivery time and packaging.

Also, my phone number on my credit card didn't match what I had entered into their system, and they called and talked to me about it. They asked me to change the number with my bank, and also to have the bank make a notation that I had personally approved the charge. This was their extra safety step since I had tripped an alarm. (I'm in all kinds of trouble these days!!) 8)

It was a little inconvenient but I appreciated the security steps they take. Their price for the entire setup I bought was $70 less than B&H.

Just ordered my 20D from B&H today! WOOT! Should be in by the end of the week hopefully, can't wait. My little Christmas present to myself. :D

Pretty good review, although I wonder why the place he recommends to get camera gear is amazon.com!?

Really it just comes down to what sytem you are using. He seems to focus in on the menu system which I never have had a problem with on Canon.

Aaron

Both are plenty good, but it baffles me why Nikon D70 didn't include the capability for ISO 100. May not make a difference to a lot of people, but I shoot mostly in 100, so for that reason, among a few other reasons is why I chose the 20D over the D70.

Originally posted by Kurt Hulst
Or what can also be known as longtime exposure.

Yeah, the exposure you'd typically use a cable release for, one where you allow it to expose as long as you want, whether it be 2 seconds or 2 days! That would be the one! :D

Back