2019-7-19 NOVICE REPORT: MN/WI/MI

Welcome to the sport! I will offer this - Commercial glass shops will offer a product called Security Film from 3M. It's a thick, though clear window film that goes on like tint. I would recommend that for the inside and outside of all your glass. It would be much harder to break in the future.

A follow up on VIL - Don't rely on it to tell you where hail is located. As a derived product that requires a full scan at every tilt, it takes much too long to update. Also, hail cores are not always perfectly vertically stacked.

I really appreciate this thread, and especially the fact that you were willing to share your personal experience. It really shows how careful we need to be out there. I’m currently a junior in high school, and I don’t have time to chase, just observe from wherever I am if a storm happens to roll in. Your experience really shows what can happen at the truly bad end of the storm chasing scenario spectrum.

Considering hail, wind, tornadic potential etc., the Storm Prediction Center’s Mesoscale Analysis page is extremely helpful in evaluating which severe hazards will be dominant on a particular day. However, you have to be able to understand atmospheric parameters and apply them to the severe setup. I certainly recommend understanding the basic parameters like CAPE (instability), wind shear, lapse rates, etc., at the least.

Link: SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis

Thanks again for sharing, Christene!

You're welcome @Nick Dewhirst. At first I felt pretty embarrassed about it, but after watching more videos, it seems to be a mistake that many make when first starting out and not having the proper training. I'm so glad you not only enjoy the thread, but that it was insightful. My perseverance finally paid off today as I was able to meet 2 meteorologists who are skilled with storm chasing. Plus, I got to ride with one of them for the latest storms in Minnesota. I'll be looking forward to checking out your link. Thanks.

Also thanks to @B. Dean Berry for the glass suggestion! I'm looking forward to learning more about that as well.

Yes, a lot of good comments here. Some main things to watch out for and know when chasing...

Know what direction and speed the storms are traveling at all times.

Pay attention to right turning supercells. These are ones that turn right....Example...storm begins heading east, then takes a drastic turn to the southeast or even south.

If you don't have a standalone Garmin GPS, get one before you chase again. You always have to know where you are, and what roads are near your location.

In regards to the above tip, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS know at least 2 escape routes at all times.

Stay away from HP High precip storms. They are no fun to chase, at least in my opinion.

Always keep your gas tank half full, and fill up whenever you can.

Never chase at night. Again, this is just my opinion.

Never put full trust in any radar app. Like the others, I recommend radarscope, but learn to look at radar for some guidance, but put full trust in your eyes, especially when you get better at identifying storm structure/type.

Personally, I recommend having 2 radar apps. I use Radarscope and RadarOmega. I've been chasing when 1 app was acting weird, so I was able to rely on the other for guidance. Most of my equipment is treated like outdoor survivalists. The saying goes......2 is 1, and 1 is none.

Stay a few miles away from the storm until you get comfortable with getting a bit closer. Try to identify features from 5 or 6 miles away. Generally, being south of the storm will be the safest place to be.

Kudos to you for taking on your first chase, but be careful out there. Also, good call on staying put in your vehicle. It could have turned nasty if you would have tried to run into the gas station.

Last edited:
I will add that radar data is always old. Yes it's always old.

Takes about 5 minutes to complete a volume scan and disseminate it. Even the fastest apps run 5-8 minutes behind real-time.

Why is that important? It is vital to mentally adjust the radar for safety and tracking. Don't race a cell across a road. It has a 5-8 minute head start.

Pine City, MN: Moderate Risk Turned Derecho

Although I’ve been out looking at clouds during tornado watches and warnings before, I may put this down as my official first chase. My knowledge and experience with severe storms is minimal, but I thought this storm was interesting enough to be shared. The following events happened during a tornado-warned storm, but my footage only documents what happened as the storm approached and then what it was like to be inside my car as softball-sized hail totaled my vehicle.

The day started with parts of Minnesota already at Moderate Risk. To me, this meant greater chances of a tornado. As a novice, I didn’t really think about how severe the rest of the weather could be. I asked a person on twitter where might be a good place to camp to take photos. He suggested northerly, so I packed up what I thought I’d need and headed out.

Before I reached my targeted destination of Hinckley, Minnesota; I received a tornado warning via my cellphone. I went to the nearest gas station, which was just south of Pine City, to assess my situation. According to the radar app, the warning was actually to the west. All the clouds appeared to be to the north and heading easterly. Since I had just come through some serious construction to the south of me, I decided to stay put. Given the circumstances, I thought I was in the safest area to take photos and document my new adventure.

View attachment 19380

As the storm progressed, I was soon to discover that I was pretty much in the worst place I could possibly be in Minnesota at that time. Although Wisconsin wound up receiving the worst of this storm, at least 2 different news vans showed up at my location to talk to various people that got extensive hail damage.

View attachment 19385
What radar looked after the storm hit my area.

No tornado was spotted during the warning, but several were later reported as the storm pushed into Wisconsin. According to several news reports and NOAA, “A record strong jet stream by mid-July standards in the Pacific Northwest punched into the northern Plains and southern Canada just north of an east-to-west oriented frontal boundary that stretched across the upper Midwest. These ingredients combined to provide both the extreme instability (hot, humid air near the ground topped by relatively cool air several thousand feet aloft), moisture and source of lift (the frontal system) for this squall line of severe thunderstorms. An atmospheric sounding taken at the National Weather Service office in Chanhassen, Minnesota, Friday evening found a measure of instability known to meteorologists as surface-based CAPE was the highest on record, there. This prompted a rare "potentially dangerous situation" severe thunderstorm watch from NOAA's Storm Prediction Center, which mentioned potential peak wind gusts up to 105 mph possible. According to Storm Prediction Center warning coordination meteorologist Patrick Marsh, the last time the SPC issued a watch with that high a potential thunderstorm wind gust was in mid-June 2009.” - quoted from TWC.

I have a small YouTube channel that initially focused on my journey to lose weight, but I've wanted to start incorporating how my body image has affected some of the goals I’ve wanted to achieve. Storm chasing has definitely been one of them. As I mentioned before, I documented most of my experience of that day. I broke it into 3 videos to help those that may only want to see one aspect or another. Part 2, is definitely the one I’d say best suits this forum. It’s a tad dramatic, but I did try and break down how the storm developed using time stamps and personal footage.

I show more of my car’s damage in my third video, but I will share some of the photos here.
View attachment 19381
My back window, shortly after the storm.

View attachment 19383
The large dent is an indication at the size of the hail as it went through my back window.

View attachment 19382
There is nothing left of my driver's side window, but you can see 2 of the hail still inside my car.

View attachment 19384
The front windshield. Thankfully, I was able to drive home.

Looking back on that day, I go back and forth between feeling like a cautionary tale; to feeling like it's probably a right of passage for anyone that goes out looking for severe weather. If nothing else, I'm hoping it delivers a strong message of the difference between romanticizing the idea of storm chasing; to the reality of the dangers and risks that are involved, even when you're trying to stay "safe".
I was chasing that day. Drove through Pine City after the fact, because getting out of metro traffic on a Friday afternoon was a lot slower than I had first thought. It was one of those days that just left me in awe of the power of nature.

Back