Canon EOS Rebel vs. D20

Jay McCoy

EF5
I am going to be buying a new camera for next season and need some advice from experienced shooters.

I am a novice when it comes to photography. I have been looking at the EOS Rebel 6.3 as a good camera for what I plan on. I have read the posts about the D20 and even though it has better resolution it is much more expensive. I have found the 6.3 Rebel on Ebay with the 18-55 lens for $600. The D20 is closer to $1500.

My main question is does anybody have experience with the Rebel 6.3 and how was that experience. Also will the 18-55 meet most of my needs or will I also need the 40mm?

keep in mind I am stepping up from a 2.0 megapixel fuji (basic digital POS) :lol:

If you are new to DSLR's the digital rebel will probably be better for you. A bit less of a learning curve, unless you are willing to put a bunch of time into learning the in-outs-and-inbetweens of the 20D and post processing. The 18-55mm lens MAY suit your needs. Reviews on the lens are mixed. At anyrate, if you want full potential of your new camera... pick up a cheap prime such as the 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2. These are very sharp lenses for a resonable price. They will not limit what your camera's sensor is capable of.

Aaron

I've got the Rebel. I love that thing. About the only beef I have with it is that some of the controls take some menu diving to get to, which is not all that much fun when shooting (especially if it's dark). I really don't know if the D20 has an advantage in that respect.

At any rate, here's what I suggest: Get the Rebel and use the money you save to buy nicer glass. I've printed pictures from mine at 28"x17" on gloss and they look as good as magazine covers. The extra resolution of the D20 is nice, and is an indication of where the technology is going. But from a practical standpoint, the only way to utilize that resolution is to always use a tripod, have perfect focus, and a very good lens. And even then, you still need to use a magnifying glass to see the difference.

There's a few other things the D20 does better. I'm pretty sure it will take more pictures than the Rebel in burst mode. I believe it also goes to ISO 3200, while the Rebel only goes to ISO 1600. Basically, it can handle fast action more robustly. For slower stuff (like weather photography), those advantages are seldom needed.

I agree with the general consensus here ... it's best to go with the Digital Rebel and spend some extra cha ching on lenses. The body is only half the scenario. The Rebel will do everything you want it to do as a beginner, and even as an intermediate level photographer. It's just a matter of learning to use the features it has and learning the editing work. The extra resolution is superfluous ... not really necessary.

I dropped my Rebel last week on concrete ... thankfully it landed on the external flash ... still, it was a couple hundred dollar flash ... but better than ruining the camera. I was pretty nervous until I snapped off a couple and found out that it was okay.

I bought a Rebel this past summer and it works great for me. I also found out that if you use the "ultra II" memory card, you can take several more pictures in continuous mode. I took some lightning pics at about 15 sec shutter speed, and the delay between the shots were about as long as the film advance I had on the Rebel 35 mm film camera I had before.

Ok thanks guys. I have decided to go with the Rebel 6.3

Now as you said I should use the money I saved from not buying the 20D to buy good glass. How about some recommendations. i know nothing of lenses and quality. I do know it comes with an 18-55 lense but not sure of the glass quality.

I plan on mostly shooting storm structure and if I am lucky a few tornado stills. I may try some lightning too. I think I need to take a class at the local community college before next storm season :oops: I would also like to shoot storms over nice terrain (towering CU over a green field with flowers).

I do appreciate all the advice you guys are giving. Now I know how the noobs feel.

It's really pretty hard to make recommendations as far as lenses go, because everybody has their own personal tastes as to how they like to compose their shots. But I'll tell you what I use...

I started with an inexpensive Sigma zoom kit that included a 28-80mm and a 70-300mm lenses. They were not very good, but at $200, they were enough to get me going. Over time, I have graduated to the following three that basically cover all my needs:

Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

I prefer zoom flexibility and IS over the sharpness of primes, but I'll bet Aaron can give you quite a bit of good info on going that route.

Yeah I would make sure to get a different lens for sure. It's really pretty dang soft alot of times wide open(yeah it "should be", but dang) and it can be hard at times to stop it down while chasing. Also I've noticed in lower light conditions it can give off some really crappy colors along with alot of moire in high contrast areas(as well as some slow contrast regions). It also loves chromatic aberation(spelling?). Though I am hearing that is pretty typical to digital. As for the iso settings I think you can get away with upping the iso a ways if you aren't shooting a storm or sky(I won't go over 200). Low contrast regions love to go nasty with noise. As for what lens, I am still trying to decide myself. I will say while chasing that thing rarely rarely comes off the 18mm side. I'd bet I could get a 20mm prime and be happy for most all chasing. Instead of switching lenses you can always just drive closer to the tornado(I'm kidding). The two L lenses 16-35mm and 17-40mm are really tempting. I've read some crazy reviews on the 16-35 lens and it sounds like GOLD. Too bad it's priced like gold at $1300 or so. If you do get a prime I'd consider a 20mm, unless their good 20mm has issues or something.

Mike

I just received my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L today. All I can say is wow. The lens came with a large lens hood, case, and tripod ring. It is built like a tank. You definetly get your $$$s worth. I plan on putting up a review for it later...

Aaron

Aaron - mind if I ask what kind of deal you got on it? - Also curious about your favorite wide angle ... what's the widest you shoot with and what do you recommend that way for the Digital Rebel -

Thanks -

I bought it used for $940 including shipping. The lens was only 2 months old. Guy said he just used primes more for sports. Came with original box and warrenty card so it was basically new.

As for wide angle, I just sold my 20mm Sigma. Good lens, but just not wide enough. After I get the funds for my 100mm prime I just sold on ebay, I'll be jumping to the 17-40mm L. That *should* provide me enough wide angle.. and even if it doesn't, the advantages for chasing with this focal length range is great.

My new lens collection will be:
17-40 f/4 L
50mm f/1.4
70-200 f/2.8 L

Someday, maybe i'll splurge for the 24-70 f/2.8 L, but the above combo should suit me well. I'll miss the primes and my 300mm, but chasing isn't suited to switching lenses every minute.

Aaron

Glad to hear the good comments about the Digital Rebel.

I'm deciding which to buy myself, the Rebel or the 10D. The only thing I heard neative about the rebel was the body, It's very fragile & can't take much abuse at all. But if your carfull what the heck.

I found one place a photography magazine that had the Digital Rebel, body only- $ 414.99 !! & the 10D body only- $709.99 !!.

The Rebel is a fantastic camera for the price and with the firmware hack that is floating around on the internet you can open up several very usefull features on the camera. About the only complaint I have on the Rebel is it's 4 shot buffer and slower write speeds to memory.
The 18-55 lens is a sloppy, plastic lens that costs about 100 bucks but takes pretty good photos if you stop it down a bit. You won't find a cheaper alternative that gives you such a wide FOV.

I am really looking forward to getting myself a 20D sometime down the road. For now, the Rebel is doing everything I need it to.

Back