9/30/05 NOW: NW TX-SW OK

Yeah. The lightning is nearly constant. Large wall cloud with lowering now being reported SW of Lakeside city. The striations are being described as a large beehive. They must be looking right into the main updraft.

Originally posted by Jason A.C. Brock
Yeah. The lightning is nearly constant. Large wall cloud with lowering now being reported SW of Lakeside city. The striations are being described as a large beehive. They must be looking right into the main updraft.
Yeah, I can tell man! Check out the lightning detection map https://thunderstorm.vaisala.com/tux/jsp/ex...er/explorer.jsp -- it's extremely frequent! What makes some supercells have more lightning than others. Some supercells have lightning very rarely, where as others are like tonights. What angle are the spotters at near the storm SSE? I didn't know you had to be looking into the main updraft to see striations. I hope the tornado isn't rain-wrapped, because it could become a dangerous situation. Hook is still pretty sweet in the OK vicinity.

hook8222222228iv.jpg

They are situated exactly SSE. Also spotters near Indiahoma area near Lawton reported a couple brief tornadoes near Indiahoma with light damage like powerlines down and branches etc. Still reporting rotation on the Archer storm.

Originally posted by Jason A.C. Brock
They are situated exactly SSE. Also spotters near Indiahoma area near Lawton reported a couple brief tornadoes near Indiahoma with light damage like powerlines down and branches etc. Still reporting rotation on the Archer storm.

Yep, rotation is still VERY strong in the Archer storm. I'm surprised it has not gotten it's tornado warning back..looks like it's gotten it's act together FAST.

Comanche County storm is trying to come back it looks like, but the radar structure is still ugly. Norman is on the amatuer radio now saying they will not issue a tornado warning for the storm down stream ATTM.

I wonder why they won't? I trust there judgement, but I still would like to know why. It has the potential to produce 'to me'. The Camanche County Storm has a tornado warning on it, but I bet it will expire soon, because it looks like rotation in the southern part of it, has died down a bit...The Archer county storm is doing something quite Funky with it's radar structure, lol...it's sort of twisting/binding, looks like it might develop into a hook.

The Comanche (now Caddo) county storm is reorganizing and is looking much better on radar now than 15 min ago. If inflow can become established once again, which it appears to be in the process of doing, this should become tornado-warned for the second time.

The main rotational couplet, if you can call it that, is located in between Cyril and Cement and as I'm writing this theyve issued an SVR for that area. I guess OUN thinks this isn't gonna produce again, but I'm not so sure...guess thats why I'm sitting at my computer at home, and theyre at the NWSFO.

Sam, if it gets tornado warned won't it be for the third time, rather than the second? Yes, it is looking much better on radar now, but I can not tell if it's getting inflow, I'm not sure how to really discern that. Just checked....geez, it's developing a hook echo again, and has strong rotation...why doesn't Norman think it's going to produce! I really think the chances are pretty good for it to get stronger...There is some very strong VIL along the Apache County it's in the 72.7 KG/m2 area...really high...the tops to these supercells aren't extremely high, but they aren't extremely low either, sort of just moderate.

Grady County (fmr Comanche Co) Storm

Its definitely on an up cycle right now it seems, still nothing like it looked before. GR3 has a meso out on, but well up in the storm - nothing below 10,000 ft. Looks like it should be a good hail producer here in Norman if it maintains course - time to bring the new car inside. :D

The North Texas storms still are hanging in there, and it sounded like some structure damage down in that area (reported over HAM). Doesn't look like anything has been reported out by OUN yet, but I'll listen if I hear it again.

I'll be curious to see what hail reports come out of Chickasha...the precip core is really pounding the area right now and with VILs ~60 kg/m2 wouldn't be surprised to see golfball+ verify. Tornado threat looks minimal at the moment and with the storm near the population centers of KCHK and KOUN (in the near future), this is a very good thing.

Looks like 1.75 inch at Chickasha. VIL has really come down in this storm, so we'll see if it pulses back before getting us here in Norman. New car is in now, so thats probably why it is weakening. ;)

Back