Bad chase year - change of plans for 06?

Bad Chase year, change of plans for 06?

If tornados were easy to see and the weather was easy to predict, it would not be nearly as exciting. The fact is that skill and patience were the name of the game for 2006. Some of the better chasers seen several tornados this year. That makes me want to hit the books just that much harder this off season. I love a challenge, and finding tornados when others cannot is the big pay-off.
For me "06" will be a big change. No more picking 2 weeks out of a hat and buying a plane ticket from Arizona hoping to see action. I picked the worst 10 days of the whole season this year! I am in the process of buying a Suburban and decking it out to the max with equipment. (All stealth, no flashers and stickers for me). I will be driving out from Phoenix when things look more promising. To hell with the "death ridge" you can keep those!

Although I am disapointed in this season so far given this is the driest storm season in my lifetime, I do realize that there are still a couple months left for the Great Lakes area. I am keeping some hope and faith that one time this month I will head out on the first chase of the year (yeah I haven't even headed out yet). There will always be tomorrow, there will always be next year. It's just the way the weather patterns happen to be... each year is different, and you won't see me quitting (although I have joked a few times). I realize there is nothing I can do to change the weather, so I just have to accept the fact that this season has not been very good for me so far. Chasing storms is in my blood so I am very determined to head to the plains for the first time next year. I was about to go down this year, but important plans have changed that.

I guess this means I should get my ham license and practice using my soon-to-be-new video camera.

As Shane Adams once said on his website....

Without the busted chase, we would not appreciate the good ones.

I think I would have to agree with that one.

Guys, its not as if we are even done with 2005. And people are already talking about changing plans in 2006? I could have sworn we just had a high risk two days ago...and another big day forecasted tomorrow. Maybe I'm wrong here...but we're currently in the peak of this year's season, and I find it kind of odd that one can already determine that this year is a failure. We've had this discussion one too many times this year. Just chill, and let it come. IMO, persistance is going to pay off this year. Those who are throwing in the towel may regret that soon.

This year for me has just begun. Last week, I had zero tornadoes for the year. Just in the last four days I have seen four tornadoes and some absolutely beautiful supercells.

The only thing I can say is that I will come better prepared. Not so much in the chase equipment dept, but a better understanding of how this fluid atmosphere works.

Remember, There will always be the down days in no matter what you do. Without a firm understanding a bust is very likely even if you have a steller chase vehicle with all the toys on a high risk day.....

I feel I will be more effective with knowledge on good OR bad days. I can remember when I first started doing this 10 years ago I could'nt even see decent storm structure let alone a rain drop on a mod risk day!

With that said, I will hit the books, ect when summer comes.

For me, the harder it is to get it, the more I want it.

Are you kidding me? Quit?? No way! Once an addict, always an addict...I mean, storm chaser. :)

Sarah

Well, I am tired, pissed, dissapointed and poor. Two weeks trying to chase under the ridge from hell. 7000 miles and no tornadoes, only a couple of weak supercells. Most days were down or driving days. I then flew out for one day on June 4th, was on the tornadic storm of the day from the beginning, made one road error and missed the tornado. arrghhh!!

Of course, I will chase again but I hate 2005!! I will make one adjustment in strategy. I have to schedule a block of vacation time in advance with little flexibility but if there is a huge death ridge, I will delay coming out (or come home early). I blew a lot of money and time driving across Tornado Alley for marginal stuff that I probably won't bother with during a "normal year." Chasing and driving to potential marginal stuff made sightseeing and exploring difficult. I know unusual things can occur but that is usally when the upper level dynamics are generally favorable and some small and overlooked surface feature triggers a tornado. Not under a death ridge. No more trying to chase under death ridges.

Bill Hark

Come on...geez. It's not like this is the first time we have had a slow year...and besides, it's not even over yet (as this past weekend shows). There is no way to even possibly plan next years chasing based on this season. Quite simply, you chase on the days that are chasable...be it 5 days or 50 in a season. There is no way that you can sit here and tell me that any legitimate chaser would stay at home on a weekend like this past one just because last years season was so slow, he did not plan to chase on those days...oh well, so sorry, tough luck...better luck next week on the planned days.

Anybody who's whole chase season revolves around a planned "chase vacation" of 1 to 2 weeks in the plains is chasing Vegas style...roll the dice and take what you get. There is nothing wrong with this, but it does contain inherent risks, and if you do chase only on a vacation, you should be willing to accept this. Chasing offers no promise of success or failure...the chase is what you make it. The disappointment comes from one's own expectations.

Slow years are going to happen on occaision, that's all part of chasing. If Mother Nature wants to act like a b***h one year, I personally wouldnt let that affect my chasing decisions for the following year. In my opinion, the 2005 season is far from over, June and July can be very active months, so I'd wait a while before making any plans for next year. This year has been crap for me since I've been stuck at work during most of the recent events, hopefully I can free up during next year's season.

Slow seasons will come, thats how nature works. Not every season will be like 2003 and 2004. Even in season like the past 2 this is no guarentee you would even see a storm up close let alone a tornado. Storm chasing isint good for people with little or no patience and dont like failure more times than not.

8 days; several supercells, one of which absolutely beautiful, most not so much; 2 certifiable busts, no tornadoes.

Much learned. More desired. I've been back in PHX one day, and already I'm thinking I'll drive to Denver around early July and see if there's any NE CO/NE Panhandle action.

Missing out is part of chasing, and makes the successes more meaningful. Days like Saturday are no longer annoying b/c I did my best best and understood that I have to take what Nature gives. Saturday, She gave us something other than we expected/wanted (Hiawatha baggers excepted).

If I cut back on chasing in 2006, it'd be because of severe family or financial issues. But as of now, I hope to take two weeks come next June instead of one.

Chasing is wonderful. Giving up on wonder = death. I'd advise against it :)

EDIT: It would be nice, if I was allowed to move to the plains, my biggest problems still comes down to I hate driving back and forth from Michigan to get out to the plains, all revolves my father and his house.

Mike

Lets see here...

Three busts, no travel time (since I never left home). Total cost to chase this year: $0.

Would've chased on Sunday, but looking at the road construction on Monday, it looked absolutely impossible to get through fast enough to the Saginaw-Bad Axe area. Good squall line, tho.

I had the first chase that ever made me want to quit last week. I drove 3000 miles spent $700 had two big cap busts and nothing went right when there was severe weather on the third day. I did not make it home until 9pm Sunday night and one look at the models for this week and I want to go again. The only thing I would like to change for 2006 are things I can't control like the weather pattern and every single weather model out there!!!

Here are the reasons I would not quit:
1) I LOVE CHASING and I could not quit even if I ran out of money.

Originally posted by rdewey
If I have the funds available, I will make a trip to the plains next year... Nick Grillo has already surpassed me, now I feel obligated to exceed him! :lol:

Ha! You'll never exceed me! :twisted: :lol:

The year has been pretty good to me, and I've caught numerous tornadoes/supercells across the Plains/Midwest, so I am very happy. I had a very good first "Plains" vacation... And by next Spring when I graduate, I'll move down here (OU)...

Yeah, 2005 was a slow season to some, but to other, it wasn't bad at all. I consider myself pretty successful this year, and there have been plenty of good setups this year to chase, but if you are those few people who wait for the "perfect" setup, well, then there isn't any - so quit chasing...

Back