Bad chase year - change of plans for 06?

Saw and photographed great storms, including a tornado few others saw; learned ever more about chasing and the zen thereof; got to spend two weeks with my wife doing something we both love; escaped some of Phoenix' outrageous spring heat.

Saw the Nebraska sandhills for the 1st time; ate at Ryan's repeatedly; spent more on gas for the rental van than on the van itself; actually got rained on a few times; found 1000 new uses for Velcro.

You bet we'll be out again next year, and wish our jobs & etc. allowed us to be out right now! :)

2006 won't be any different than 2005 in terms of my chasing plans... only things to change this would be financial issues, extreme gas prices, job obligations, etc. As for the weather, who knows... but I certainly am not going to cut back cause of a bad season this year... you just gotta lick your wounds and move on. I will be out full time next season just as I was this season!

Originally posted by nickgrillo
... And by next Spring when I graduate, I'll move down here (OU)...

Nick,
If you’re coming to the plains to see tornados, you should pick something closer to NEBRASKA.

=\"nickgrillo... And by next Spring when I graduate, I'll move down here (OU)...

And the next spring/summer will be the best michigan storm season ever and i will have it all to myself. :roll: :lol:

I have no plans to change anything. a week ago i had seen a total of 3 thunderstorms for the year, nothing more then lightning and thunder, no wind hail anything.

Sunday I seen 1 wallcloud, one very nice RFD that was blowing dust perfectly, one amazing shelf cloud, winds of near 60mph and tons of dime to quarter sized hail. I chased a total of maybe 75 miles that day, so even without seeing a tornado, i'll take that in a second

Seriously, this whole hobby isn't about storms. Its about driving 1,000 miles, taking a picture of a spinning cloud that might or might not be visible, and driving a 1.000 miles back. ;)

I can always drive. The tornados are just the icing on the cake.; )

Going to try to make a couple changes for next year...as in try to arrange school and work schedule to be more chase friendly.
I'm really fairly pleased with what I did get this year...3 for 3 as far as catching storms, was chasing lightning in February and finally got a couple tornadoes Saturday (I feel much better now :D 8) ) I did miss the two really good days because of school, but you can't chase or catch them all.
One slow season does not make a climatological change...maybe Mom Nature is just telling us to rest up for now, and she'll make it up to us later :wink:
Angie

Things are not really going to change for me, I will still make the trip over from England for a two week period during May and keep a few days and some cash spare for a last minute dash back out during June. Actually the drop every thing and go when the pattern looks good is quite cost effective for me. Sure the flights cost a lot at short notice ~ but I can always select a final airport nearish to to target.

In 2003 I spent almost 6 weeks chasing and spent quite a few days paying for hotels and food etc (and not being able to earn any money back in the UK) with a terrible pattern. In 2004 I chased for three weeks, came home and then flew out again to catch the May 29th Harper tornadoes.

No I wont change my plans ~ but I do find my self less and less in the TX Panhandles so Oklahoma City is the furest south airport I would wish to fly into.

Originally posted by Mickey Ptak+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mickey Ptak)</div>
Originally posted by Kurt Silvey+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kurt Silvey)
<!--QuoteBegin-nickgrillo
@
... And by next Spring when I graduate, I'll move down here (OU)...

Nick,
If you’re coming to the plains to see tornados, you should pick something closer to NEBRASKA.[/b]

:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:[/b]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

<!--QuoteBegin-nickgrillo

LOL, I also choose OK over KS/NE because of warmer temps (finally getting away from Detroit winters), and NE doesn't get too much warmer then MI in the fall/winter... LOL :lol:[/quote]

Ok, Ne winters do suck, err, blow, err, ... are not nice. But our springs and summers!

It cost me allot of money and allot of time away from the job / wife / baby... only saw a few good storms after driving a total of 3,600 miles in 8 days... and YES I will be back out there again next May.

Wisconsin has been productive as far as twisters go lately. i should know...i chase them to the Minnesota border and then they turn into something once into Wisconsin. i got some good pics on the site last night. not of a tornado of course...cause that only happens in Wisconsin :cry: ....lol

There will always be good years and there will always be bad years. The bad years will weed out some chasers who aren't serious. I plan on chasing till I die. Once it's in your blood it never leaves.

Live to chase. Chase to live.

Motto of many on this site. Don't ever change it either, I want to hear every detail from the chase. Keep the vid caps and blogs coming!!

'06 will most likely be the same as '05 for me. My car never left the driveway due to NO ACTIVITY LOCALLY. I got a new transmission, now nothing good is happening skyward here. Since I can't use the 'when I grow up I am going to chase storms on the plains" addage, mine will be "when I get all these kids out/have some funds/RETIRE most likely, I am going to chase storms on the plains." :lol:

I can't see where forecasting '06 now will help you at all. The only thing that could anticipate change would be finances/living arrangements. Who knows what '06 will bring? If you have such a bad taste in your mouth over '05, then being a chaser may not be what you are cut out for. You come sit here while I go out and have some fun. :wink:

Bad chase year (not!)

I am starting to wonder why this thread was started, this chase year has not been that bad (not bad for myself at all) and is really picking up! Just today alone there has been hail reported that has been as big as 4 inches in diameter and at least 31 tornado reports, I still believe there is hope left for anyone living in the plains/midwest who is having a "bad chase year". :D

Back