5/29/04: NOW: N Kansas and Nebraska (north targets)

SPC seems to be a little slow on the switch. The inflow tail of the Beloit storm is bearing down on Concordia, seems to be developing a core, and is a lot closer than 20 miles west of Concordia at 5:20 IMHO.

The cell South of St. Joe now has enhanced rotation.
It's closing in on I-29.

Oh, I hope my boyfriend is ok. HE's on I-29, and will be either near St. Joe or KC depending on how many times he's stopped.

Bill Hark and Jason Persoff confirm that a wedge tornado occurred earlier northwest/north of Jamestown (certainly suggested by that dramatic hook, then eyewall, then occlusion on the reflectivity loops) at roughly 2250-2300Z. Jim Leonard was on it, and said there was a mile-wide damage path. He broke off the chase to help a family trapped in a collapsed house (they are fine now). Hwy 765 (?) is closed off and that forced many chasers to divert east to Concordia before pickin the storm back up north.

Another brief touchdown occurred north of Jamestown KS at around 2325Z but dissipated. The storm appears to be going through another dramatic cycle, this time more rainwrapped, but there are no chasers I know of who are in position at this time.

Tim

Kansas City TV stations reporting mile-wide tornado just NW of Cameron, Missouri, about to cross I-35, heading ENE.

Tornado Emergency declared for Cameron.

Back