7/12/06: NOW: PA / NJ / NY

I'll be, we have inflow in Norwalk.

Yes, this system is now in lower Fairfield county.

Looks like the indicated meso will pass over my home town of Darien, CT. Of course, I am in Norwalk right now, the next town over.

Still inflow dominated here...going to a safe area.

Brian:

Make sure to get out your video camera and digital camera :). This supercell still has a persistent rotation indicating a tornado...and it's going to pass directly over your town shortly!!! Let us know how you make out (After calling the NWS to give them a report 1st, of course).

WHOA....We have problems in Westchester County!!!

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY
415 PM EDT WED JUL 12 2006

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0355 PM TORNADO HAWTHORNE 41.10N 73.79W
07/12/2006 WESTCHESTER NY FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

TORNADO DAMAGE, BUILDING COLLAPSED WITH PEOPLE TRAPPED

The cell has moved out into the Sound. Looks like the main action went to my southwest over Darien. I'm going to go do some recon later...will report then.

Very dark in New Haven now, and we're quite a ways away from the cell. Hope things in Westchester aren't as bad as that report makes out - I'm not hearing any confirmation about a building collapse, at least not on News 88, which is usually on top of these things.

There's still a pretty good couplet showing on radar, Long Island might be next...

WCBS New York is now streaming live news coverage of the tornado damage. There is A LOT of damage in the Hawthorne, NY area. Cars were tossed, windows broken, trees toppled over, roofs were damaged and a building housing a cabinet company has been leveled. All of this confirmed by the Emergency Management Office.

Judging by the looks of the tree tops, toppled trees and signs that are bent down the same way, this was undoubtedly a tornado.

Talked to my family earlier today and mentioned the possibility of tornadoes this afternoon, but obviously this was more significant than our average severe weather events...by far. Damage was west of my town, which is two towns east of Bill O's, and News12 is reporting that some of it is quite significant.

Officials say one of the hardest hit was the Hawthorne area in Mount Pleasant. State police confirmed a warehouse collapse where they are treating the injured. A spokesman for Westchester County's Emergency Management says some cars flipped over on the Route 9A corridor. Police say a funnel cloud there picked up a police cruiser. The officer was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.[/b]
-->Tornado rips path of destruction through Westchester

By the sounds of it, it touched down over the Hudson River just north of the Tappan Zee (what an amazing site that must have been for motorists on the heavily-travelled span!!) and moved through several towns in Westchester County and possibly into Greenwich CT before dissipating.

As of right now there are severe thunderstom warnings in effect for the immediate NYC metro area, and there are no indications of any tornadic activity associated with them.

CBS2 in NY has "one of the most powerful media radars in the nation" as the OCM put it earlier, and it sure as heck did a great job picking up a well-defined hook echo associated with the Westchester supercell.

Click the video on the CBS page to watch the recap of the events.

You sure dont see those very often in this part of the country.

Bill,

Looks like you just missed seeing the waterspout/tornado. It must have lifted over your town and then dropped again.

0510 PM WATER SPOUT 10 S STRATFORD 41.06N 73.13W
07/12/2006 ANZ335 CT BROADCAST MEDIA

MEDIA REPORTS THAT UNITED STATES COAST GUARD SPOTTED
WATERSPOUT OVER LONG ISLAND SOUND.[/b]

Back