7/12/06 DISC: NJ / NY / CT

Hi:

I have been trying to find some video or picture of the tornado and damage. Here is a link to WCBS TV that is posting images from viewers. NOTE that there are 2 pictures of a moderate to large sized tornado that a viewer already got!! A monster...especially for these parts. Judging by the damage I have seen, I would estimate that the NWS will come in a F1-F2 rating on this. More video/pics to come as I find them.

http://wcbstv.com/slideshows/local_slidesh...56/view?slide=3

Nice pics! But the caption: "Another view of the possible tornado" - I'd say there's no "possible" about it, that's definitely a tornado. Nice one, too... Wish I could have seen it in person.

I imagine we'll be seeing a great many more pictures and video of this event, seeing as how it occurred in one of the most highly populated areas of the country (and one of the most affluent, not that it matters).

Nice pics of the tornado. It looks like a fat, stubby funnel. One meteorologist said it was probably an F1. It supposedly grabbed a police cruiser and spun it around with a cop at the wheel. :blink:

There's some video of the funnel as well, which I saw; the video looks a bit more indistinct.

A nasty squall line just moved through my area; frequent lightning.

Does anybody know some of the hard hit addresses? Street names and towns. I'd like to go do a survey and take some photos.

Does anybody know some of the hard hit addresses? Street names and towns. I'd like to go do a survey and take some photos.
[/b]

From WABC:

ROADS:

Route 9A remains closed to traffic in both directions from Route 100C, Grasslands Road in Greenburgh, to Route 117, Bedford Road, in Mount Pleasant.
The section of the Saw Mill River Parkway that was closed has reopened. Only the ramp at Exit 25, which leads to Route 9A, is still closed.
Route 22 remains closed in both directions at the Route 120 intersection in North Castle.
Route 134 also is closed in both directions at the IBM plant.

I know Hawthorne and Moutn Pleasant, NY were hard hit.

I just took a drive over to NY. I was at the intersection of NY 120 and NY 22 and it was indeed closed. I pulled over and took some pictures at the Swiss Re corporate office. Nothing special, just lots of downed trees.

c9758741c8.jpg

942bf71dfa.jpg

9ef2b38dd2.jpg

adf670b430.jpg

Yesterday was definitely an interesting day. My weather radio alarm was going off every 5 minutes! :blink: I'm surprised I didn't drain the battery. :p

From Joe Guerra's link:

Witness: "Damage wise, it's like the worst I've ever scene it."

Karen Olstein: "It's the worse I've ever seen. It was just moving, I have no doubt it was a funnel cloud."
[/b]

:lol:

Don't these folks bother to check their spelling when they type this stuff up?? :rolleyes:

Did anyone interview the cop who was in the police cruiser that was tossed around? I'd love to hear his account of what happened. :eek:

Well by looking at that cellphone pic (gee, where has this thing happened before) thats pretty big! No doubt the tornado itself is smaller, but that looks like a hefty size funnel if you ask me, hopefully a better video will come out.

The tornado in the cell phone video looks more like a transparent debris cloud/rotating rain curtains than a condensation funnel on the ground.

What's interesting is that we've had two tornado-related events, about a month and a half apart. We had a funnel cloud that traveled over Bayonne NJ, but never really touched the ground, and now this F2 tornado in Westchester.

I don't remember two tornadic events happening in this area that close together. :blink:

Where did you get the F2 information? I haven;t seen it rated as of yet. Also, tornadoes are more common in these part than one would think.

Confirmed Tornadoes From 1996-2006:
All of New York State: 94
All of New Jersey: 20
Suffolk County, NY: 8

Back