8/9/2004 NOW: GREAT LAKES/CANADA

Severe Thunderstorm Warning just issued for De Witt
County in central Illinois for the storms that recently form.
Edit for Logan and Menard Counties now warned.

Mike

Actually mid-level rotation looks quite nice - L2!

I can see the storm quite nicely from my place 50 miles away, talk about a rare event...

- Rob

It's at a bad angle for road structure around here... I'm holding out hope for the stuff now near BEH - but still reserving the right to shoot up 127 if the GRR cell stays hefty!

6-8 degree tilts show nice rotation and very slanted tops!

---
Gotta let that one go, it's an hour from here to Montalm Co and with this storm moving northeast instead of east I'll never catch it. Still looking good for the next batch.

- Rob

Most of these cells appear to be splitting, with right moving cells dominate. The cell northeast of LAN still looking pretty good, it did appear to weaken slightly, but its now back in business, with several appendages - Best couplet on the SRV appears to be at the 1.5 scan...

GRR VAD shows very good directional shear in the lower 0-3KM layer, with S to SSE SFC winds, veering to the west between 4K and 15K feet...

Soundings from the 23Z 1HR forecast RUC, modified for SFC parcels based on OBS indicate 1800-2000J/KG of CAPE still available...

The one to my NW still looks visually very impressive side-lit. The one just south of GRR looks beautiful - but not strong.

I think I'm targeting the one south of Allegan as I'm about ready to head out the door and south on I-69.

Have two options chase the storms 30 some miles to my north in Kent County moving away from me or chased the stuff in Allegan County. Decided to chase southern Allegan County, stay out of the core of the storm for once, nothing to report in the way of severe weather. Trees were reported down in Cooper in Kalamazoo County.

Mike

I just returned from chasing the cell that developed in Grand Rapids. Interesting to get home and read these discussions, but having just looked at the radar, I'm wondering how things have fared for those of you to my east. It's certainly turned into an active weather night.

When I took off after the Grand Rapids cell, it was pretty much the only thing going on the radar, barring one little dude just initiating to the southwest. The GR storm hadn't yet developed the hook mentioned previously, but it had gone from a fleck of red to a healthy triangular shape, it was nice and isolated, and I figured I had nothing to lose.

I caught up with the storm somewhere around the Belding area and chased down M57 east as far as M66. There were a few lowerings right about where they should have been to be interesting, and the storm seemed fairly well orgranized, but it lacked steam. I wonder how it would have done with a little more CAPE.

On the way back, I could see more storms developing to my south and southeast. With twilight disappearing, the clouds glowed dim white against a clear, starry sky, putting on a nice display of lightning. Beautiful. This was a pleasant way to spend a Monday evening.

To me, this was a bust. Yet I wasn't planning on chasing anyways today...

Other than a few wind reports, it was pretty much nothing!

Headed down US127 to catch the Calhoun storm but that died before entering Jackson Co, so went back up to get the southern Clinton storm but that died too... Still getting incredible views of distant lightning which is very rare for Michigan!

- Rob

A storm has blown up in Livingston county and is looking rather potent at the time... if it keeps up it's easterly track - it will come over my house.

Back